FNG here...

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by dankwood, Dec 10, 2007.

1. dankwood

dankwood bloater

Oddometer:
    Sorry in advance for the "which bike" thread, but...

Especially for a first post.

I figured there'd be some good experience here to help me through my struggle.

Bottom line is that I've been really missing the trail riding I used to do on my old YZ450. I had taken a perfectly good mx'er and built her into the ultimate woods bike. I used to ride technical Willamette Valley trails (wet/dry, rocks, roots, ledges, mud, dust, etc.). Then I switched to street riding and could only afford one bike. The YZ went to a good home....

I've been able to afford a second bike for about a year now and have done my homework. There are however sticking points and I'm looking for feedback which will hopefully break the deadlock.

A little background: I'm 30, 6ft. tall and about 260 w/o gear. Not fat, just a big guy. I'm an avid mtn. biker (mostly freeride) so I'm fairly athletic. I'll be riding to where I ride in addition to a great deal of fire road and otherwise bad forest road riding. Singletrack too. I'll be hunting wicked hillclimbs as much as exploring the coast range and cascades w/ camping gear. Although it's not likely anytime soon I hope to one day begin an annual tradition of a 4-5k mi. self-supported on/off road trips. Though, I do have a 4200 mi. trip planned for August on my SV1k in '08-the first year? I hope so.

I've narrowed the field to a few bikes all with what I perceive to be advantages and disadvantages. They are not in the same class. But I find myself making up my mind and then changing it a week later. That's the reason I've not bought something yet and it's making me effing crazy!

DR650: cheap, reliable, great aftermarket, can get one out the door with all the farkles I want for about $7500 (big tank, bash guard, barkbusters, heavy springs, better rubber and more).

The DR doesn't seem to be as well suited to the long range stuff I have in mind though?...I know guys do it, but I don't want to suffer. Not too much anyways.

Keep in mind that I can't afford to get something I'll need to sell/trade in a year or two.

Husky TE610: basically the same class as the DR except more $$, is it really worth an extra 3500? Granted it's got better stock suspension, stock handlebars and a few other bits. It's just a lot of cheese considering I'd only be a few grand away from the f800gs I'm also really liking.

At Bill's motorcycle in Salem they also have a super trick SM610 set up for off-roading which I find peculiar and very enticing. Thoughts?

BMW F800GS: double the price of the DR, farkles will cost a lot more but the bike definately satisfies my future long-range needs. My hangup is that I don't know how PNW trail worthy it is. What's the perceived trail worthiness amongst you people? Anyone own one? Being honest with myself, if I felt that the beemer would suit my trail riding tastes it's the way I'd go despite the cost. It certainly weighs more but then again, so do I.

Bikes I've ruled out for various reasons:
    Honda (not keen on our local dealership)
    KLR (meets a lot of my needs, but I'm just not into it.)
    KTM 530 exc (good bike but for the dough I'd rather have the Husky)
    1200gs (way too much money and too heavy)
    BMW singles

I'm liking the DR & TE because they're closer to my yz but in a streetable package. The GS is the bike I've lusted after ever since the 'net rumors began to fly. Then I saw the pics and was in love. If I went DR/TE route I'd be spending money to GS'ify them. But I anticipate improved off-road manners with those bikes vs. the 800gs. And, if I were to find a good deal on used DR or TE I'd be all over it like flies on shit, not going to happen with 800 (at least not in the period of time I'm willing to wait). The dark horse is seriously modding a vstrom 650.

I don't know. Tomorrow I'll probably want a track bike. I know I'm not the first to have been in this situation so thanks in advance for your opinions.
  2. HalfFastMoto

HalfFastMoto bRad

Oddometer:
  3. MortimerSickle

MortimerSickle Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rainville, Orygun, where moss is a road hazard.
    I think it is. Two other important features it has over the DR are, more power (53hp, I think) and a sixth gear. The extra gear is a very big advantage IMHO.

I had just about decided on the TE610, when I found a good deal on a KTM950. I had been infatuated with the KTM for a couple of years, so I couldn't resist. Time will tell whether my decision was sound.
  4. oldhuskyrider

oldhuskyrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Honda (not keen on our local dealership)

You should talk to the guys at Taylors in Woodburn before you discount Honda.

I would also buy a good used bike in the 2 to 3k range (market is way in your favor) and just get out there. Spend the the big bucks when you have better feel for exactly what kind of riding you'll be doing.

Just sayin.
  5. wachs

wachs just passin' through

Oddometer:

Good advice especially if there's a budget. You can force that BMW to do some amazing things (and the KTM 950 too) but if you're looking for something even close to that old Yamaha you mentioned, the Husky or 530 will stoke you beyond belief and yes, you can still take those week long trips on one - assuming you stay on the dirt as much as possible.

Good luck with it!
  6. Mud nut

Mud nut n00b

Oddometer:
    The way I see it. You have to ride the pavement to get to the dirt. I plan on riding about 50-50 pavement to dirt. That said, every dual sport will be a compromise. "For me" the 1200GS would be great on the asphalt but I would have a hard time with it on the dirt.(I'm not a big guy) The 650s would be great on the dirt but I don't like being blown around by semi's on the freeway. I think the F800 will work for me. I'll let you know in three months.

Ed
  7. dankwood

dankwood bloater

Oddometer:
    The beemer with farkles is at the top-end of my budget, I guess for that kind of dough I can build a sweet TE or DR and still have money left over for tires, beer and gas. And GS'ifying.

A year ago when I started getting the itch my initial line of thinking was to replicate the yz, but street legal with a bit more oomph. As I began my due diligence (lotsa info gleened from this site) I began considering things such as streetability and capacity. At the same time 800gs rumors became the 'shiny metal object' that kept me from pulling the trigger.

The used market is definately in my favor. I've found a handful of good deals but nothing that made me wet my pants. Also, my mechanic abilities are good but I fear overlooking a major problem and ending up with a headache, which I suppose is easily resolved by going to a professional to doublecheck everything.

I'm thinking the best option is to split the difference, get the TE and get it setup then start shredding. Okay, I'm psyched now. TE 610 it is!

I'll get back here soon with some pics. Mrs. Dankwood said I have to update my disability insurance first so I'll do that tomorrow (easy enough as I sold the policy to myself!).
  8. DireWolf

DireWolf Knees in the Breeze

Oddometer:
    I happen to know where a marvelous 2002 KTM 640 Adventure is located...... :1drink

Welcome ya'll.

Plenty of beast threads and thumper threads in the "Bikes" subforums - any bike compared to any other bike you could think of..... needless to say, 98% of the replies are a thesis on why the poster has the best bike in the whole wide world, but there can be good stuff as well. Now let me tell you why the 2002 KTM 640 Adventure is such a superior DS rig....... :lol3
  9. wachs

wachs just passin' through

Oddometer:

Excellent choice! One of my riding buddies bought one of those last year and is doing everything on it quite comfortably.
    Check it out:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169640&highlight=wachs