'06 DL650 handguards on an '07?

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by cantrell, May 16, 2007.

1. cantrell

cantrell Rider and Writer

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty sure I read that the '06 handguards will work on an '07, but I just want to confirm before ordering (so I get stuck having to pay the restocking fee). Has anyone successfully installed '06 Suzuki handguards on an '07? Suzuki says they won't fit, but I'm thinking they will.

Also, I'm thinking of ordering a Suzuki center stand. Are they ok, or should I go with a different brand?

By the way, I'm very happy with my new '07 Wee. I've only gotten about 20 miles on it because I'm so busy working, but they were very fun miles. Can't wait for the weekend!

Thanks,
    Christian
  2. Kidder

Kidder Poser

Oddometer:
    I've also heard they won't fit but I don't know why. What has changed?
  3. Joe D

Joe D Registered User

Oddometer:
    I never heard any of that so I just bought them and put them on. I have an 07 wee but I put Protaper handle bars on also. I have an after mkt center stand but I think the Suzuki one is a little wider and is a little more stable Joe
  4. i_4ce

i_4ce Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The throttle cable housing changed from pre '07s. I installed the hand guards just fine. There was a guy on rapidforums that had to dremel a piece out of his hand guards to get them to fit. I just think he had his brake lever too high.

Don't know why Suzuki would report that they won't work. Seem like they are losing hand guard sales for no reason.
  5. Forseti

Forseti Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just to be clear... yes the hand guards fit 07 650 Stroms. No modifications needed.

S.O. bringing her new 07 650 Strom home from dealer. Note that it has the Suzuki hand guards installed.

[​IMG]
  6. Forseti

Forseti Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Suzuki centre stand works well. I understand that the aftermarket (non Suzuki) stand is narrower and thus less stable. We have Suzuki stands on both our 650's. no complaints.
  7. greywolf

greywolf Unpaved road avoider

Oddometer:
    The SW-Motech is narrower. I have no stability fears and I've never read about one failing to hold the bike up though. The Suzuki handguards fit just fine on my '07.
  8. cantrell

cantrell Rider and Writer

Oddometer:
    Thanks all. As usual, invaluable advice.
  9. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:
    The handguards and other OEM accessories work fine on the 07 Wee Strom with one notable exception:the heated grips don't work. That's ok however as I found an aftermarket set with the same temperature controller and unlike the OEM heated grips, these heat all the way around and heat evenly side to side. Big improvement over the OEM heated grips I had on my 05 Wee Strom