Sluggish '05 R1200 GS

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Aberdeen, Jul 23, 2013.

1. Aberdeen

Aberdeen Gypsy Rider

Oddometer:
    Greetings!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    It&#8217;s been a while since I&#8217;ve posted, so please bear with me.
    <o:p></o:p>
    I have a &#8217;05 R1200 GS with 60K on the clock and have recently noticed it having more vibration and noise than usual, and it has been more sluggish on the acceleration. It is smoother when I ease up on the throttle, and the vibration is also decreased as well. I say &#8220;more than usual&#8221; on the vibration and noise because I&#8217;ve ridden this machine since it came off the showroom floor and have been aware of all of the personality of this machine. I&#8217;ve also been riding many years, and I don&#8217;t &#8220;death-grip&#8221; the machine&#8230;therefore I doubt my riding technique is a factor.
    I do some of the wrenching on it&#8230;the simple stuff like valve clearances, fluid changes, alternator belts, tire changes, etc. But I&#8217;m wondering if there is something else going on.
    Personal theory&#8230;I wonder if it is the cam chain tensioners and/or timing. I&#8217;d also thought it may be dirty injectors or something having to do with fuel delivery.
    I would like to get your feedback/input/ $.02 as I&#8217;m sure someone else has addressed it with their machine. I miss the &#8220;whoosh&#8221; factor this bike had, and I would really like to get it back. :cry
    I&#8217;m all ears, guys!! :ear<o:p></o:p>
  2. Penfold99

Penfold99 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would start by replacing the spark plugs...Not only because it may need them, but by looking at the plugs, you may find evidence of another issue, like lean, or rich running, etc.

Dave
    Atlanta
    2005 R1200GS
  3. Aberdeen

Aberdeen Gypsy Rider

Oddometer:
    I forgot to mention the last time I looked at the plugs, they seemed to be in good shape, (light tan on the primary, little darker on the secondary). I probably should replace them anyway, as they've been in there awhile.

Thanks for the input!!

Any other ideas anyone?
  4. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    I assume you have done a TB sync, and have also adjusted the rockerarm endplay? The endplay can make a significant amount of noise. Further, you may have a failing stick coil.

Jim :brow
  5. Aberdeen

Aberdeen Gypsy Rider

Oddometer:
    Thanks JVB! I'll check on that. I haven't done endplay in awhile...
  6. John Smallberries

John Smallberries Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks to the JVB DVD, I've my own maintenance on my '05 GS for the last 3 years - 30k miles. The one thing I neglected was the throttle-body sync.

Recently (~40k miles) I noticed that the bike didn't run as smoothly as before. While at my local dealership for a new front tire - I asked them to do the throttle body sync. For $95 they did the job in short order and the bike is now noticeably smoother and does seem happier to rev.

Time to pony-up for the TwinMax - I found several on eBay for $99.
  7. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    Check the Flea Market here. Often under $50.

Jim :brow