Death Valley Waypoints and Tracks

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - West & PNW' started by offroute, Feb 16, 2006.

1. offroute

offroute Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Am heading to Death Valley next week and have prepared a very detailed GPX file that can be downloaded and used by anyone who is thinking of doing Death Valley backcountry. The file includes 101 waypoints at important intersections on most of the dual-sport capable off-road routes. Those with Garmin Mapsource City Nav or City Select can string the waypoints together to form easy to follow routes - or simply use the waypoints to make sure you are really where you think you are.

Waypoints were all derived from 1:24,000 scale USGS topos, or aerial photos. Some may be off a little, but most should be very close. I am planning on confirming as many as possible next week when I head down to document the rides.

The tracks were taken off a GPX file I found here ADVrider.com. Again, I will verify as many of them as I can next week and add more if able.

Here is the link to the current version of this file:

GPXchange.com

Note that the map is interactive and you can drill down to very detailed zooms in both topo and aerial photo views. Links below the maps are available for those who want to get paper maps with all the waypoints labeled - a great way to use with GPS. The GPX download is available on the File Info page, as is a Google Earth file for interesting 3D views. Just use the File Info link above the map to find these downloads.

Hope this proves useful. Will post an updated version with photos and much more complete descriptive data when I return.

Cheers
    dirtmucker likes this.
  2. dyvking

dyvking ahead of his flamin star

Oddometer:
    Wow.. very cool Off! I was at DV last weekend, but rode the RT. The closest I got to offroad was Wildrose road (and I've done that on my LT). I'm going back in April with the GS and will definitely make use of your file.

Thanks
  3. murraebueller

murraebueller victimized by wanderlust

Oddometer:
    Hey Off-
    Very cool- We're heading to DV on the 7th of March and we would very much appreciate taking advantage of your updated info.:thumb We're using a Garmon Quest with the Mapsource Citynav. Thanks in advance!
    Murrae
  4. Conrod

Conrod Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awesome - thanks for posting this!
  5. TL Mac

TL Mac TL Mac

Oddometer:
    Do you know how long site will be down? It looks really interesting and were going to DV this month. Thanks for the info.
  6. DirtyDog

DirtyDog Omnia mea mecum porto Supporter

Oddometer:
    Awesome. You saved me a lot of work. I get the claw hand from making so many pre-ride tracks in mapsource.

Cheers:freaky
  7. klinquist

klinquist übergeek

Oddometer:
    Only somewhat related question for those that have been to Death Valley: Any pictures of the road to the 'Racetrack'? I'm wondering if I can get there on my VFR. I didn't have time when I was through the park in a cage, and I'm planning a 2500 mile trip that will take me through DV on the bike.

Thanks!
  8. DirtyDog

DirtyDog Omnia mea mecum porto Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's not the easiest road, but I guess if you have the courage to do it on a road bike, then be my guest. I don't recall it being very rough- maybe SUV material. I think it's about 30 miles of dirt (one way). Hopefully you will use common sense.:deal
  9. stevets

stevets Dirt Rider

Oddometer:
    You will be fine if you can handle gravel roads

The road is pretty smooth - I rode thru there on the DV350 ride on March 29, the road was just graded - in fact the road graders were still parked at teakettle junction
  10. Daytona_Rider

Daytona_Rider You should be racing

Oddometer:
    .... :eek1 I'd have serious thoughts about taking a street bike (i.e. a VFR) to Racetrack. But that's me. If you've done it (I mean ride dirt roads with lots'a rocks) before and are good at it go for it. Beware though the road isn't "easy" and there are some sandy bits. I just rode the route three days ago and it's cake on a GS w/ knobbies but street tires and street geometry... dunno.

Cheers
    DR
    :D
  11. Lionel_Hall

Lionel_Hall Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Link is broken, can someone send me the Death Valley info file that started this thread?

Thanks,
    Lionel
  12. Redbull Addict

Redbull Addict I need another one...

Oddometer:
    the link is still down...I could use it also.
  13. offroute

offroute Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  14. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fred, you should have asked me, I have a file with tracks of every road in Death Valley. There arn't that many. I haven't put it on GPSXchange because I use them for comercial rides.

Feb 3-day ride Ridgecreast to Pahrump to Beatty and back
    March 2-day Ridgecreast to Beatty and back
  15. shleppy

shleppy Shlepdawg up in here

Oddometer:
    Countdown....

I'm heading out to Death Valley in a week for a few days of riding. Any chance you could share your file with all the Death Valley tracks? :ricky

16. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am out of town but will try to update it an put it on GPSXchange.com when I get home. Looks there is lots of interest.
  17. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK I have added two files with Death Valley tracks to GPSXchange.com The Death Valley files needs updating with tracks just outside the park. I will try to get to it this week.
    scottydawg likes this.
  18. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer:
    Jerry - I pointed the Noob Rally guys to a couple of your earlier posts in this forum with Death Valley roads/tracks/waypoints:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8264706&postcount=951
  19. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is what I like about GPSXchange.com I can indenture all my files so people can find tracks in AREAS they are interested in, they don't have to remember key words or do search.
  20. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK I updated the Death Valley file on GPSXchange.com and added many miles of tracks and color coded them.