Crash Bars for 2013 F800GS

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by xsf18cdf, Jan 16, 2013.

1. xsf18cdf

xsf18cdf xsf18cdf

Oddometer:
    Just ordered my first GS and pick it up next Monday. I want to put a good set of frame-mounted crash bars on it. I've only seen the Touratechs so far. Anyone know of anyone else that makes them? I plan on dumping the bike frequently and want as much protection as possible.

Thanks in advance,

Gary
  2. DoWorkSon

DoWorkSon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There are a ton of companies that make them. Do a search and you will get long posts dedicated to crash bars. I am not sure what companies have started making them for the 2013 models however. I have adventure spec and I really like them
  3. xsf18cdf

xsf18cdf xsf18cdf

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Been Googling my butt off. I've only found Touratech for >frame-mounted< crash bars. Looked in Germany, South Africa, USA......Touratech are the only ones I find.
  4. toowheels

toowheels on a mission...

Oddometer:
    I think he's specifying frame-mounted engine bars DoWorkSon.

Hey Gary,

There are only two I'm aware of: the original Touratech's you mention and Wunderlich Adventure bars.

That being said the more common engine mounted ones haven't proved to be a problem from what I've seen. Only one report of engine mount damage (not the case) over the years and that appeared to be from being broad sided by a car (he bought a used bike). It was repaired fairly easily.

There are a few engine bar threads to read reviews on what riders think of them as DoWorkSon.said. Google or search.

Dave
  5. petzi-baer

petzi-baer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Also depends how far you want to take it. If you would like to protect the upper part as well, I guess touratech is your choice:
    http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/304/PN-048-5161/Upper-Crash-Bars-BMW-F800GS-F700GS-2013-on

petzi-baer
  6. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer:
    sure but at 300 bucks just the upper part and 300 the lower part I'm not so sure of their utility. I mean they mainly are supposed to protect the plastics when you have a drop but I think your plastics are around the samre price :huh
  7. petzi-baer

petzi-baer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    One side - new for 2012 or before- will cost you at least $370. Only the painted part.....

petzi-baer
  8. fractalsource

fractalsource Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I bought the hepco-becker. See: http://neu.hepco-becker.de/Montageanleitungen/502936.0001.pdf
    But He is right. The touratech looks like they cover the upper area - way better. Hope they come in black. The engine skid plate was something I have needed first. Because my Panniers, and Black Dog foot pegs with a built-in bottle opener, works as the frame slider.
  9. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer:
    yeah thats it, you get 2 free drops :lol3
  10. 4TooMany

4TooMany Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just to be clear to the OP, the ones that mount to the lower part of the engine also mount to the frame in the critical areas. So it's not like the engine is taking the full hit. The BMW bars even mount to the engine, so it's not like they're recommending against it.
  11. xsf18cdf

xsf18cdf xsf18cdf

Oddometer:
    That was my concern- the engine tabs or case taking a fatal blow.
  12. 4TooMany

4TooMany Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I understand your concern as I was somewhat worried about it too. But considering the majority of the bars mount to the engine (including the BMWs), and considering I have yet to see a damaged engine because of it, I decided to go with the SW-Motech bars.
  13. xsf18cdf

xsf18cdf xsf18cdf

Oddometer:

I like the BMW and SW Motech bars and wish that Touratech made a tall upper extension for their expedition bar that is like the upper for the BMW bar. Thanks for your help! Sorry if my question was a bit newbish.....This is my first BMW but been riding/racing since I was 12- I'm 52 now. Still plan on crashing a lot though.
  14. OFA

OFA Adventure Obsession

Oddometer:
    The crash bars are meant to be used over and again, meaning you may drop it many times over a number of years and they should still work but clearly just one good drop will crack plastic and the rad is close by.

I bought the engine crash bars when I bought my bike because at the time, Aug 2012, there were no bars available for the 2013 F800GS - certainly not on Vancouver Island, British Columbia. It wasnt what I wanted, I specified that I wanted solid crash bars to the sales girl at (edit:i removed the dealer name) and she assured me that these are great. They are not
    The Touratech or BMW bars look great but they do not protect the upper plastic and the first time I just let the bike over while stopped (it stalled on a grass hill as I was turning into a campsite) the bars bent in and made contact with the clutch cover. They do not seem to be really solid to me. I bent them back out a millimeter with a good solid pull and later a little more with a lever.
    So I am in a similar position, as I am undecided whether to buy the $300 upper bars from Touratech or dump the engine bars and get a new crash bar complete.
    I emailed Touratech and asked about the durability of the upper bars and they said there are too many variables to say but the bras have been used in the GS Trophy and said they worked well. It's difficult to say what that means but I'm thinking that perhaps the upper bar mounts solidify an otherwise not so solid setup.
    I told the sales girl at (edit: removed the dealer name) about the bars bending and she replied they are designed to be bent back. Hmmmm.
  15. jengel451

jengel451 1 Cool MotherF#$cker

Oddometer:
  16. biodieselandon

biodieselandon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would say the new Touratech lower and upper Crash Bars protect the most, and look the best. Looks are very important, right?
  17. Pangia

Pangia Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After reading a lot of posts on ADV Rider, I opted for the SW Motech bars on my 2013 F800GS even with the understanding that they would fit closer to the plastics on the 2013 F800GS (left side) than a 2012 F800GS. (Which leads me to assume that SW Motech did not retool or redesign for the 2013.) One of the reasons I chose SW Motech was that I was convinced my knees would have room and not hit the bars. I also saw enough photos of F800's on their sides on these bars that I was convinced they work. I was also heavily influenced by this video as well as other pics of Chris Teach McNiel abusing his F800GS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btRvVLA0KzM

Now, having had the bars for 500 miles - they are close to the plastics on the left side....about 1/4 inch of space. I went down once on the left side at 5 mph while on ice covered by a layer of mud - the bars now have about 1/64 of an inch clearance. They did their job, but it was a very soft drop in very soft conditions and I am not sure if they will really protect the plastics next time.

A few months ago another inmate posted photos of how close the SW Motech bars were on the left side on his 2013 F800GS and he added a spacer or two to get more space. I was not able to relocate that post. I called Twisted Throttle last week to see if they were acknowledging the fact that the bars did not have enough clearance on the left and they noted it - but do not offer a fix. They are out of SW Motech bars and I believe SW Motech is out as well - leading to speculation that perhaps a redesign has occurred and a 2013 bar will be out at some point in time...hopefully sooner than later.

When you watch the you tube video above.....watch to the end, you get to see the crash bars perform their function. :clap
  18. AK_Troyer

AK_Troyer Not AKTroy

Oddometer:
    I have the TT bars on my 2010. Frame mount was a factor in my decision, plus they flow with the lines on the bike better than those Dumbo ears.
  19. biodieselandon

biodieselandon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just ordered the Touratech crash bars for my 2013. That means when the bike finally gets back from the shop I am going to have to buy a case of beer and spend a day in the shop installing:

-Touratech Crash Bars
    -Touratech Hand Guards and Spoilers
    -Touratech Quick Release Headlight Guard
    -Touratech Zega Pro Panniers, Anodized Black with SS Hardware
    -Touratech Folding Adjustable Gear Lever
    -Touratech Folding Adjustable Brake Lever
    -Touratech Aluminum Luggage Rack
    -Pivot Pegz
    -Rox Handlebar Risers

[​IMG]
  20. CrustyOldFart

CrustyOldFart Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have spoken with and traded emails with the folks at Twisted Throttle and they have acknowledged the SW-Motech crash bars "do not fit perfectly" on the 2013 F8GS, meaning, they know the clearance is reduced from the fit on earlier models. I was told Motech was evaluating this and Twisted would get back to me once they know whether Motech will be offering a revised bar for the 2013 model, and if so I could trade in my recently received and uninstalled bars for new ones. I bought my bike in late-January and had ordered the Motech bars as part of my purchase through the dealer. I'm holding the bars boxed up in original packaging in my garage until I get final word from Twisted Throttle.

It's a bummer because I've now had my bike over a month, will not take it off-road until I get the protection mounted, and now have about 800 miles of commuting miles on it. I made a total rookie mistake last week I'm embarrassed to admit and almost dropped my bike in a parking lot last week. I was sitting on the bike and rolled it forward to get it off the center stand but I also still had the sidestand down at the same time. When it rolled off the center stand the sidestand hit the ground and pitched the bike to the right pretty hard. :eek1 It felt like it was teetering on the verge of falling over for a moment and It was only pure luck I was able to stop the momentum and pull the bike back up to center balance. I would have been so bummed if had dropped it without the bars on. I sent another email to Twisted Throttle on Thursday last week to follow up on status of new bars, if Motech is making them, and have yet to get a reply. Getting frustrated and if I don't get a definitive answer soon may return these and go with the Altrider bars.