800GS engine buzz

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Garball, Feb 19, 2015.

1. Garball

Garball Ex Stromrider

Oddometer:
    Hi folks,

Test drove an 800 GS last weekend with the thought I'd be buying one. I currently ride a Suzuki vStrom 650. I loved the BMW the second I got on it and drove away. Everything was perfect until I hit the highway. At just about 115Km/h this engine buzz grabbed my by the ass and wouldn't let go! At lower speeds (below 105) it was fine. Unfortunately the buzz was so intense it was a show stopper for me and I went to the Triumph dealer and put a deposit on a new 800 xRx due to arrive in a couple weeks.

Anyway, how do you BMW guys put up with that crap! I've read a lot about the engine buzz but thought I'd go and see for my self, hoping it wasn't that bad.

Gary,
  2. NCD

NCD Dirty Hairy Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm always blown away by posts like this.

You know....posts like...

"This bike vibrates..."

"This bike has engine heat..."

"This bike is windy...."

I'm pretty sure that's why they make cars.
  3. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh dear.
  4. Snks

Snks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The only problems I see are putting up with owning a Triumpht. :deal :eek1 :lol3
  5. Harpoonalt

Harpoonalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Our local BMW/ Triumph dealer is not carrying Triumph this year. Something about dealing with Triumph corporate. :huh
  6. wipe-out

wipe-out Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This
  7. AK650

AK650 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    So, you didn't like the F800 on a test ride, and yet put money down, on a totally new model, that you haven't even threw a leg over?

Jeff
  8. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I usually get on the Internet and whine about it.:cry

Triumph owners, just like DL owners, seem to like their bikes. Hope you enjoy yours.

What I like about the F800gs is, it makes its HP and torque at relative low rpm. For a little over $200 I richened the fuel mixture, which enhanced torque enough to gear it up and I don't have vibration issues at any sane speed. At 128km/h I am running 4,700 rpm while a Triumph is turning 6,000. Different strokes for different folks.

While you are rowing your gears to enjoy all that smoothness, I just twist the throttle, because my bike will accelerate from very low speeds in just about any gear.

Report back how your Triumph works off road. That is the reason I like the BMW. It has frame geometry similar to a dual sport.
  9. GPHusky250

GPHusky250 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Doesn't really matter much now, since you've purchased a Triumph..right?

Me, I didn't purchase the F8 to use it as a street bike...I have an RT for that. It's mostly an offroad bike I use at speeds 65mph or less. While I've never felt "buzz" via the seat...I have felt it in the handlebars. Grip puppies mitigate most of that "buzz". One person I know put on a set of "Flex Bars" and commented that it eliminated all the "buzz", probably because the handlebars are isolated somewhat by elastic polymers.

Your new Triumph will vibrate much less. Best of luck to you.
  10. bbenn75820

bbenn75820 Long timer

Oddometer:
    A. There is no perfect bike. buy what works for you.
    B. There are some parts of the rpm range that buzz, if it bothers you then change rpm or gears.
    C. The Triumph is a great bike if you are more street.
    D. The BMW is a great bike if you are more off the paved road.

You didn't buy a better bike, you bought a different bike- better for your needs.
    E. In Oregon 50 percent of the dealers are dropping Triumph dealership- you may have chosen a good bike but with poor support?
  11. scarygary

scarygary Drawing blanks

Oddometer:
    I noticed the buzz at first, now I don't at all.. same with the "snatchy" throttle. You have to get used to a different motor design from coming off a super smooth V-Twin. With many bikes, smoothness is associated with blandness, think VFR, V-Strom :evil, ST1100. A bike can be too perfect and ultimately forgettable. That being said the Triumph Tiger is a great bike, design and aesthetically wise, just not my cup of tea.

Next time you ride a F800 spend some time doing miles on a thumper first, then the GS will be smooth as butter.
  12. Mollygrubber

Mollygrubber Eschew obfuscation

Oddometer:
    The dealership I get major services at uses a G650GS as their loaner. I'm SO glad to get back on my 800 twin after riding that thing. Vibes? The 800's just fine IMO.
  13. Garball

Garball Ex Stromrider

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, take it easy here. I'm just expressing my opinion of my first test ride on the F800GS!!

So I did test drive the triumph, who wouldn't before buying one (i've driven pretty much every bike out there). Smooth as butter and I liked everything about it but did like the BMW better minus the vibration at highway speed. Only wondering how you all deal with it.

Please keep off the cuff remarks out of this post, it's really about the engine buzz at a specific RPM.

Cheers
  14. Harpoonalt

Harpoonalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's all relative. My neighbor has a Toyota pickup. I rode in it and his dashboard was buzzing. It was driving me nuts and he was n't even aware of it until I pointed it out. I stuck a pen between the dash and windshield and the buzzing stopped. It's 2 years later and that pen is still there. Everyone has different sensitivities to sound and vibration. Enjoy your new bike!:freaky
  15. bbenn75820

bbenn75820 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just expressing opinions back at ya. Hope you made the right choice for your needs. I test drove the Triumph and thought the power delivery was crap, How do you put up with that?

Cheers
  16. jttele

jttele Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    You either got a test drive on an especially buzzy one or you're really sensitive to that for some reason (or both). I do know what you're talking about though, at about 70mph, mine has a very slight vibration that comes on from time to time, but I rarely notice it at all unless I'm thinking about it. All around I love the bike and have to think hard to find any shortcomings for what it's intended for.
  17. NCD

NCD Dirty Hairy Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is the crux statement that started the trouble. Peg us as "you BMW guys" and then refer to a characteristic of the model you rode/we ride as being "crap" and the fun begins.
  18. Excite-Bike

Excite-Bike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  19. bbenn75820

bbenn75820 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dang it, I fell for it.
  20. 1world1life

1world1life Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When you see the labour time involved in servicing that triumph you'll understandÂ…:lol3

That's what swung it for me!

Craig