Yamaha WR250R Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Sock Monkey, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Reeksy

Reeksy high state of hiatus

Oddometer:
    I have no vibes on a renthal bar. I got some adjustable risers from caloundra yam dealers. Cheap and allow to adjust stacks to right height.
  2. crunchiespg

crunchiespg Long timer

Oddometer:
    I ordered the full length, with bearings, today. It looks like it'll be a fair bit shorter than the stock, and I plan to set it up for 1 or 2 finger use.

As for mirrors, I've got highway dirt bike guards with the bar end mirrors. So it'll be nice to get rid of the threaded hole which is sat empty right now.

I got it in red just be different. It'll go with my red front sprocket guard.

[​IMG]
  3. crunchiespg

crunchiespg Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've got the highest risers that highway dirt bikes could fit with the stock cables and renthal fat bars with the CR bend. No vibrations at all. I did flip the throttle over so the cables are on the bottom to give a little more free room.

The rise was the best mod I've done to this bike. I'm only 5'9" or 10" and it was way way too low for me.
  4. Red Dust

Red Dust Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cheers! I`m 180 cm (5ft 11") and find the handlebar a bit low when standing up. Compared to my XT1200 this one is smooth as so I do not want to muck it up and get vibes.
    Many thanks!
  5. crunchiespg

crunchiespg Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeh I'm 177cm and it's way too low. I highly recommend the highway dirt bikes set up. So solid and no vibes at all. And not even expensive.
    I got the bars, guards, risers, top clamp, mirrors and the switch mount for $300 delivered.
  6. Reeksy

Reeksy high state of hiatus

Oddometer:
    I couldn't get over how much smoother my WRR was compared to my KLR, especially given the revs it's pulling ... balancing the wheels made it even better, too.
  7. mountainJ

mountainJ I wanna RIDE!

Oddometer:
    Hi everyone,
    I've been following this forum for a long time doing my research and
    I finally picked up a nice 2008 wr250x last weekend. Just over 7k miles and with the FMF programer and powerbomb and GYTR exhaust can. Also had the EXUP and AIS removed. Otherwise stock. So far I'm really liking this bike. Coming of an 1150GS I can say that I am very pleased with the manueverability and can't wait to take this on some of the trails I passed up while on the GS. I got out today for a nice 3 hour ride in the foot hills which included 20 miles of freeway and I was impressed how smooth this thing was even at 75mph (gps).

I've got my laundry list of things I want to add starting with protection items like skid plate, case saver, hand guards etc. I will also be doing a Seat Concepts upgrade as I feel like I'm still sitting on a 2x4 12 hours later. And after my BMW experience I will never own a bike without heated grips again.

My biggest challange seems to be finding the right nobby tires for my 17" wheels. I will eventually pick up some proper sized wheels in the 21 and 18 inch relm but for now just want some nobbies. Can anyone give me solid advice here? I've seen and read lots about the Shinko 244's and Pirelli MT21 but both have had mention of fitting and rubbing issues as well as troubles balancing. Can anyone speak to this? How about the TKC 80. Anyone tried these yet? I could'nt find anything on the WR's about these. They sound like a good fit and the lower profile would help not raise the bike to much.

Thanks in advance for any replies. Looking forward to many miles on this little Yamaha!

Cheers,
    Jon
  8. vnp514

vnp514 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This about right?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

About 300 miles on(left over 2012 WRR)-stock chain and gears. I'm still braking it in and putting a few farkles on it:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This scoot is geared a bit high-still figuring out a decent sprocket/chain set up. I think I'm going to have a good time with it!

Pete
  9. theMISSIONARY

theMISSIONARY hunting and riding!!

Oddometer:
    you dont see many American bikes with the mighty B&B :deal:D
  10. Wreckchecker

Wreckchecker Ungeneer to broked stuff. Supporter

Oddometer:
    When was the last your XT1200 had a throttle body sync?
  11. Wreckchecker

Wreckchecker Ungeneer to broked stuff. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I took my lady to a Bed & Breakfast just a couple of months ago!
    :lol3
  12. theMISSIONARY

theMISSIONARY hunting and riding!!

Oddometer:
    :rofl quiet night out then :deal
  13. gatitaBonita

gatitaBonita Right meow.

Oddometer:
    I just wanted to do an official de-lurk and say hello. I just got myself a WR250R and I feel a little weird to say that it is the first bike I've ever owned. I am a total noob but really looking forward to shedding that moniker this summer.

So far, all changes to the bike have been attempts to lower it for my tiny size. I'm a girl and on the short-side, so the 36" height was too much. With a few adjustments, getting the suspension done, and having about an inch and a half of foam taken out of the seat means I can finally get the balls of both feet on the ground.

I have hand guards on the way and still need to pick up a skid plate... and so many other little things I'd like to improve... but I'm itching to just get out and ride.

Any advice for the complete newbie is always welcome. Just wanted to finally drop in and say hi.
  14. ER70S-2

ER70S-2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi, welcome to the site. :wave
    Jump over to your profile and fill in your location: state or country. Or you'll get asked over and over where you are, in relation to a question. :beer

Learn how to use your front brake, it's the most important control on the bike, on road and off. Learn slowly, don't just grab the dang thing.

I'm test riding a new WRR Tuesday, and unless it's completely awful, it will get loaded in the truck. :clap

Remember, when riding, your safety depends on YOU.

Go here and read this, it's long, but read it anyway, over a day or two. Read for comprehension, don't just skim over it: there will be a test. :deal :D

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=563090
  15. raptortrail

raptortrail Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That is awesome,more women should ride.Just have fun and ride at your own pace.You need some practice which means ride,ride,ride. I will say that you do not do anything/go anywhere that makes you uncomfortable.
  16. gatitaBonita

gatitaBonita Right meow.

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the tips guys, profile updated and advice noted! Will head over to the suggested thread and get reading.
  17. ER70S-2

ER70S-2 Long timer

Oddometer:
  18. advmgm

advmgm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey welcome to the fold and have fun!
    Advice? Yes here you go -
    1) control your speed
    2) look ahead and pick your drive line before you get there.
    3) bad things await over hills and in the shadows

Sent from The Edge on a WR250r
  19. crunchiespg

crunchiespg Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm just outside Calgary. If you want to check out some of the stuff I've done to my wr250r you're welcome to.
  20. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer: