REV'IT! SAND Jacket and Pants Detailed Review and Road Test - Long Post

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Sideout, Feb 27, 2010.

1. DocWong

DocWong Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've had the Sand for about a year and a half with 20,000 miles of riding and many off road trips and to be honest, it has held up better than I expected. I just came back from doing one of my adventure rides, going thru several mud sections, being pretty much covered in mud.

When I got home, I removed the armor, put it into the washing machine and it came out looking almost new!!! I'm still surprised at how good it still looks as I was half expecting that it would look like crap by now.

Attached Files:

2. BAMF

BAMF B.A.M.F. -acronym

Oddometer:
    doc- is that picture when it was new or recent?
  3. DocWong

DocWong Long timer

Oddometer:
    It was about five months ago, washed after being covered in mud after bull dogging thru a very deep mud hole. At first I was pretty sad that my so clean suit was so badly in the mud, but was SO surprised at how well it turned out.

Then last month after my Adventure dual sport ride at Clearcreek, again very soiled in mud and again cleaned and almost looks new!
  4. Goosefeather

Goosefeather Captain Slow

Oddometer:
    I found that too, but found when removing them to wash the pants that there is some limited adjustment from the two velcro pads . . . . have a look and see if that helps
  5. Goosefeather

Goosefeather Captain Slow

Oddometer:
    Newish - Oct 2010

[​IMG]

After some short trips, and one 3,700 km trip to Birdsville and back - May 2011

[​IMG]

It was washed after this, but never went back to the original gay white, particularly the leg cuffs and the jacket waist pockets.
  6. BAMF

BAMF B.A.M.F. -acronym

Oddometer:
    thanks guys, I went ahead and got the white/silver like doc. I love it. I can see that the places I touch the most often will get dirty faster (duh) but I would like to ask how you guys wash the jacket?... is it the typical woolite detergent gentle soak method or do you spot clean?
  7. DocWong

DocWong Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just used my regular laundry detergent and it washed out like a charm! I so wish I had taken a photo of me after being covered in black mud! I was convinced that the suit would look like crap after that, but was so surprised when it washed out so well.
  8. grahamspc

grahamspc Smitty

Oddometer:
    Friend has a Cayenne Pro...used a NickWax 2 part product to clean and waterproof his suit..worked great looks new...will probably use on my Sand suit eventually....10000 miles all road & very little rain use..when you remove armor to wash mark the lefts and rights etc...makes easier to refit
  9. BTL

BTL No more snow!!

Oddometer:
    St Albert. Alberta Canada. IBA Member 50093
    Nicely done..I am doing research now on best bang for the buck Jacket and really feel the Revit Sand is the leader so far..let us know how well it stands up to real rainstorm. Nice photos, super clear.
  10. Bionicflite

Bionicflite Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I agree a great suit and quality through and through.
    Not quite the armour and protection as My Rally 3 but definitly better in the wet hands down
    I use my liner from the SAND suit and wear it under my Rally 3 in heavy rain/snow as I did my most recent ride from Vancouver BC to Mexico.
  11. DetoX68

DetoX68 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ik had the same issue as some of you with the Sand suit. The zippers on the arm sleaves (with the magnets) didn't hold and time after time they opened on the freeway. Also the rainlayer was leaking at the chest and the sticky stuff on the trousersleaves weren't sticky enough..... (Don't know how it's named in English).
    I returned to the Revit shop in Barneveld Holland and they gave me a brand new suit after using it for 4000 miles, without questioning.
    The new Sandsuit is great and does what I expect it to do. In hot days I stay cool and in rainy days I stay dry.

The only thing I have is that the trousersleaves are to short, even with the long version. So, even for skinny Europeen types, it doesn't fit as it should.

I also bought the Revit Dirt gloves for the summer. Those are awesome, you must try them. :D

[​IMG]
  12. outsidein

outsidein Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have the Rev'It Dakar pants (basically the previous version of the sand pants) - not sure if there were any actual changes between the two. Although Rev'It fit and finish is terrific the durability of their gear as been less than stellar. So far I have had much better results with Olympia durability wise. The Olympia also seems to have much better abrasion resistance as it uses heavier and more reinforced materials. My Rev''it pants have split at the seams from wear, not something that inspires confidence in their crash protection, especially on pavement.
  13. cosmic

cosmic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Guys i've got a question for you. Is there anybody with 6,4 225 figures, or close. I'am kind of regular "big" bloke. I've got one Sand combo on watched items, but i'am unsure what size should i pick.
    Help me out pls!

Btw, is there any real life picture of safari color?

Tnx a lot.

©
  14. DetoX68

DetoX68 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  15. cosmic

cosmic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  16. genka

genka Stand with Ukraine

Oddometer:
    Digging out the old thread...
    How does Sand jacket performs in a rain without the waterproof liner? Leaking immediately through the fabric and zippers or holding for some time?
  17. DocWong

DocWong Long timer

Oddometer:
    Never rode in the rain without the waterproof liner, but it looks like it'll be pretty leaky thru the zippers at least.

The waterproof liner works very very well. I really prefer the removable liners expecially for those summer dual sport rides where I need all the air flow I can get. It's GREAT for that!!!

Only minus for me is that I find the size of the armor lacking compared to my race leathers, but that's just me.
  18. genka

genka Stand with Ukraine

Oddometer:
    When in the rain I'd rather use a rain jacket- it is easier to put on, warmer and the protective jacket underneath remains dry.
  19. crazyjeeper

crazyjeeper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I haven't done full on rain without the liner, but I did end up going through about 70 miles of cold dense fog and I only had a small damp spot on one shoulder, otherwise I was dry. I believe rev'it uses some kind of anti-soaking coating so the material doesn't absorb water and it seemed to work pretty well. Now, I don't think it would do anywhere nearly as good in proper rain, but at least in heavy fog it was almost waterproof.
  20. outsidein

outsidein Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had a pair of Dakar pants (previous iteration of the Sand pants). Found the liner, which appears to be identical to the liner in the sand pants, started to loose it's waterproofing ability after about 2 years. Also the inside seams on the thighs gave out from chafe on the seat although a seamstress was able to repair this. Some seams on the insulated liner pants gave out as well. Seams on the inside of the lower leg gave out from chafe on the boot tops. Overall I have been less than impressed with Rev'It durability and abrasion resistance.