2011 530 EXC: Why did you die? Why won't you start?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by LeBoognish, Feb 23, 2012.

1. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 The only easy day was yesterday...

Oddometer:
    Have to try something different. Too rich and too lean will not start. Did you hold the throttle open? Try a new spark plug?
  2. Capp

Capp Resident

Oddometer:
    Along with checking the pilot, did you also check the needle that it wasn't getting hung up at all?
  3. LeBoognish

LeBoognish Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Haha thankfully I'm positive I didn't get that guys bike. Thanks for sharing the horror story though!!
  4. LeBoognish

LeBoognish Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty certain the carb is set up pretty well for where I am. Would it being too rich or too lean be able to cause the weird dying effect I had after months of being fine?
  5. LeBoognish

LeBoognish Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Did not. We just loosened the hose clamps, pulled the carb from the engine intake and rotated to access the bowl. I guess if I wanted to check the needles I'll have to pull the whole carb off.
  6. Capp

Capp Resident

Oddometer:
    No. You can check it the same way. Loosen clamps and pull it from the intake and rotate. Pull off the throttle cable cover first. Thats how I change the needle in my bike when/if needed.
  7. LeBoognish

LeBoognish Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Alrighty I'll give that a shot a little later when I get some time. Thanks! I'll let you know what I find.
  8. mickd

mickd crash test dummie

Oddometer:
    have a look at the kill button
  9. LeBoognish

LeBoognish Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Would the plug still fire if the kill button was bad?
  10. TeamJunk

TeamJunk Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you got good spark and fuel you may have sheared a key
    On the stator rotor making in off time.
  11. LeBoognish

LeBoognish Adventurer

Oddometer:
    well guys, if you're wondering why I haven't been on the thread for a few days continuing to try and figure this problem out . . .

[​IMG]

that happened the other day and has kept me pretty occupied. I hope I can get back in the garage soon but being a mom is hard work!

What i'm trying to say is, I'll keep you posted. Please don't give up on me or my bike! We need you!
    Clayh likes this.
  12. Michael15

Michael15 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had something similar happen to my '11 530exc. I went on a ride where there were more than a few water crossings. During the ride my bike wouldn't idle and then became almost impossible to start. Took it to shop and they "fixed" it. Brought the bike home and hosed off the mud(not much pressure) and the bike did the same thing...wouldn't idle and was impossible to start. I took it back to the shop and they spent some time on it....they took my jetting from a 48 to a 42 because the bike was to rich and also they found some moisture in the spark plug cap. They sealed that up, changed the plug and made the adjustment to the jetting. Bike ran great this weekend over 330miles of the SDAR dez dash. It can still be a little difficult to start when the engine is hot...not sure if that is just user error??
  13. darthdingas

darthdingas n00b

Oddometer:
    Any one know if he fixed it I know its an old thread but Ive tried it all but replacing the stator, And have read some where that it may even be the flywheel both not a cheap fix if it fixes it at all, All I want to do is ride!!!
  14. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    That's really getting off topic and highly unlikely.
  15. Bungholio

Bungholio Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was just reading this and my thoughts are spark plug. Replace it. My experience has been on and off problems like that are electrical and the plug has been the culprit almost everytime. Otherwise it is a shorted plug wire or cap.