Oil Consumption

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Tony Graf, Apr 30, 2004.

1. Tony Graf

Tony Graf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My bike has 45,000 miles on it and it still burns oil, (@ 1 quart every two thousands miles). The bike had it's heads de-carbonized, new rings and exhaust valves replaced by dealer at 30K. (pinging) need I say more? Is there anyway I might be able to make those rings seat now? I am desperate, I love this bike!
  2. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd characterize this oil consumption as slightly higher than average. Most do better, but a lot do worse.

I don't see what you're worrying about. Big air-cooled twins sometimes burn a little oil. So you add a little now and then. No big deal.

- Mark
  3. Guzz

Guzz Gutless wonder

Oddometer:
    Simple suggestion: Park on the center stand as much as possible. Give it shot, you don't have much to lose.
  4. eap

eap El Adventurero Solitario Supporter

Oddometer:
    At 27K, I here ya - I always have a quart in the left saddle bag and check often! Prolly close to a quart between changes at 3K... :1drink
  5. kiwiAdventure

kiwiAdventure Long timer

Oddometer:
    My 02 1150 adventure uses 500ml's at around 5,000k's, The manual also says the bike will use some oil. :nod
  6. Tony Graf

Oddometer:
    I don't mind the that the bike uses oil, it was my hope that if I could stop the oil consumption-I could stop the carbon build up. I have followed this site for years and this is my first time posting. This site has been the most useful forum of information I have ever seen. Thanks.
  7. ShaftEd

ShaftEd Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Tony, I think we need to get a little history here. What oil are you running now? What oil did you run before going synthetic, or are you still on petroleum non synthetic? If you did go synth, at what mileage was that.

The other question, is your oil consumption the same in all kinds of riding. Say commuting, touring, and even some high rev sportriding. My 1150 uses no oil commuting and touring, but spin it up running with some sportbikes and yeah, she's gonna burn some.

As for breaking in a 45k motor, that seems like a lost cause. It might be worth a try to put some regular BMW 20-50 non synth in and take it out and thash it for a few thousand miles and see if you get any more ring seating for a little less oil loss.
  8. Curmudgeon

Curmudgeon Enjoying the ride

Oddometer:
    Good: What's a big old twin good for if you can't use it as an anchor? Nothing easier or more predictable than using the right wrist to slow the tuna boat down. Unfortunately, nobody told me (enough times) that BMW don't cotton to engine braking.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

Bad: All Oilhead (and maybe all) GS's burn/use oil while decelerating with the engine, accept the 1200... BMW says they've fixed it. So, if you train yourself to not use the engine to slow the bike and only use the brakes your shaft and trany will last much longer, your braking skills will improve and the bike will use a trifling amount of oil. I've be working on it for about a year and (unfortunately at my current skill level) when I ride the bike to have fun (read ham handed pit squid) the GS burns oil. But, strangely enough, you can accelerate as hard as you want and the bike only sips tiny amounts of oil, but dare you engine brake and it'll suck the oil like its' rider suck a cold one on a hot summer day.

By far the worst character flaw of a what can only be called a wonderful bike.

Patrick<o:p></o:p>
    Live Long and Ride
  9. kmann51

kmann51 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    1150/1100GS's-Why do they use so much oil? Nobody knows! I can take a 1000 mile trip and use no oil. Then I do a series of 150 mile mountain sprints and need to add 1/3 of a quart before each ride. I quit thinking about it and just add before I go. Also, I always park it on the center stand.
  10. Tony Graf

Oddometer:
    I didn't go synthetic until 18k, and after the rings were replaced, I waited till 42k (12k after the decarbonization and rings). I am going to try your suggestion ShaftEd. I use RXP gas additive and that almost eliminates the pinging, which is my real concern anyways. Me and my buddy just did the Natchez Trace last Wednesday, cruised at about 4k rpm (I have a 3.2 rearend) oil use seemed about the same. On the way home I raised hell on it to see if there was much difference but consumption didn't vary. By the way I do all my maintenance now that warrantee is over, I pretty much do my tune-ups by the "Guzzler tune-ups series".
  11. kiwiAdventure

kiwiAdventure Long timer

Oddometer:
  12. BigDave

BigDave Adventure Drummer

Oddometer:
    I am using some oil, but not bad. I engine brake like a mofo & always will. Its just a part of riding....
  13. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    Really? If you don;t mind my asking, where did you see this? I would be very interested in seeing what they said.
  14. adventureX

adventureX Können Sie Mädchen hängen

Oddometer:
    I add oil at 3000 miles and if not on a trip I just change it. Everyone I know that breaks in BMW’s real hard hasn’t had engine issues. I know this sounds nuts, but a BMW tech I know calls it the bang concept.

Meaning, you should run the engine as hard as you can for a 1000 miles before doing the 600 service. If it went bang it’s free and if it doesn’t it’s a good one.

Last three bikes, no bangs, no abnormal oil usage and strong running bikes.

Remember, aircraft engines run 80% all day long right from the start. :nod
  15. Curmudgeon

Curmudgeon Enjoying the ride

Oddometer:
    I know I read it on a link from Advrider, but that's as close as I can narrow it down. It was BMW euro press promo stuff, so the kind of information you take with a grain of salt. There was a picture of the engine with the new shaft counter balancer (it was a tiny little thing) and some hype about all the great new technology on the 1200.

Wish my memory weren't failing.

Patrick
    Live Long and Remember
  16. Global Rider

Global Rider Alps Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Canada & the Alps - N 46° 31.714' E 010° 27.212'
    It is all part of the design. Now you know why BMWs last soooo long, they constantly get fresh oil. :rofl
  17. mike p1

mike p1 WELL LIT ADVENTURER

Oddometer:
    I could'nt AGREE more and every beemer tech I talk to says the same thing
    DO NOT BABY IT or it will use oil 4 ever
  18. Waco

Waco Renegade Sickle Hound

Oddometer:
    Mine seems to use less oil since I started using the centerstand daily. I tried keeping a log of oil consumption, but I was too lazy to follow through. It always uses the most oil on dual sport rides with lots of slow gravel roads.
  19. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    Hmmmm, should I be concerned if mine DOESN'T use oil?
  20. Manuel Garcia O'Kely

Manuel Garcia O'Kely Back at last

Oddometer:
    Interesting theory - in fact, my techinque is still to mostly observe the rpm limits for continuous operation but use sporting throttle to get there - this properly loads the rings.

WRT to aircraft piston engines - crap, with the tolerances in those engines you can deal playing cards under the rings all day long and they use lots and lots of oil - they have an 8-12 quart sump because they burn so much....how else do you explain needed 360 cubic inches to develop 180 HP at sea level? And they don't last for shite either - I don't think my pop got more than 800 hours of of the TSIO-540 on his Malibu....and those engines cost about the same as a BMW Auto....and I flew with him - he flew that thing by the book and never more than 75% cruise.