2010 KLR 650 blown 20 amp fuse

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Rail32, May 18, 2015.

1. Rail32

Rail32 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    After a couple hours of digging and fixing soon to be rubbing issues mainly behind dash I found real problem. Rectifier harness rubbed it way through on harness metal strap . A bit of soldering , some shrink tubing and some added shrink tubing around sanded strap and we are golden . After work tomorrow and all plastic will be back on and I will be rolling again. Thanks to this forum I quickly found issue and really got a good look at possible issues behind the dash . Yikes , kawasaki what were ya thinking in there. This winter will be some serious preventive maintenance wiring wise .
    Thanks everybody for the threads I read last nite.
  2. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    You need to check, wrap and armor every inch. I had a 2009 with the "upgraded" harness.... yeah, it rubbed through and shorted at 17,000, never could find the spot, left me stranded... intermittent problem when trying to diagnose. Ended up scoring a new in the bag/sealed harness for a good price. I triple armored it in split loom in some places, when the new one went in. Some of it got re-routed as well.

Even those (little shitty) wires behind the gauge pack.... they can/will rub through, plastic on plastic on those white ridges back of the gauges. It wont blow a fuse, but can leave ya walking.

Good on you for posting this. Many think this problem somehow no longer exists by virtue of it's year or gen. Even on my Kawi Versys, the ugly twin cyl. cousin to your bike, I found two rub through's that would have got me soon.

Thanks for posting this :deal

EDIT:

If you have not seen this guy's video, he shows some of the trouble spots. He goes TOO LIGHT on his armor job... yet it's useful to see what he points out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dJQczy9-88