Looking for accomodations in WV and BRP

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by mrbreeze, Apr 17, 2013.

1. mrbreeze

mrbreeze I keep blowing down the road

Oddometer:
    I am planning a trip with several friends for this summer. We are planning to go from Middle Tennessee up thru Kentucky and West Virginia. Then we will jump on the BRP in Virginia somewhere and spend about three days getting to the southern end of it. I am thinking we will spend the first night in eastern Kentucky, maybe somewhere around Pikeville. Then the next three nights in the same place in WV. Then three nights on or near the BRP, moving a little father southward each night. I would like to be in Cherokee or Maggie Valley by the third night. We will probably spend a couple of nights there in the same place, and then head for home the next day.

So, any suggestions on good places to stay, good roads to ride, fun things to do, would be appreciated. We will be on big fat overweight touring bikes, so we aren't going to Dally Sods. :D Also we will not be camping. Motels and cabins only, please.

thanks
  2. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
  3. Guy Young

Guy Young Long timer

Oddometer:
  4. mrbreeze

mrbreeze I keep blowing down the road

Oddometer:
    that's great guys! thanks for the help!
  5. Guy Young

Guy Young Long timer

Oddometer:
    FWIW - I've stayed at all of the above and the accommodations were excellent. Again, sounds like a fun trip and wish you all the best for a fun and safe journey. And yes, I am envious. :lol3

Best.

6. dlrides

dlrides 1:1.618 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ky and WV will make the BRP seem like a joke, as far as fun roads go. Buy a map, follow the squiggly lines in KY and WV.
  7. baloneyskin daddy

baloneyskin daddy bikaholic Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    We're heading to WV for the weekend and are staying in Cass . There are houses for rent, that were once lodging for loggers or miners , that are refurbished and very nice and affordable.
  8. Guy Young

Guy Young Long timer

Oddometer:
    What Dl said. If you enter VA from KY on Rte. 80 near Breaks, look for the Crooked Road Signs. Some very nice roads along that route.

9. Guy Young

Guy Young Long timer

Oddometer:
    As many times as I have been through there, I always wanted to take advantage of what they have done with those old houses. Every time I'm there, they've always managed to renovate a couple more. Just need to convince the to take a break from all this urban/suburb crap and get-away. They were originally company houses for employees that worked at the logging company there in Cass back at the turn of the century.

http://www.cassrailroad.com/cottages.html

We have ridden the Shays up to Whittaker Station a number of years back, and that was a lot of fun. I think she also enjoyed it.

EDIT: I wasn't gonna do this, but figured what the heck.

Some pix of Cass and the Shays:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you go, make sure you go in the old company store.They have a pretty impressive diorama (think that's the correct description) of the town as it used to be back in its day. Neat place.

10. FormerInmate 081920

FormerInmate 081920 Guest

Oddometer:
  11. iBiker

iBiker ADV Pirate

Oddometer:
    West Virginia at the confluence of US Rt 50 & I-79
    Run US 250 from I-70 (OH/WV border) to I-81 (Staunton VA) or vice versa. Prepare to be amazed!

Plenty of rural highway with urban stops to refuel your tank in your belly. Gets less the farther south you move so make sure you are loaded with both. Not that there isn't any, just more sparse the farther south you move.

[​IMG]