The 650 Dakar Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by underwaterguru, Mar 10, 2009.

1. atFault

atFault Logical Positivist

Oddometer:
    Yeah, it's called a plotter. You can either run them with pens or blades with some modification.

Earlier models the stickers are under the clearcoat, but later ones they are on top. I'm not sure where the cutoff is, but my '07 has them on top.

When you order vinyl it's up to you what you want to get, but essentially most places stock several thicknesses. If you tell them you want to use it on a motorcycle they will likely recommend 4 mil (0.004") thickness, but you may want to go with something thinner. 4 mil is stronger, wears better and lasts longer, but removal of it years down the road is a huge job. They want their work to look great when it's done and you to be happy till it's not their problem anymore.

Something thinner will look the same, be ever so slightly less durable, just because of thickness, and be way easier to remove.

If you think you will be removing or repainting in 4-5 years, I would go with 3.2 mil indoor/outdoor and save some money. If you are doing it never to take it off, then the thicker 4 mil might be the ticket.

Oh, and, Corel Draw?!:eek1 Does anyone even use that for vector artwork anymore? Export that badboy as an .eps so that anyone in the world can open it.
  2. notmybikemodelname

notmybikemodelname KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer:
    Hey, Where'd I go:lol3 Now we're talking Photoshop!

Funny how those two rocks look so much alike. And I always thought nature never repeated iteself exactly!
  3. underwaterguru

underwaterguru Moto shop Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What is every one using for crash bars and what did you pay for them? Pictures will always help. There are a couple of used center stands for sale on e bay. chat soon

xxxmauxxx
  4. tmotten

tmotten Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer:
    Didn't like anything on the market, so I made my own. Air cargo handling boys managed to buckle one of them when we used them as tie down points, so I need to make one more. They handled what they were designed to do though.

[​IMG]
  5. kovrob

kovrob Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, it is downloadable from: http://f650.hu/kovrob/dakarstickers.zip
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p>Format: cdr v14 and eps</o:p>
    <o:p>The Dakar, Tuareg and F650GS(D) vector pictures</o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    <o:p>I hope, you can use it! ;)</o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
  6. atFault

atFault Logical Positivist

Oddometer:
  7. kovrob

kovrob Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rob, why don't use your body protectors? Or is it an unique moment?
  8. notmybikemodelname

Oddometer:
    I was wearing my jacket that day that has built in armor. Got too hot:knary and took it off and strapped to back of seat.

Also, haven't found any that I like and fit me well. And most importantly, it gets in the way of my expandable beer filled kidney belt.............um, I mean beer belly:freaky
  9. herrhelmet

herrhelmet Land n sea adv

Oddometer:
    Dude, you need to find one of the giant pink chest protectors for big gals.

Aren't you like a DD cup now?:rofl
  10. -N8-

-N8- Ride like you stole it!!

Oddometer:
    Wanted to share my weekend project results. I did the LED instrument panel light replacements. I decided to go with red for the dials, since red is the easiest on the eyes at night. I bought the LEDs through http://www.superbrightleds.com

Very happy, very cheap, and easy to install.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  11. herrhelmet

herrhelmet Land n sea adv

Oddometer:
    Very cool. Looks like a BMW car instrument panel...the way they should have done these IMO.
  12. kovrob

kovrob Adventurer

Oddometer:
    does this fit well? :D

7 weeks ago i broke my left arm (exatly the "olecranon") :cry because at this time wore my jacket without the inner thermo liner and the loose elbow protector turned out. One metal plate, eight screw, x months relaxation... :shog
  13. Stegerman

Stegerman MotoOCD sufferer

Oddometer:
    Very cool.. for us lazy guys mind sharing which bulb part #?

THanks
  14. -N8-

Oddometer:
    They are 74-x Wedge Base LED bulb. I used the 74-xHP Wedge Base LED bulb for the 4 bulbs that light up the tach and speedo. I wouldnt use the Highpower for the warning lights. The regular LEDs are plenty bright enough. Also, from what I read on F650.com do not replace the turn signal bulb because it will cause it to flash rapidly.

Good Luck
  15. -N8-

Oddometer:
  16. JDLuke

JDLuke Ravening for delight

Oddometer:
    I did all of the indicators on my F650GS a couple of years ago, also using the parts from superbrightleds. They all work fine, including the turn signal indicator... However, I did need to add a 'rectifier' to the circuit for the signals. Here's why:

LEDs differ from conventional bulbs in many ways, but electrically the biggest differences are that they have far lower current draw, and that they are diodes. Diodes only pass current in one direction, so if you hook one up in reverse it blocks the current.

The reason that replacing the turn signal bulbs causes trouble is that the flasher relies on (the heat generated by) the expected current flow through the bulb. With LEDs the current load will be so small that the flasher doesn't work properly. A flasher designed for this purpose, or added load resistors between each bulb and the power source will fix that.

On the F650GS, the current direction to the indicator is different depending on whether the left or right signals are activated, so the dash indicator will only work for one direction. The rectifier fixes this by converting what is essentially a very low speed AC current with DC current.

This is the thread where we discussed this stuff, which includes wiring diagrams and pictures.
  17. notmybikemodelname

Oddometer:
    Bummer, Don't worry, the dirt will still be there when you heal. Hopefully your right arm is your drinking arm:freaky
  18. notmybikemodelname

Oddometer:
    Is that what your lips are telling ya:D ?
  19. RagingBull

RagingBull Stout Black & Tan

Oddometer:
    Cant speak for BMW but does remind me of my XRS with all red tachs; very nicely done here -N8-!:thumbup

20. Gravel Seeker

Gravel Seeker Old, growing older.

Oddometer:
    Dreary old Norway, dreaming of adventures past
    You attacked me wrong ! :D

I have LED turnsignals and everything is just dandy. Don't think I replaced the relay either. Ofcourse my original dash is in a box somewhere and the TT dash indicators are wired directly/ home made piggybacked to each turn signal up front.:1drink