Urgent Help Needed, We Are In Whistler With An Ejected Oil Seal And Empty Engine

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Two Moto Kiwis, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Two Moto Kiwis

Two Moto Kiwis Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer:
    Good morning gents, Ellens output shaft seal completely ejected itself out of the engine along with all the oil, not sure of engine damage or not, can't get a replacement seal so going put the original back in, bought oil as well.

Can a local who knows the best Suzuki motorcycle shop in Vancouver please post contact details and street address as we will probably make a B line straight there assuming the bike still lives, short of that we will have to contact them anyway to execute a warrantee claim, not sure how we are going to do that.

We have Wifi in Whistler, I am on main street and going to try and sort it.
  2. GISdood

GISdood Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is probably going to be your closest dealer, hopefully someone a little more local will be able to offer some input on which dealer has the best shop/service.

NORTH SHORE SUZUKI
    1395 MAIN STREET
    NORTH VANCOUVER, BC V7J
    604-986-1581

Good luck, you two! (from a fellow DR owner)
  3. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    Thanks mate, logged it into Mrs.Garmin

Have put teh seal back in but it suspiciously pushed straight back it w a y too easy, started it up we have some rattles not there prior so I suspect it ran dry enough to do something, thankfully we were not on the open road at full speed or things may be different.

Going to attempt to get to Vancouver failing that it will need a deck truck.
  4. looper68

looper68 n00b

Oddometer:
    There are a couple bike shops in Squamish (in Behind the Tim Hortons / Wendy's) that may be able to help out.

J and R Motorsports Ltd Tel: (604) 892-1522 Unit 7 - 38918 Progress Way Squamish

No LImits Motorsports Tel: (604) 815-4444 Unit 4 - 38921 Progress Way Squamish

Good luck.

5. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys, we made it to Vancouver gingerly does it, North Shore Suzuki were very disinterested in helping us to get sorted ... thanks guys :kboom , we rate you right up there with Alaska Cycle Center for bad service.

We went to Modern Motorcycles and they explained the paper heavy side from Canada and let us use their phone to call Bellingham Suzuki shop to get it sorted, we were heading that way towards the border so that seemed the easiest option.

We stayed in Langley overnight and left for Bellingham at about 8.15 am.

We stopped at some traffic light and Ellens yells out again, oil was pouring out.

As it turned out it blew the seal out again right when we left, i.e. not even 10 meters off the start line so it had been pouring oil out for about 3km.

We ended up trailering the bike to the dealership behind David car, life saver.

At this point in time they have the bike, the engine has emptied twice now, both times caught hopefully in time but at this point we are waiting to hear from Suzuki to see if it has been damaged or not :eek1

Bike is about 12 weeks old with 8000 miles on the clock so definitely not a good start :cry

One of these day things will even out, hopefully between my bike not running right and this with Ellens it will be done and dusted for problems.
  6. toddiscdn

toddiscdn Take off, EH!

Oddometer:
    Im sure you have heard this , but when you fill the oil, no more than 2 Litres, not the 2300 it says on the side. It seems at times that people who have lost the primary seal have had more than the required oil in it. YMMV.

Good luck to you, Todd
  7. Yukoner2

Yukoner2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hope you get things sorted out. Was nice to meet you both in Dawson at D2D. Possible cause, crankcase not venting properly, build up in pressure and weakest point will let pressure out. Jon
  8. knight

knight Long timer

Oddometer:
    A pinched crankcase breather tube can cause that seal to blow out
  9. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys, yeah checked oil level, breather pipes, blow by etc all spot on.

Took the bike to Bellingham yesterday, they said the seal looked faulty, they also checked the breathers, vents etc and all came up ok.

So new seal, new oil and they lifted the top off the motor for a cam inspection, luckily on both occasions the engine was shut off in time so seems to be no damage which is superb.

They did the job yesterday with no fuss and they steam cleaned the bike down as well as it was covered in oil.

Thus far it is ok, we will spend today enjoying Vancouver then head over to Vancouver Island for a few days.

Thanks to all for your input, looks like we are on the road again!!! :clap
  10. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    Give me a heads up if you make it farther North on the Island, may be able to join U for bit of riding or even a coffee as work is slow at the moment...
  11. squonker

squonker Stupid is the new norm

Oddometer:
    Sheesh, you can have some of mine!!
  12. Cowgirl

Cowgirl I'll ride anything.

Oddometer:
    Drop me a line, I've got some time available and I'd love to meet you! PM sent.
  13. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    Hi guys, Ellens bike has packed a sad, the seal blew out again (for the third time) just up the road from Langley and we did not know until Stanley Park and an empty sump.

Not sure of engine damage but they are going to have to look harder into the motor as something is really astray :cry

The lucky side is we are in a beautiful place with access to Suzuki shop with good attitude so hopefully we can get sorted asap.

We were planning to come over to Vancouver Island tomorrow and do a ring circuit however this now looking difficult as we do not have a plan B

If we come over we can only bring one bike (mine) thus we won't have our set up for camping etc, is there anyway way we can couch surf around Advers?

We can only carry sleeping bag and a clothes bag each so would need lodgings if possible to make it happen.

Happy to trade some work, help, maintenance, cooking etc

Many thanks Andi & Ellen
  14. H96669

H96669 A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer:
    How are you guys doing there??? I was going to offer my van, parked in Victoria doing nothing and has sleeping bags in it and room to sleep in maybe even right there in the legal parking downtown.But....darn looked and all my keys are here, that includes the usually hidden spare. Bugger....!!!

Anyway, you SVI people, take these guys at their word for work or cooking, altough I haven't seen the results, most probably well beyond my expectations.:clap
  15. Mike Ryder

Mike Ryder Kriegerkuh Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had the pleasure of their company for a couple of nights. Ellen can make great sushi. Andy will drink beer with anybody
    Excepting Ellen's slow speed control issues on my nasty driveway they are very capable travelers.
    Strangely they have been accomidated by Dave in Kitsalano whom I bought my GS from ten years ago. No previous communication, odd.

Hope they fair well and the seal issue can be fixed right this time.
  16. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    Try gluing the seal in. I had a rock tear open the output shaft seal on my XR650R in baja quite badly. Glued the bits of rubber together and it didn't leak a drop. Rode about a thousand miles that way 'till a new seal could be sourced.

Provided that crank case pressure isn't insane, I'd guess they machined the output shaft seal seating surface just a scosh too big.

Also make sure your chain isn't way too tight and that the case isn't cracked around the output shaft.
  17. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    Ok this just in from David

Got a call from Luke today, (Sat 28th) Chiwi is getting parts air freighted in on Monday and should be ready Tuesday afternoon, but depends on when the shipment arrives as to how early.

Suzuki have an oversize seal for the counter shaft and some sort of retainer and they have acknowledged the machining is oversized compared to the seal.

They have checked the engine and no issues with the motor, so that is good news.

So this is great news now and it means I can sleep :D

I suspected oversized machining as it really could not be anything else other than an undersize seal!!

Will enjoy Vancouver Island now knowing we are going forward.

Huge thanks to David for helping us get sorted. :clap
  18. Shibby!

Shibby! Long timer

Oddometer:
    Let me know if you need more help around Vancouver area. I know some good friends who live there (one is a mechanic) and both have lots of experience riding dirt and racing sport bikes. I'm sure either would be willing to help.
  19. Kiwi Canuck

Kiwi Canuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mike, Andi & Ellen stayed with me but I sold up in the City and moved to the country to South Langley.
    They were here for 3 days in Langley, and we where treated to Ellen's shushi making which was awesome.
    We took Chiwi to Mt Baker Motorsports in Bellingham, the owner is Steve Baker (former world champ MC Racer) any way good service and excellent shop. Hopefully the new fix will be good.

My apoligies Mike I did mean to call you earlier than now but I'd lost your number and it was such a coincidence that Andi & Ellen had stayed with you. They mentioned Peachland and a guy with an 1150GS, well I sold that bike to you in 2006, what's the chances of that???.

Cheers, David
  20. Kiwi Canuck

Kiwi Canuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bike Pilot, The shop did glue the first seal in with Suzuki Glue (didn't know there was such a thing) anyway it was good for about 100 KM that day and evening, parked it overnight and when the bike was cold didn't go 10 meters and the seal popped out, I now have 2 oil lines leaving my street.:eek1

At least they will be able to find their way back.