Harbor frieght air tools

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rick danger, Nov 6, 2009.

1. rick danger

rick danger The further adventures of Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm looking for feedback from anyone that has used them. I;m about to try the angle die grinder, but I dont want to waste money if its gonna stall as soon as i put pressure on it. Even if its only $20. Thats $20 I could put towards an IR or something I know is gonna be good. Thanks http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=93157
  2. hugemoth

hugemoth Bad Motorscooter

Oddometer:
    I have one of their 3" air grinders. It works fine but requires a lot of air. Be sure you have a LARGE compressor to run it.

My preference for most jobs is the HF 4.5" electric angle grinder. One of the most used tools in my shop.

Q
  3. uraberg

uraberg whosaberg?

Oddometer:
    I have a local store, and I pickup some stuff there every now and then for a specific job, with the idea that if it works for this one time, it's worth it.

Some of the air tools are definitely not. While I have not used this particular grinder, I've had very bad luck with this one: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=47077

It produces very little torque, and mine got stuck after a few minutes. (yes, I lube...)

Then again, I'm very happy with their 3/8 ratchet...
  4. showkey

showkey Long timer

Oddometer:
    Violates one of my HF rules on weather its OK to purchase: It has more than one part.:D
  5. cagiva549

cagiva549 Gone timer

Oddometer:
    I have used harbor freight air drills air rivet tools and grinders and have recently started buying electric tools for daily use I would recomend better stuff . for ocasional use its fine . Some of the drills and grinders are over twenty years old . they havent been used much the last few years , I dont want to work that hard anymore . My electric 4 inch grinder gets a lots of use , its over two years old now and cost 20 bucks . the old grinder it replaced was ten years old and cost a hundred so I thing I am ahaed now . I did buy some impact wrenchs that were junk and returned for refund . SEYA
  6. mike54

mike54 You don't get me

Oddometer:
    I have that air tool and I've been impressed with it for the price. :dunno
    Harbor Freight is pretty good about taking stuff back if it doesn't work. Mine is anyway.
  7. krehmkej

krehmkej Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a number of different ones that have lasted for years. I DO give them a few drops of Marvel Mystery Oil into the inlet.
  8. peterman

peterman cop magnet Supporter

Oddometer:
    "Thats $20 I could put towards an IR or something I know is gonna be good."

better look to see where your high dollar IR tool is made before you spend 5 times the money for the name.
    just sayin,,

I have 2 die grinders, used almost daily,, one is IR bought at a group buy discount rate years ago, the other is HF bought for around 20 bucks.
    They are almost identical, and both are chinese made, use the same bearings, etc. Both are over 10 years old.

and +1 on the Marvel mystery oil, EVERY time you use the tool.
  9. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    I second exactly that! I have both, and the electric angle grinder is far superior because I have a wimpy compressor.

Jim :brow
  10. rick danger

Oddometer:
    Thanks all. Now I think I might try it. I'm just in from the garage unpacking a bunch of HF stuff. It's really hit or miss with them. Most of the stuff i think will be ok. 12" vise grip type welding pliers :suck. They just cock over to the side wirh any pressure. 6" and 3" look like they'le be ok. One hand squeezy bar clamp things irwin or stanley: Probably ok for light clamping ,but thats it. of course I bought 12.:patch 12" deep throat c-clamp. Tightening just spreads the clamp apart. Wimpy. Again light clamping pressure only. Well, thats the bitching section. That said alot of the stuff like 12" needlenose set ,12" diagonal cutters, crows foot line wrenches etc. Dont look much different than the craftsman stuff I just got. I'm sure craftsman stuff is made in china like everything else. Seems like though there must be different quality standards they use depending on thier customers requirements. Anyway, stuff like 16" torx screwdrivers that you wont use that much I believe are fine to get from HF. They actually look pretty nice. ...........I think what we need is a dedicated HF sticky thread for people looking to get something from HF and want to know if its crap or descent.... Just like this thread today. I think I'm gonna try the HF die grinder now after reading some positive reviews. When I came in I was leaning to getting an IR or CP..... Post the tool you're looking at and if someone has it they can tell you about it. That would be a handy thread. HF has some good deals , but shit too. This would take some of the risk out of it. I paid $19.99 each for a cotter pin assortment and hitch pin assortment at tractor supply. The same assortment from HF was $5.99. Tractor supply really looks alot like a HF store, but more expensive.
  11. Zecatfish

Zecatfish XTique Rider

Oddometer:
    Any die grinder type thing regardless of brand uses LOTS of air. Thats why I have an 80 gallon compressor.

I got one of there from HF. :thumb
    [​IMG]
    You need a BIG air hose to run it.
    Its but and tough and I hate using it cause that means I've got to work on one of the trucks AGAIN! :eek1
  12. GSMark

GSMark Just Love Bikes Supporter

Oddometer:
    If it is not smoething that I will be using often. I will buy "HF".
    I purchased "HF" 90 degree angle die grinder, expecting it not to last. It has held up more than expected. I also purchased an air stapler for recovering seats. It has held up well.

If I used these tools every day or even once a week. I would look elsewhere for the tools.

It all depends on how often you plan on using the tool. IMHO
  13. rick danger

Oddometer:
  14. safetywire

safetywire Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I imagine that Harbor Freight buys air tools from several different Chinese manufacturers, the quality probably isn't the same on all of them.

That being said, the cheapest models they sell, don't last very long. I bought two of the cheapest ones, a ratchet and a half inch impact, both would work through about one job, take it back, get another, it would work about a one job, repeat. They LOOK the same as the Ingersoll Rands but clearly on the inside something is majorly different.
  15. Green427

Green427 Comfortably Dumb

Oddometer:
    I have purchased several air & electric tools from HF. All will get the job done. If I made my living off tools, I would get better ones.

As for the die grinder tool.....waste of money unless you have an air compressor as large as the Titanic.

For a little more money, get the 4.5" electric angle grinder, which is much more efficient, albeit larger. Or, get the blue 4" angle grinder during parking lot sale days for $7.
  16. Zecatfish

Zecatfish XTique Rider

Oddometer:
  17. lifer

lifer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have used HF die grinders and IR and CP. They are are all marginal. There are times when I run a die grinder all day for several days at a time. None last real well. The HF grinders are as good as any IR or CP. The plus is that they cost $20 and when they go you toss it in the trash. Most of the die grinders last me about a year. I did have one HF 90 degree die grinder that only lasted a day. It was the one that looks like an IR that has the nut just before the 90 degree bend. I would stay away from that design. The big draw back is that the HF grinders are loud. You will want to wear ear plugs.
  18. smokedporter

smokedporter ADHD adventurererer

Oddometer:
    I have been using HF air tools for the past 5 years and they work great with my compressor (IR 5HP 60 Gal) I only buy stuff from HF when it's on sale. I paid $9.00 for the 3" cut off, 90`die grinder, and straight die grinder. I laos have a 1/2 impact, 3/8" ratchet, body saw, and a couple more that I can't remember. All have worked out fine with no problems and I use them a bunch. I have been so happy that in setting up a new shop at work I spent $500 at HF on little stuff including air tools . For $500 at HF you can buy A LOT of shit!!! We filled three carts and got a bunch of bad looks when we got to the register.
  19. showkey

showkey Long timer

Oddometer:
    shit being the key work :lol3
  20. SBA

SBA I was just ridin' along..

Oddometer:
    I have a number of HF air tools. Most have been fine, even for extended use.

A couple of exceptions; I have a 60 degree die grinder that the gears are a little rough. I also had a $28 1/2" air drill that I blew the planetary out using a 1 1/4" hole saw on the 2nd use. Took it back, got my money back and went to Northern Tool and bought their 1/2" composite body drill for $75. I've had no problems during frequent use and using large hole saws.
    When buying from HF, open up the box and really inspect the tool. If you feel like the quality is OK, then give it a try. Put it through some hard tasks and keep the receipt in case it busts.