KTM 1190 problems?

Discussion in 'Hard. Core. (1090/1190/1290)' started by AdvStrider, Jul 25, 2013.

1. AdvStrider

AdvStrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    As you can see from my signature, I own a new LC GS, so before anyone acuses me of trolling, I'm not. I change my bikes every year or so. There have been some issues already with the new GS, none of which I've experienced (yet!).

So, thinking about my next bike already, I'm intrigued by the 1190. I'm trying to find out if owners are experiencing any issues, if so, what are they, and what's the support like from KTM?

My move to the orange side is a little way off, so in the meantime, what issues/ problems have the new owners experienced with the new beast?
  2. 6732cash

6732cash Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The side stand spring was replaced under a recall
  3. Deuce

Deuce Crazy Canuck

Oddometer:
    Vancouver Island, Bitchin' Columbia, Canada
    Mostly complaints about the heat off the left side. We get the new 1190 here around the end of August. Dealer will have a demo available in a week or two.

I would never buy the first year production of ANY vehicle, especially BMW's. Did it once, never again. ('04 1200GS :puke1)

:1drink
  4. mcguyver

mcguyver Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had a small oil leak from the rear tappet cover.

Repiared under warranty at first service
  5. PPiA

PPiA Pete

Oddometer:
    No issues.

After a few hours of riding my hands get a bit buzzy, but that's it.
  6. Viajaendl

Viajaendl Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No big issues on this bike for now, I've been following all threads closely
  7. Babatad

Babatad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Big issue 1 - not enough time to enjoy the orange beast and look forward to every ride.

Big issue 2 - I'm getting a bit tired answering the many enquiries about the bike from passers by - I'm happier just to watch them admire the bike and they do

Big issue 3 - my friend is saving for one and keeps wanting to borrow mine for a ride, don't like sharing my bike and have to decline

Big issue 4 - gotta watch the speed, it's too easy to go into points deduction territory without knowing because the bike is what it is.

I complained about the left side heat before but it's not that bad after getting use to it and I'm in 30c + heat.
  8. Algarve Nick

Algarve Nick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do you change your bike every year because you get bored by them or because you get seduced by new options? I've only owned nine (including a 250 and 300 as winter bikes) in about 250,000 miles. I develop a relationship with them. The longest I kept any was a BMW R1100GS, which I took from 4K to 95K miles.
  9. AdvStrider

AdvStrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I do get seduced by new bikes!:D This is my fourth GS, and I'm thinking that maybe I should try something orange next time.:evil

Thanks for the replays guys, so not too many issues, which is great.:freaky
  10. Tancakar

Tancakar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think there are not too many issues and big un solved problems.

As far as I know we have a heat problem under the seat and the left side from the engine. I think that is can be sorted by putting a heat shield under the seat but didn't have time to do it yet.

I also had a lean running problem . Ktm service plug my bike in to Computer and reset all and I get better fuelling now.

For a very very new bike there are no problems with electronic suspension, engine, or any buttons or ignition.
    The bike seems very steady on high-speed + for a v-twin its smoother then ducati multisrada or a Ducati diavel.
  11. mcmann

mcmann Kid at Heart Supporter

Oddometer:
  12. Snowy

Snowy Long timer

Oddometer:
    AaaaHA! So...now we have the truth....things are a little rocky in paradise....

Yeah, yeah....I'll just go and sit in the corner....
  13. 990

990 Krap To Maintain

Oddometer:
    KTM have recalled the key's (to short for the KTM boxes), some R models have 690 spokes in :lol3 mate of mine has to take it in for them to be changed, my one's rear tail light flickers. Traction control is a bit of a pain (don't ride with it on anymore):D:D:D It usually wont let the front wheel go to high but the other day it came staright up and went straight down (landed on with my nuts on the tank:huh) now I just leave it off its like getting a new bike:lol3:lol3:lol3
  14. PPiA

PPiA Pete

Oddometer:
    What's the difference in spokes?
    Thickness?
  15. I JET

I JET Adventurer

Oddometer:
    1. Heated grips feel loose on the bars, too much free play, fixed the left side by tightening the screw underneath. Right side will have to look into further.
    2. Brake light flickers constantly when riding, most likely the pressure switch in the abs unit. Have herd of one other case of an 1190 with the same problem.
    3. I had my engine completely shut off yesterday while riding, I believe the cause may be the side stand spring, allowed the side stand switch to operated which I believe there is already a recall for. This has only happened once.
    4. Dust in air box, this hasn't been a problem for me as I've only had my bike for 2 weeks and I haven't been off-road yet, my local dealer told me there is a recall on the air-box which involves fitting a pre filter set up, KTM Australia are rolling out kits for this recall over the next few weeks.
  16. Reddydr

Reddydr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Its The Heat from engine + Handle bar BUZZ ( Ordered PHDC from KTM PowerParts Accessories hope this may solve problem ? )
    Indicator switches didnt work in rain need to restart engine
    The handlebar control switches struck and working after drying up
  17. I JET

I JET Adventurer

Oddometer:
    1. My side stand springs fell off completely the other weekend while I was riding, side stand came down, engine turned off, rolled to a stop, cable tied it up. - Dealer replacing springs under warranty.

2. My engine still shuts off completely, it happens usually once every ride now, always under deceleration when I pull the clutch in to change down a gear, usually when I'm pulling up to traffic lights. - Dealer checked possible cause from tilt sensor, dealer was told by KTM to completely re flash the computer, clear all codes, test ride & re check codes.

3. Tail light still flickers, Dealer told me they couldn't fault it but i've since swapped bikes with a mate and it determinately flickers on over bumps in the road. - They are looking into it again.

4. Water / moisture in indicators has been developing inside the '' sealed indicators.

5. Air box pre filter recall - Getting fitted by dealer.

Pick my bike up tomorrow so we'll see what they decide to tell me about the bike cutting off. I'm guessing it will be along the lines of. We did this, we checked that, could not fault the bike or ECU.
  18. HESHOOTSRATS

HESHOOTSRATS n00b

Oddometer:
    hi did they finds a fix for this fault as mine is the same, it actually flashed when I was off the bike which was parked up in gear keys in ignition??? dealer checked it out nothing done still the same I also get a strong smell of petrol when I return from a ride vent problem ?? dealer checked nothing done still the same. had the heat deflector fitted under seat still gets hot??? so not really getting anywhere although no fault of my dealer who is great can we contact ktm direct??
  19. Bundu

Bundu KTM 1290SA

Oddometer:
    maybe your dealer is not as sharp as you think - he should be able to see on the KTM system, that there is a "recall" on many bikes, which relates to tank vent, seat foil and steering damper

If you enter your details here http://www.ktm.com/za/dealer-service/service/service-safety-check.html
    you should also see the alert
  20. Nerb

Nerb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    At my first service they checked the vent (was fine), dampener (was fine) and fitted the foil under the seat. I havnt noticed a heat problem any more than any faired bike ive owned. Touch wood, my bike has been perfect.