Bikes you didn't like nearly as much as you thought you would.

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by davidji, Nov 18, 2012.

1. Nadgett

Nadgett Obnoxious, dimwitted blowhard

Oddometer:
    Both of the Bullets that I rented felt like they were going to disintegrate when they got up to 60 m.p.h. They were fine for pottering along the back roads at 45.
  2. Nadgett

Nadgett Obnoxious, dimwitted blowhard

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. Gooner

Gooner Lanterne Rouge

Oddometer:
    1994 CBR1000F and 2001 CBR1100XX. The bikes were both good, had no reason not to like them except I guess I'm just not a fan of inline 4s. Replaced both with VFRs and was much happier.
  4. dieselpete

dieselpete Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    GSX1100R, no where near as fun as the 750, just slow, and awkward.
  5. RobbieO

RobbieO Muskokatard

Oddometer:
    Suzuki DR350.....I thought I would love it, but I didn't!

Got a Suzuki DRZ400 next and LOVED IT!!
  6. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    No, it was black with yellow trim. The second one I lusted after was red with black trim.
  7. bogboy

bogboy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had a 1200 harley sportster. I bought this to work my way up the Harley chain. Great to look at but piece of shit. I would drive about 50 miles to the coast and have to fill up again. 2 gallon tank and about 55 miles. When I was at the gas station I would have to shake out my hands for about 15 minutes from the nasty vibrations. That was when I was in my 20's by the way. Another night I was cruising around in the wee hours of the morning with a young lady and the thing died on my. Broken battery connection at 3000 thousand miles. Pushed it to her house about a mile away and temporarily fixed it and brought it to the Harley dealer. He explained to me after my bitching that I should have know about this common issue and changed the cable out. Sold the bike after owning a year and made 200 bucks. I haven't owned a Harley since.
    Endorphin likes this.
  8. UnsureFooting

UnsureFooting Title of User Here

Oddometer:
    55 miles on a 2 gallon peanut tank? That's what, a gallon and a half to reserve? Wtf did you expect? Mine had the 4.5 gallon tank, and it would do 180-220 miles between fills.
  9. scotty918

scotty918 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yup, in stock form, Sportsters are god awful... However, Harley makes some great bikes, the Sportster just isn't one of them.
  10. 30Bones

30Bones Long timer

Oddometer:
    I loved my nightster and would own another in a heartbeat. Sort the suspension and it's a nice bike and mile muncher. shrug
  11. Mambo Danny

Mambo Danny I cannot abide.

Oddometer:

Ugh, am I wrong to still want one?

Maybe yours was just the odd one? Maybe the ones from ten years ago were better? Maybe... I don't know - but someone please tell me Enfields are worth owning :cry
  12. YJake

YJake Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll sell you one. :evil

-Jake
  13. DrZrider

DrZrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Honda Passport C70. I wanted one of these for a long time, ever since reading a Peter Egan article about his road trip on one back in the day. I was enchanted with stories of it's indestructibility and ease of use, I thought it would be fun to run around town on..and maybe one day take a overnight trip with it just because.

Working on it was just painful though. I had to fix something simple, I forget what, but it involved removing the rear wheel, shocks, exhaust, etc. I thought it would be a relaxing project, but it was way more frustrating than my DRZ or Tiger. And because it was 70cc, insurance would have been just as much as my other motorcycles.

It was fun to ride around the neighborhood and through the yard, but next time I'll just get more modern moped if I feel the need.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. Mambo Danny

Mambo Danny I cannot abide.

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a good one, lol!
  15. Stromtrooper246

Stromtrooper246 Lost again

Oddometer:
    The ST1300 was so boring I traded it in for a Tiger 800! :clap :clap :clap
  16. Cat0020

Cat0020 El cheapo

Oddometer:
    What were you working on exactly?
  17. DrZrider

DrZrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I can't remember now, this was a couple of years ago. Maybe I was just removing the rear tire? I know I had to remove the exhaust to do that. I remember removing the rear shock to get the chain guard off as well...maybe that was just part of the rear tire removal too? Everything was just pancaked together, to get to one thing you had to remove a million other things. I thought it was ridiculous for such a simple bike.

This might not be in the spirit of this thread (the bike was still fun to drive around), but it was such a pain to work on I just wanted to get rid of it. I've had a few other Honda's from this design era (Super 90, CB160, SL350) and they all seemed to be frustrating to work on. Not that they were impossible, I just didn't enjoy that aspect of ownership as much as I do with my DRZ or Tiger 955i.
  18. bogboy

bogboy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I Fn' expected better mileage actually
  19. trrt

trrt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
  20. UnsureFooting

UnsureFooting Title of User Here

Oddometer:
    It's 36 mpg. Not horrible, but I got 45 avg out of my 1200.