Any TE450 or TE510 owners here?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by SwitchThrottle, May 27, 2008.

1. AustinJake

AustinJake DR650 - Versys

Oddometer:
    Husky has been sold, so there's that to consider, the bike you are looking at is a BMW/chinese engine, and this thread focuses on the Italian-made engines.

CafeHusky has the most info about the 449/511 bikes.
    http://www.cafehusky.com/forums/4-stroke.69/
  2. AustinJake

Oddometer:
    On a dirt ride today, I hit a speed bump (a water pipe buried under some dirt) at a high rate of speed, did a pretty good "flyin' W" and for some strange reason, my 2.5 year old fuel pump died immediately after the hit, we hooked the battery directly to the old pump and it wouldn't make a sound. My buddy rode me 2up into town on his carbed Beta, loaned me his bike to go find a fuel pump, then rode me back out to the Husky and I was able to replace my CAcycleWorks pump with a car pump, and we finished the ride. I am really puzzled as to why a hard suspension hit would travel all the way to the fuel pump and crater it.

[​IMG]
  3. BrockEvan

BrockEvan Brock Warwick Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well it's amazing you were able to source one in town. Make and model number please.
  4. BrockEvan

Oddometer:
    Well it's amazing you were able to source one in town. Make and model number please. . - edit, just saw the picture
  5. Xcuvator

Xcuvator Justa Venturer

Oddometer:
    That is very cool that you could dig a pump out of an auto parts store and get going again.
    I follow your posts on CH and know you are an expert as far as keeping the EFI running. When I read this post of yours I realize that sticking to my carbed 610 and 450 wasn't a terribly bad idea since most of my riding is solo on the DS bikes.
  6. AustinJake

Oddometer:
    The auto shop that I got it from was the only auto shop in a town of about 2000 people, about 6 miles from where the bike broke down. I asked for a pump for a 2006 Civic, he said he didn't have one, but we could go in the back and unbox a few....perfect!!

Remember, that's a 38mm pump, same as the size for Ducatis, and a whole lotta cars. The stock Husky pump size is 30mm, so I was ready for a 38mm pump since I got rid of the 30mm holster 2.5 years ago. If you are running a 30mm pump and you have the white plastic holster, and NO threaded rod, it would be a tough nut to get a 38mm pump body to mount.
  7. AustinJake

Oddometer:
    I wanted to make sure my field test was accurate, so I tested it again with my little pigtail wires, and it's dead alright, it won't make a sound of any kind. The E8213 pump was an almost direct match to the CAcycleworks Ducati pump, the wire spades were a little too skinny but we dealt with that.

[​IMG]
  8. mattomoto

mattomoto 2 wheels rule

Oddometer:
    Good work Jake. Maybe cut that old one open and see what gives? Pretty weird though. I had a slow speed spill last summer that killed mine, but not the pump it's self. Knocked one of the hoses off the top of the pump and would not feed the engine. Could hear the pump prime, but no running bike. Took it out and viola, saw the hose disconnected. Fired right up after the fix.
  9. Dago52

Dago52 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Im considering purchasing a 2010 TE 450 for 4500 from a friend. It has 13 hours and 200 miles so its practically brand new. I will be using the bike for 80% dirt and 20% street. I just want to confirm that this is a decent price and if there are any known problems with this model.

thanks
  10. Bobby Ginger

Bobby Ginger Cat Herder

Oddometer:
    Decent price. I would haggle, but I am a cheep ass. Mine(08) had farkles low miles and I paid less. It is just my opinion but mileage means a lot more than year.
  11. tooth sleuth

tooth sleuth Ozarks Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a good price to me if it really is as cherry as it sounds. I've been using mine probably about the same way (80/20) for 3 yrs now (bought it new) and I have had zero problems w/ it. It's a great bike...wish they still made 'em. When treated well, they're pretty solid, and any problems you do run into, there's a wealth of knowledge on the forums here and in Cafe husky, so you'll be in good company. So what are ya waitin' fer? Go git it an git to ridin. And welcome to the husky brotherhood.:D
  12. drrags

drrags Dorkus Malorkus

Oddometer:
    Decent price. do it! :deal
    The last of the great ones.
  13. AustinJake

Oddometer:
    The fuel pump might be varnished somewhat on the inside, with that little use, the bike when hot will stall out and you can tell that its the pump because it will fail to prime when key is turned on when hot or the priming sound will be very labored sounding.
  14. Tachedoutoffroad

Tachedoutoffroad Mr. Parrish

Oddometer:
  15. AustinJake

Oddometer:
    15,000 mile report
    14,000 mile report was on May 9, 2013

Rode today, and discovered a little quirk of this bike: we parked for about 15 mins to drink water and take pics, and as usual, I tend to leave the key ON since my headlight is switched and I usually don't run with the headlight on, and when I started back up, I was backfiring, wouldn't idle, all the same old symptoms I've experienced several times I've had (or thought I had) problems. This time, as I rolled along I pulled in the clutch and switched off the key, then switched it back on, resetting the system, started it up and it ran like a champ the rest of the day. I am gonna make sure I switch off the key every time I stop for a break from now on, something is weird with my CPU.

Bike is running great, did the 15th oil change before the ride, strained the oil and also cut open the filter, didn't see anything alarming, for this bike. Running half Mobil1 15w50 and half Mobil1 0w40. Temp sensor and fan are working reliably, fork has not sprung a leak again, and new Toyota fuel pump is working great. The zip-tied front fender held together fine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. AKASY

AKASY Noob

Oddometer:
  17. Bobby Ginger

Bobby Ginger Cat Herder

Oddometer:
    I am doing a organized ride in a national forest that requires a spark arrestor. I have the original exhaust with an arrestor, but currently I have the arrow installed that is part of the power up kit(?). Anyways I was wondering if this constitutes an arrestor. Please see the picture below.

[​IMG]

It looks like a screen that is recessed about 3 inches.
  18. BrockEvan

Oddometer:
    the arrestor in the factory stock exhaust should have a screen with a circlip.

The same device will fit in the power up arrow.

it's plainly obvious at the very end of the stock exhaust. If you can't see it it must have been removed.
  19. Bobby Ginger

Bobby Ginger Cat Herder

Oddometer:

Yes I have the arrestor and it is removed from the factory exhaust, but it did not seem to fit in my arrow. Headed out to the garage, I will report back.
  20. BrockEvan

Oddometer:
    :ddog:dunno