Excel front rim size for 950 Adventure?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Tigly, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Tigly

Tigly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi guys,

I am looking to replace the stock front rim with an Excel one.
    Anyone has any suggestions on the best size? 1.6 or 1.8?
    I am planning for a long off-road (that's why I want narrower than stock)and I will be using Continental TKC 80.

Thanks
    tigly
  2. cjracer

cjracer AWD please!!

Oddometer:
    Hi Tigly,

I've been running an Excel 1.6" rim now for the last 80,000 miles. Very happy with overall dual sport performance from Freeway to single track. It's held up great and stayed true through more stuff than I ever thought.

I normally run a TKC 80 on the front for 75% of the Dual sport trips I take. 8-10hr rides non stop on the freeway to 50 miles of single track through the woods. It's not a great tire in the mud, but overall it works well. If I'm looking for more dirt traction in the front I move up to the 606 Dunlop.

Good luck and safe travels,
    craig
  3. Lc8grrr

Lc8grrr Vtwin madness

Oddometer:
    +1 for 1.6 Excel works for me.
  4. Tigly

Tigly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Many thanks guys!
  5. cjracer

cjracer AWD please!!

Oddometer:
    BTW, You will need a new spoke set for this rim and OEM hub combo, Buchanan's makes a custom HD stainless set, that's what we use and stock at my shop for these custom build, top quality. http://www.buchananspokes.net/
  6. kaia

kaia team F5 ⌘R

Oddometer:
    many inmates here in orange crush (myself included) have also had great luck (and swear by his outstanding service) with woody's wheel works replacing their wheels for them, upgrading the front to the 21"x1.6" Excel A90 Takasago rim, and superlacing the spokes. (and the rear to the same rim, but 18"x2.5")

here's a link to my post in woody's wheel works thread over in vendors. you can also check out his own site, with pricing.

good luck!
  7. Tigly

Tigly Adventurer

Oddometer:

Hmmm, didn't know about that :-(
    The 1.6 rim does not work with the stock hub and spokes? How about the 1.8?
  8. BigNastybrp

BigNastybrp Big Nasty

Oddometer:
    woody wheels said it will 3x2 lace:deal waiting on it to get here
  9. Tigly

Tigly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry, didn't get that ...
    Anyway, Woody's won't do. I live in Moscow, Russia, so delivery is pretty much out of the question.
    I can obviously get the full spec Powerparts Excel wheel from KTM, but I don't want it. I just want a narrower rim. And to keep the stock spokes and hub. And be sorry in a year or two that I didn't change it all :-))
  10. Qwik

Qwik Adrenaline Addict Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm willing to bet Woody's could ship it to ya
  11. cjracer

cjracer AWD please!!

Oddometer:
    I didn't know it would work with OEM spokes. Can you confirm your OEM spokes were used?

We have done x3 x2 spoke pattern also, but custom spokes are need to mate up the Euro pattern hub with the Japanese pattern MX rim on every set we've built.

With these parts any rim building shop could do it locally. If you need help with shipping to Moscow, email me for more details.
  12. Sporting Wood

Sporting Wood I

Oddometer:
    The best possible deal is to use the DID 1.8 that was especially developed for the KTM 950 Superenduro. :deal

Here ya go, $179. This is the only rim that will lace up correctly and use stock spokes.

http://www.radmfg.com/DID-Original-D...ido-21x185.htm

Edit* link seems to be dead now. Rad Mfg were carrying the euro patterned 21" but now its off their site, though the SE rear is still on there. Might be worth a call because its considerably less $ than ordering a SE front hoop from KTM...even with a 25% discount...don't ask me how I know.

As CJ notes above, there is only two ways to swap rims on the KTM ADV with the stock hub. 1st and best option IMHO is what I describe above. The only other way is to convert to a Japanese index through the use of 'special' spokes that lace x2x3. This gives the option of using any 21" Japanese indexed rim which is nice...though I personally have issue with lacing it in such a way that impacts and deflections would always push sideways toward the weaker side...though that's sort of more an engineering issue that may look better on paper than in real life, where it may not matter at all.

Also in response to Tigly above , the KTM power part front wheel would not work because its made for the thumpers. Different axle, different width, different brake, different offset, etc... they're in absolutely no way compatible. Good luck
  13. BigNastybrp

BigNastybrp Big Nasty

Oddometer:
    No I can not. I miss read the op about the spokes. Sorry
  14. Careca

Careca Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I need help, i got one excel rim 1.60 and i want to put it on my 950adv. I read somewhere that we only have to change one side of the spokes? Witch side and what legth? The original spokes really don,t fit? :cry
  15. cjracer

cjracer AWD please!!

Oddometer:
    We have custom Spoke kits available if you need them with no waiting. Same parts that are on my bikes and have been lasting for many years. Lace up with no issues. I replace both sides and nipples as a HD Stainless set.
  16. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I forgot. Is the 1.6 compatible with the Tubliss setup?
  17. brents347

brents347 Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer:
    Yes it is. I have run it for a long time.

Brent
  18. GettinDirty83

GettinDirty83 Dirt Trail Hero

Oddometer:
    It's looking more and more like I'm going to have to but a Japanese pattern rim and lace it to my European hub. What exactly do I need spoke-wise to make that happen? Is there a kit or link where I can buy what I need to do that?
  19. DistortedAxis

DistortedAxis GO

Oddometer:

Call woody's and order a rim that they have drilled for your bike! (THAT WILL FIT 100%)
    They can supply you with
    - DID Dirt Star or
    - Excel Takasago
    - Excel A60
    ( I recommend the A60 for the front!)

They can also supply you with the spokes as well.

Take a couple photos of the old wheel / rim / hub configuration, email them and they will tell you exactly what you need. Response time is usually 48 hours. But with the holiday approaching it may be longer.

OR send a PM to @woody's wheel works

Or Contact them via his open thread HERE
    http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/ask-woody-about-your-wheels.145899/
    GettinDirty83 likes this.