Running the Varadero...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by rob1313, Jun 6, 2011.

1. rob1313

rob1313 Still learning

Oddometer:
    I was going to call this thread burning the new off of a Vardero but the bike is quickly approaching 13,000 kilometers. Did I mention I bought it in September and it spent 6 months locked away in the garage? I didn't buy this thing to baby it.

I wasn't going to do a ride report, I've found that lately my writing seems to be lacking something that my previous efforts had but I had a good day yesterday and I wanted to share with you FF's.

Day 1,

Finished work at about 2, on the road by 3pm. Pouring rain. Figures right? I just bought new gear with a rain liner and I'm happy with it. Work was also kind enough to provide me with thermal under clothes froma company called Dragons Fur. I'm impressed. No heated gear for me yet. It's on my mind, just not in my budget these days. It's hard enough keeping this bike in tires. :evil
    Here is a shot outside the house as I left for Calgary.

[​IMG]

Yes, I park on the sidewalk. It's that kind of house. :D We are riders here, through and through. No cars in this garage. I made the trip to C-town in pretty good time and then proceded to get totally lost trying to find Dans new place. Thanks for the lesson on my GPS buddy... you can change gps settings, who knew?! :bluduh

Had a good night of cathching up with Dan and his lady, Kay. Made fresh pizza and just wasted away a night talking bikes, people we know and relishing in the fact that life is just damn good. Good people buddy, good people make it that much better.

[​IMG]

Day 2 found me route planning and trying to avaoid going out in the rain. It seems mother nature wanted to give me one last taste of Alberta weather before I left. I knew I was trying for Nelson that night so I finally relented and said I'd better hit the road. Dan rode with me as far as the Banff park gate. I don't have a picture of that morning but I will say that you could see the exhaust pouring out of the triple pipes of Dan's 1050. It was fun chasing you through some of the twisties buddy. It's damn near art when two bikes are leaned over in a corner, a bike length and a half apart. Trust, and a hell of a lot of fun.

For those of you that don't know BC has this nice new law, get busted at over 40K over the speed limit and give up your wheels for a week. I wasn't doing the 40 over but it was close.

[​IMG]

Now, a couple things happened with this traffic stop. One I got a ticket, that in itself is rare. it's been years. Not that I don't deserve them I'm just usually very lucky. My luck still held, just in different ways. Shortly after this officer pulled me over he was backed up by a marker RCMP cruiser. The officer in that car was a very nice young lady. I was friendly, as I always am with cops, perhaps I flirted just a tad. I knew I was getting a ticket what did it matter? The officer writing the ticket was good enough to greatly reduce the fine for me. Onward....
  2. rob1313

rob1313 Still learning

Oddometer:
    Dan had suggested the Grey Creek Pass as an alternate to slabbing it the whole way to Nelson. Not that the slab in BC is bad, but I'm always up for some foolish fun. Besides I've got a spot if things go really sideways, and I know more than one friend with a truck that would get a kick out of it if I needed to be bailed out of a tight spot. How else do we create memories? :freaky

I found the turn off for the pass with some decent directions from a oung lady at the Shell station. She was appauled that I'd even try it with my bike. Guess she didn't share my outlook on things. :rofl

At first the road is just a little broken pavement and then gravel, and then you pass a sign that says it's the end of the maintained public road, it goes downhill from there. Still easy work in the 'dero. I passed a couple cars and snapped a few shots for those of you thinking about it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

About 30 K up the road I came to this sign....
    [​IMG]

That scrap of paper stuck to the sign is a note someone left to say that another 8 k up the road is impassable due to an avalance. Damn. Oh well, a little backtracking in order for me. Of course I did it at an increased pace. The bike is currently running Pirelli Scorpion Trails. I'm pleased with them. Great on the pavement, good enough in the gravel that I can drift the rear just a little. Or maybe that's just me......:deal

Got myself safely into Nelson and checked in to the Dancing Bear Hostel for the night. Caught up on some text messages, made dinner and called it an early night. The morning holds a lot of promise.
  3. rob1313

rob1313 Still learning

Oddometer:
    Leaving Nelson this morning. I don't know what it is, but that feeling is back. The air is cool, the roads are twisty, the scenery is beautiful and I know no matter where I am there are people who care about me. bliss. possibility. hope.

[​IMG]

Even when it's not a bridge any more I love it. I think this one is more about how even the strongest things that a man can build mother nature will reclaim, all she needs is time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The smell of fresh cut timber takes me back 15 years. Damn, has it been that long already? Where is the time going..... I used to work in one of these places. In my hometown this was a good job. Union security, good wages, not much education required. Not so much these days. The forest industry has taken a beating the last 5 or so years. My Dad still works in the same mill he started at when he learned I was on my way in to the world. More years supporting his family than I can even emember.

[​IMG]

This picture cost me a couple gouges on the right hand guard. It's ok, now it matches the left one that got a little abuse last week. Can't take it, can't stay. :D This isn't the first time that ths bike has been on the sidewalk either. It was just a little tighter than usual to get it up there.

[​IMG]

There is beauty in places one might consider barren. It clings, hopes and grows, taking chances where most of us wouldn't even consider trying.

[​IMG]

Alright, back to my regular hooligan ways.....
    I thought this was cool. The mountain biker on the otherside got a kick out of watching me ride through the ditch for this shot.

[​IMG]

From the random bike related stuff file.

[​IMG]

And lastly, this morning. I woke up in Vancouver. Here is a shot of my 'dero out front of my hosts apartment. I can barely see her through the green. I love it. Screw you Alberta, I'll see ya when I see ya. I'm still in the start of this ride. I'll try to update a bit more in a day or so, I've got some people to catch up with while I'm here.

[​IMG]
  4. zandesiro

zandesiro In rust we trust....

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  5. Grainbelt

Grainbelt marginal adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice riding, Rob. I miss BC. We have some good riding in the bluffs on either side of the Mississippi but nothing like the Kootenays.

I have vague memories of that tunnel as well.
  6. SirWrecksAlot

SirWrecksAlot Slowventurer

Oddometer:
    Good stuff Rob! :clap
  7. Cowgirl

Cowgirl I'll ride anything.

Oddometer:
    Yay Rob! :clap I hope we get to meet this ride.
  8. sas

sas Thumper Girl

Oddometer:
    Glad you decided to write!

What a good start.
  9. FemmeFatale

FemmeFatale Perpetual Motion

Oddometer:
    Great pics and hope the rest of the adventure goes well!! With you in spirit!:webers
  10. olygirl

olygirl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very nice!
    No more tickets though!

Safe travels and keep the pictures coming.
  11. rat734

rat734 Michael 3 Lives

Oddometer:
    "I know no matter where I am there are people who care about me. bliss. possibility. hope"

This is epic

Ride on Big Little Brother

:clap
  12. rob1313

rob1313 Still learning

Oddometer:
    Another day of chilling here on the coast to catch up with some old fiends and then it's over to the island to ride some more roads. I promise more good pics.
  13. MaddBrit

MaddBrit meh

Oddometer:
    Very nice, Rob!

:thumb

Ok... soooo where are the rest of the pics?

:ddog

:lol3

:hide
  14. SheRidesABeemer

SheRidesABeemer Go Big or Go Home.

Oddometer:
    I didn't read many of the words, but I like the pictures. :D
  15. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    If your Vanisle riding plans put you towards the top end of the Island give me a heads up and I'll join you for ride/coffee ... Does the Varadero like gravel?

David..
  16. rob1313

rob1313 Still learning

Oddometer:
    The Varadero likes gravel, not as much as my SE but she holds her own just fine. I'll be in touch if I get to that area. I hope to cross over tomorrow morning sometime
  17. Cowgirl

Cowgirl I'll ride anything.

Oddometer:
    Hey Rob :wave
    It was great to meet you! :smooch
  18. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    I had coffee with him in Courtenay and then watched him head off into the clouds towards Tahsis...Hopefully he didn't see too much rain...
  19. MrKiwi

MrKiwi Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice dero, ride well and keep having fun :D
  20. mtn girl

mtn girl Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Lovin' the RR Rob.....Looking forward to reading the rest of your adventures.
    Take care, stay safe, ride hard.
    :wave