690 Rally Replica questions...

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by F650Dakar_Norway, Jan 17, 2010.

1. F650Dakar_Norway

F650Dakar_Norway What off-season? Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Can this bike be adapted for average enthusiast consumer usage?

That is; can it be carb-jetted and run adequately stable and used as a street-legal vehicle by a gravel/dirt-enthusiast desiring its raw rally-bike functionality?

Or would short & expensive service intervals and expensive special factory consumable parts be prohibitive etc?
    I have a conception of this bike being light, rideable & easy to strip down for self service and rugged enough for fire-roads and woodland dirtroad work. :wink:
  2. WARRIORPRINCEJJ

WARRIORPRINCEJJ Forsaken

Oddometer:
    You will probably get moved to "Thumpers"...

The bike you are inquiring about is street-legal...standard LC4 fair...long maintenance intervals and all.

However, you're looking at about $35,000 to $38,000 U.S.D. That's a bit much for your average gravel road traveler, in my very humble opinion.
  3. DigiMan

DigiMan Swedish SOE Rider

Oddometer:
    Yeah!
    If it wasn't for the hefty pricetag I would own one for sure!
    The day i can get my hands on a 690 Adventure I will be the first in line to buy one.
    This option is also available but also way too expensive....
    [​IMG]
  4. WARRIORPRINCEJJ

WARRIORPRINCEJJ Forsaken

Oddometer:
    Start training for that moment right now...

First, try to be the first in line for the release of the next "Call of Duty" game. Once you have mastered that, try being the first in line for tickets to the next "Hannah Montana" musical. After that, you can move-on to the advanced stuff (like first to acquire tickets to a Jonas Brothers' concert). All these small steps might prepare you to deal with the waiting lists that will ensue when (IF) KTM does decide to release the "690 Adventure".:lol3 :rofl :D

Gentlemen,

I searched for this for quite awhile. I almost gave-up. However, here it is. Enjoy...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=512213
  5. F650Dakar_Norway

Oddometer:
    I'm aware of the price tag etc. Just wanted to see if anybody had pointers about service intervals, parts availability etc. I've seen a few ads with some of these and wondered if anybody had practical user experience with a Rally Replica - in case one should land in my hands. I'd be more than happy to own and ride one extensively.

I do 40 000km's a year on bikes - including 10 000km during the winter - but a beast like these would be a dream come true in many respects. Most of all I'd like the quick-detachable fairings and relatively robust front assembly with a far more solid and crashworthy function than my 800GS - which has proved to have a soft ( and expensive ) soft jaw when something hits the front lights at specific angles. If I see correctly the 690 Rally Replica has projector lights and a more solid, metal-based instrument/light assembly frame being more stress- and crash-tolerant once (not when) a crash happens.
  6. WARRIORPRINCEJJ

WARRIORPRINCEJJ Forsaken

Oddometer:
    With any luck, "LukasM" will see this thread. He is a very knowledgeable guy (with all bikes), and has a relative who actually owns one of these (which has given him some quality "hands-on" time with this machine/690RR).

As I'm sure you already know, that frame is pretty standard on most "true" rally bikes. I don't think that the frame has as much to do with crashing as it does with getting the weight off the bars (thereby preventing some crashes:D ).

Good Luck. I hope that you get one, and post pics. when you do.:thumb
  7. F650Dakar_Norway

Oddometer:
    May take a couple of years yet - or at least after 2012 - when all dakar bikes are 450cc - thus opening up for more 690RR in private hands etc., but thanks for the heads up. At some point in life one wants the ultimate functional tool for a specific riding style - and the rally-bike concept has always appealed to my functional-minded mindset.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=290201
    [​IMG]

And of course having been through a 3-day riding course with Pal Anders Ullevalseter back in 2006 has planted some seeds here and there, :1drink
  8. WARRIORPRINCEJJ

WARRIORPRINCEJJ Forsaken

Oddometer:
    He's one mean, green Norwegian!...No. 2 in the Moto. class. :ricky

Congrats. to Pal:clap
  9. DigiMan

DigiMan Swedish SOE Rider

Oddometer:
    KTM team west has some tools to convert a 690 Endoro a bit.
    Start with a 690 Enduro R.
    Then bake with this recepie ingredients is 1300 Euro exkl Bike.
    http://www.ktmteamwest.com/website/...t&view=category&layout=blog&id=153&Itemid=445

PS
    KTM has registred this site so.

Domain Name: KTM700ADVENTURE.COM

Administrative Contact:
    KTM Sportmotorcycle AG
    Volker Roland
    Stallhofnerstrasse 3
    Mattighofen, A-5230
    AT
    +43 (0)7742 6000193
    +43 (0)7742 60005193 [fax]
    volker.roland@ktm.at

Technical Contact, Zone Contact:
    T-Systems Austria GesmbH
    T-Systems DNS-Admin
    Rennweg 97-99
    Wien, A-1030
    AT
    +43 (0) 57057 4390
    +43 (0) 57057 954390 [fax]
    dns-admin@t-systems.at</pre>
  10. David P.

David P. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I haven't owned a 690, but I have owned a 660 Rally 2006. And Rally Replicas are really nice pieces of kits. They are really exclusive and very well engineered bikes that will last a lifetime. But some bits are extremely expensive so if you strike some bad luck you will have to take out a mortgage on your house whilst crying over the KTM invoice. But like I said, the bits are engineered to last, thus the hefty price tags. It's sort of a shame to use it as a daily commute but on the other hand, the smile on your face will be big when arriving for work.

Only you can decide whether or not the bike is worth it. It is a RACEbike and not a tourer and will of course require a lot more looking after than a standard 690.

Hope it helped.

(I'd never use one as a commuter! :deal )
  11. stickysidedown

stickysidedown Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Had a conversation with my friendly dealer here in the UK about a 690 adv in the pipeline.

They had asked KTM about it seeing the demand, and it was stated the project was in the pipeline but they were having difficulty making it cost effective.

Personally I say dont bother, charge the same or more than the 990 but keep some of the nice trick bits and we would be happy punters.

My guess is there will be a price hike and some trick bits on an 1190 adv for the touring market before a 690 adv slots into the 990's place for the off road enthusiast
  12. F650Dakar_Norway

Oddometer:
    My only real concern is actually if the 690RR carb need constant rejetting - depending on temp, humidity and altitude etc. The expensive parts sound familiar and the fabrication qualities sound nice for longevity. Which parts are the expensive ones, BTW? :1drink

Digiman: Thanks for the tips. Building an aftermarket-based 690 Enduro rally bike sounds like an excellent and economically sound alternative. That way carburetor rejetting etc. should be factored away from the project.

But heck, I simply like the raw and clean design concept of the 690RR. The big grin on any owner's face can only be stopped by the adjacent ears...:evil
    I mean, the darn thing is actually raced in the dunes by our enduro heroes and the ownership pride should be unmeasurable and infinite. :1drink
  13. David P.

David P. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine which had the same carb (FCR41) DID require costant rejetting, felt like every 5 degrees would make a diff, but hard to tell if the new one does the same!

I'd buy 690R and a kit from Alberto Dottori with his new lookalike 690RR faring and then proceed to build my own 690 Rally, rally parts are popping up like weed in your lawn! Same loox and a lot cheaper and easier ownage... :wink:
  14. F650Dakar_Norway

Oddometer:
    Sounds OK. This is after all a competition rally tool.
    I still await comments on service and carb maintenance demands from an owner or regular user of the 690 Rally Replica.

Based on this video I suspect the carb needs careful tuning:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dv2y06AEiSo&feature=player_embedded
  15. F650Dakar_Norway

Oddometer:
    A few questions of practical nature:

- How does this bike behave in heavy rain with that uncovered foam air filter unit merely covered by the seat? I notice the 690 Enduro has a snorkeled all-covering air-filter housing in comparison. Cummo, Ludo, anyone else having done some rain experiences?

- Does it have a keyed ignition lock? ( Insurance based concern )

- No rev counter visible - but I reckon it's got a factory setup rev limiter for engine protection.

- Alternator output wattage? I wanna install KTM heated grips and an external 12v power outlet for emergency tyre inflation etc.
    ( I'll bring a basic emergency package with small portable air compressor, tyre levers and spare tubes - for those long mountain rides in deserted areas )

Later this week I'll test ride one (or two).
    Making it street-legal raises some minor practical issues like the ones mentioned. Neither are showstoppers, btw :D
  16. F650Dakar_Norway

Oddometer:
    Ullevalseter's 2008 was sold to another lucky dude and I went for this baby instead. It's merely run (edit:) 200km and almost in pristine condition. Guess most of my questions will be answered in due order. :evil

[​IMG]

Plans are to swap the expensive CF fairing, fender and bash plate for cheaper components in glasfibre and aluminium. And then ride that thing as often as opportunity allows. Still grinning for being this lucky :D
    outbacktm and LostInTransit like this.
  17. komatias

komatias Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You bastard
    LostInTransit likes this.
  18. bend27

bend27 by hook or by crook

Oddometer:
    Congrats! How much?
  19. F650Dakar_Norway

Oddometer:
    160 k NOK. About the same price as my 2010 F800GS bought in Oct 09.
    It appears to be a 2007 RR registered in 2008 by the looks.
  20. bend27

bend27 by hook or by crook

Oddometer:
    That's a great price, You are one lucky bastardos