2013 Barber Vintage Festival.....Oct 11-13

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by Moto-Kafe, Sep 19, 2013.

1. WaywardSon

WaywardSon Long timer

Oddometer:
    @Mark444 & Custmmc....thanks for the suggestions on lodging. I'll try to make some time to check them out. I have used all of the routes you mentioned in the past. Usually leave the hotel & take Blue Lake Rd. (I think) to Sicard Hollow etc. Nice little ride for sure.

Days Inn is directly across the street from Logan's Roadhouse. I remember an Irish pub kind of next door...but the Tilted Kilt doesn't ring a bell. Maybe I should make an effort to find it? We are just a couple of old country boys from Kentucky...do they have a pool table?:deal
  2. Moto-Kafe

Moto-Kafe Gnarly Entre-manure Supporter

Oddometer:
  3. deaconjones

deaconjones Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thats the way to go. We stay at a La Quinta INN 2 or 3 blocks from this intersection and don't have to contend with 280 that much. The La Quinta is also adjacent to the Irish Pub mentioned in another post - very convenient.
  4. WaywardSon

WaywardSon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a destination to me...I'll check it out! And was kidding about the pool table...didn't much figure I'd find one there. That's OK as it eliminates 50% of the opportunity for a fight to break out. Guess I'll just have to watch 'em fight over the pussy instead:deal
  5. warriorcole

warriorcole n00b sch00b

Oddometer:
    Anybody gets left out in the cold, I may have room for a tent or two. I am about a mile from Barbers. Looking forward to the festival.
  6. bmwloco

bmwloco Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you have Vendor privs, you may be able to ride around, but it is freaking crowded.

As for a "For Sale" sign, sure.

If you have cool enough parts, if you haul 'em out, they will come.

And yes, you can enjoy any beverage you like outside your trailer. If you play music at 100db or act like foolish teenagers, you may get a visit from the paid po-po. :freaky

Most of all, it's sensory overload for motorcyclist. :norton
  7. forrestrider

forrestrider Dont Do Stupid Shit..

Oddometer:
    Hay Mini

a lot of us from P-Cola will be up there on Friday for the weekend, and after headed up to Tn.-NC afterword.
  8. Jhammer

Jhammer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is my 5th trip there it is well worth the drive form Joplin,Missouri!:D
  9. dirtymartini

dirtymartini Shaken, Not Stirred

Oddometer:
    Riding down from PA...leaving Wednesday morning and taking the scenic route down. Some BRP and other two lanes, trying to stay of the slab as much as possible. This will be my third visit.

My brother lives about 20 minutes away near Springville so I have the accommodations covered:evil

As someone said...it's sensory overload:clap
  10. Jason F.

Jason F. Will Ride for Beer...

Oddometer:
    Yes you can ride your bike around the perimeter road, the campground area, and the parking paddock areas. You can not ride it in the swap meet area unless you have a vendor pass/spot.

Yes you can have a sign on it. Pretty common to see bikes with for sale signs on them parked along the road. Lots of traffic will see it. Just be sure to provide a cell phone number with area code that you can answer there.

Yes you can leave some parts near your camper/trailer, as long as you are subtle about it and do not have an entire trailer worth of stuff out there. Several years folks have had parts in the campground. I bought a Ducati Tank off a fellow camped across from me a couple years ago.

Technically they say no glass bottles like pretty much every campground in existence but I have never seen that enforced and have had bottled beer before. Heck some groups bring a keg with them and have draft beer all weekend. Not much problem with over drinking and everything quiets down at a reasonable time normally. For the most part the crowd is mature enthusiasts.
  11. Jason F.

Oddometer:
    Will be down again this year, camping in lot C again as well.

Thinking about just doing the trailer thing this year since my riding partner is on a WR250R this time around. Not the best thing for 400 mile days.
  12. Reddane

Reddane Circling pi

Oddometer:
    Hey bud,

Be sure to drop me a line so we can go demolish some tasty beer. :clap

Hans
  13. dirtymartini

Oddometer:

What's the 20 on the tasty beer?:1drink
  14. Reddane

Reddane Circling pi

Oddometer:
    Heya! :1drink

Check this out:

http://www.hopcitybeer.com/

Massive selection of good beers and they change out the taps for new stuff just about every day. Plus its in driving distance of good restaurants in Bham and not that far back to Barber area.

FWIW, I live about 5 miles from Barber (one exit up) and would be happy to put a group together for dinner if anyone is interested. You guys will have to excuse me though because I'm bikeless at the moment. Doesn't mean that I've forgotten all of the good riding roads in the area.

Cheers!,

:clap
  15. Reddane

Reddane Circling pi

Oddometer:
    Heads up guys, Sicard Hollow is full of potholes. It's the result of construction of McHomes on the road (heavy trucks). The holes are especially bad just as you enter into the twisties.

If you do take it be extremely careful. With some luck they will have it patched up in time. But don't hold your breath on it. Just wanted to give everyone a warning. Sorry for the bad news.
  16. Jason F.

Oddometer:
    Will do :freaky
  17. Jason F.

Oddometer:
    Also there is Good People in Birmingham but they have limited tour hours. Tap room is open 7 days a week though.

If you are coming or going north up I-65 there is Blue Pants Brewing in Madison and Straight to Ale in Huntsville. All three are making really good beer especially Straight to Ale.
  18. Reddane

Reddane Circling pi

Oddometer:
    redacted.
  19. Moto-Kafe

Moto-Kafe Gnarly Entre-manure Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just a clarification to a question about riding your bike around the complex: you can ride your street legal motorcycle around the Perimeter Road as long as you wear a helmet and have a street legal tag. Not sure about an MX bike with a tag slapped on it......you may get "detained". I totally agree with the rules......leave kids running up and down the grassy hills/perimeter road on dirt bikes to other events elsewhere, not this one. Also, only "Barber Rented" golf carts are allowed on the premises......no dogs allowed (there is an outfit closeby where you can board your pets).......no fires on the ground (I believe portable metal firepits are OK??).......nice shower/RR facilities over near the Swap Meet area. Bring a folding chair and/or blanket as there are very little grandstand seating anywhere.
  20. dirtymartini

Oddometer:

I'll be staying at my brother's house near Springville. I'm sure I can find it if Hops are involved:1drink