Review of Soft luggage Enduristan Panniers

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by adventure950, Jun 28, 2011.

1. adventure950

adventure950 Anglo-Saxon

Oddometer:
    I have used both soft and hard luggage on my various travel bikes over the years. However time and experience have pushed me more towards soft luggage but have always found quality or storage issues with many of the systems available. I even dabelled with making my own luggage system to overcome all the requirements I had - but the reality of the competition in the market place along with costs and production became overwhelming and that slid into the dark recesses of the past.
    I however have found a very good set of panniers for the job. Imported and supplied by Zen Overland in the UK - These are the Swiss designed Enduristan monsoon (as the name suggests 100% waterproof).

They are similar in some ways to the more basic Ortlieb bags but are far better quality, finish and fit with some interesting and inventive features. The Bags have a roll top allowing the volume to adjust between 15 and 30 lts per side, the bags are double skinned with a strong cordura exterior and an waterproof pvc type liner, in between the two is a semi hard shell (removable giving the bags a strong protective shell and shape).

On the bag back is a semi hard padded rubbing area to prevent wear. When rolled shut the bags have three securing straps with excellent buckles along with a number of tie on points for fixing roll bags tents etc to the top along with carry handles making them easy to move off the bike.. - excellent stuff.

Internally the bags have an easy clean interior which has fold away compartment dividers, making it easy to separate your luggage internally into three compartments without additional bags, when folded out the way these allow full use of the internal space.

The bags can be adjusted and fitted wherever you like them - well forward or way back easily and when fitted are very secure and do not move or flap about nor do they stick out like a huge pair of suitcases causing wind sapping drag and wallow nor do they make the bike massively wider so sides of cars or bushes along the way are no longer a major problem along with the huge weight saving - these bags weigh about 3 kgs total).

The securing straps system consists of two over the saddle straps with velcro - more about that later and then lower front and mid rear tension strap to hold everything secure - this is clever as the strap carries right through the rear part of the bag from the front lower where it come out the back so all the tension on the strap (which happens to be elasticated rock strap)is transfered not to the bag where it could rip but to the bike attachment points at rear behind seat or rack and front around maybe footpegs.

The straps are very easy to fit and undo when wet or with cold hands. Once fitted the bags are very secure. The seat straps were the only area of complaint I had - they were to long for my bike and had to be cut down to fit (this meant re stitching the velcro) Also the straps are attached one to each bag then fit the other bag through a buckle of very good quality.

I would have preferred separate straps altogether which would have made them easier to adjust to length and should it be required much easier to replace. I spoke to Enduristan directly about this - they were very open to this point and are in fact are considering the feature of separate straps and two buckles per bag in the future design. However they said the design was to allow quick and easy tensioning and fit of the bags while on the bike and once you get used to the method they suggest it works really well.

All in all knowing what is involved in making luggage and having tried these Bags I would rate then very highly in the soft luggage world. Away from custom built products made exactly to your own requirements (expensive) means at only £215 you get a fantastic pannier system with excellent Build quality and features along with usability I give them 10 out of 10.
  2. Benjava

Benjava ?

Oddometer:
    I know for a fact that those Zen Overlanders have spared no hardship to travel the world looking for the very best of everything to supply us with.
    :deal

:lol3 Hey Baron you coming over here I hear :ear
  3. fluff34567

fluff34567 Long timer

Oddometer:

if you space out your review it would be easier to read. At the moment it is very hard.
    FangitAshmo likes this.
  4. GeckoRider

GeckoRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oakland, CA, USA, Thrid Rock from the Star Sol
    I have been looking at these bags but was not able to find any reviews. Very glad you posted this. I think these will be one of my next moto buys.
  5. MotoBoss

MotoBoss Go Ahead

Oddometer:
  6. OlivierS

OlivierS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am planning to buy these monsoons, there is one worry though. I don't have a luggage rack, and I would rather not get one. So that means that the bags would be pressed against the plastic of my 990 and to a part of the exhaust.

Did you have any problems with that on the 950? I emailed enduristan, with that question, referring to the giant loop producs that include a heat shield. And they said it might be advisable to put a heat shield in between. But enduristan does not make them, so I would have to order a GL, or make one myself.

I have a stock exhaust.

If I would need a luggage rack I would rather get the Magadans.
  7. lilolita

lilolita fahr mit mir

Oddometer:
    OlivierS, I have the Monsoons and would not use them without a rack or some way to keep them off the plastic. There's just too much chance of them touching the exhaust.
  8. RideWhatICan

RideWhatICan n00b

Oddometer:
    Any idea if the Monsoons will fit will over the SW Motech Quik Lock rack on my 1190?
  9. Wadz up

Wadz up Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Two thumbs up from me on their panniers Blizzards plus all there gear. I have 9 pieces of Enduristan so I"m all in. Wolfman is a mint so this is a nice alternative.