Norra 2013

Discussion in 'Racing' started by Strong Bad, Oct 7, 2012.

1. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    something about sandy crack?
  2. crankshaft

crankshaft Guns are for pussies

Oddometer:
    Well, She is pretty close to the ground at 5'-2":lol3 I lose Her in the grocery store all the time.
  3. GalacticGS

GalacticGS Motorcyclist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Question for those who have done this before...

I'll be a first-timer in 2013. How many chase trucks do you plan for? If more than one, do you plan a Northern crew and a Southern crew? I'm assuming the chase crews assist with the daily maintenance at the end of each day (oil changes, tire/wheel changes, air filters, etc.). Any other typical duties?

Thanks!
  4. beechum1

Oddometer:
    one will be fine with sufficient chase route and timing scheduling and planning. I chased for two 950's last year and simply because I didn't know what I didn't know about roads and times and routes, I missed them at a few pits. BUT, they used MAG 7 for fuel, so I was just a bonus pit if I could keep up.... which I couldn't, despite my best efforts...:deal
  5. crankshaft

Oddometer:
    You did good, even though you had two guys to help but leaving an hour earlier might have worked better I think. I'm guessing that we didn't need you in the morning before the start?
  6. Baja Dad

Baja Dad Long timer

Oddometer:

The Mad man driving the Honda mini van !!

One suport truck can do it !!!!
  7. beechum1

Oddometer:
    It prefers to be called a truck.:rofl
  8. Cornbread82

Cornbread82 Sir Crash A Lot!

Oddometer:
    Talked to the wife about it and it looks as if I am in on this one too!! :clap
  9. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    Email: info@norra.com FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    Tel: 661-262-7171
    Web: www.norra.com
    NORRA ANNOUNCES 2013 MEXICAN 1000 RALLY DATES
    -- General Tire and NORRA Also Create Popular Display at Lucas Oil Off-Road Expo --

OCTOBER 10, 2012: With just under 200 days left before the drop of the green flag for the 2013 running of the General Tire NORRA Mexican 1000, the sanctioning body confirmed its official dates for next year’s event – April 27-May 1, 2013 – at this weekend’s huge Lucas Oil Off-Road Expo in Pomona, Calif.

Following a format instituted by the National Off Road Racing Association (NORRA) in 2012 and endorsed by nearly all of this year’s racers, chase crews and event VIPs, once again the vintage-flavored Baja rally will start on Saturday, April 27 with a unique Race Vehicle Show and Tech Inspection at the historic bull ring in Mexicali, Baja, Mexico. The 1,200 mile trek to the rally’s finish line will begin on Sunday, April 28th as competitors enjoy a scenic run to the first overnight stop at Bahia de Los Angeles. On Monday, April 29th the longest day of the event takes place from Bahia de Los Angeles to Loreto. The challenging Day 3 will take place on Tuesday, April 30th from Loreto to the seaside town of La Paz. And like last year, Day 4 will consist of a fun run from La Paz to San Jose del Cabo on May 1st with a seaside Land’s End Party and Driver’s Awards Presentation taking place that evening.

In keeping with a newly created NORRA tradition, registration will officially open for next year’s four-day rally on New Years Day, January 1, beginning at noon, (PST). NORRA is expected to release additional rally information, formatting and rules over the course of the coming weeks in preparation for opening event registration. A field of more than 150 entries are expected for the 2013 Mexican 1000 rally, a 50-percent increase over this year’s off and-on road stage rally.

The announcement was made at the Lucas Oil Off Road Expo in Pomona, Calif. With the largest off-road industry show in America as its backdrop, the massive General Tire booth was the location for a highly popular display of NORRA Mexican 1000 vehicles and booth for event information. One of the most successful Off-Road Expos in history, the 12th annual event attracted a reported crowd of 60,000 fans and more than 300 exhibitors over its two-day run.

In addition to revealing the dates, NORRA President Mike Pearlman also took the occasion to personally deliver the organization’s unique thank-you plaques to its family of event sponsors including Jim Riley (Azunia Tequila), Chris Anderson, at left (American Racing Wheel) and Michael DeHaas (KC Hilites).

Known as “The Happiest Race on Earth”, the Mexican 1000 has gained a reputation for bringing fun and a shared sense of adventure back to Baja off-road racing. The one-of-a-kind, once-a-year rally spotlights vintage off-road vehicles, motorcycles and ATVs, as well as rally cars, a limited number of modern desert racecars, and classes for prerunner-type trucks and buggies. The four-day, on and off-road rally offers teams high-speed off-road driving with unparalleled views of Mexico’s scenic Baja peninsula, as well as offering new levels of the hospitality and social camaraderie that is the heart of the General Tire Mexican 1000 experience.

http://www.norra.com/PDFs/NORRA_Press_Release_2012_10_10.pdf

Now... what to ride....
  10. oregoncoast

oregoncoast Smells like Bacon

Oddometer:
    Funny how just reading the press release gets me so freaking excited!!

This year, OC wife is also going :freaky Can't wait for this! Vacation time going in tomorrow, Cabo Azul reservation probably happening the same time!
  11. toro618

toro618 Long timer

Oddometer:
    How many total days do most of you end up spending for this race? How many days would you guys recommend for a first timer...specially the number of days before the race? I am a total noob and thinking of entering this race.

Thanks in advance
  12. beechum1

Oddometer:
    what do you mean by "spending" in prep, or travel, or setup when we get there? or .....
  13. Baja Dad

Baja Dad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are you Driving back north? or Flying back? 8-10 days
    I would get in to town the afternoon of the 25th and stay in Cabo an extra few days and Relax thru Friday
    (Driving then you have two day to drive back north to the states )
    (Flying back north Stay until Sunday do a little fishing and relax)
  14. crankshaft

Oddometer:
    Baja wives social club:lol3
  15. crankshaft

Oddometer:
    What BAJA Dad said, we left the morning after the race but would have liked to stay an extra day in Cabo to look around. I traveled from VT, so as you can imagine it was a long drive round trip. As I recall, I was gone for 2 weeks and we didn't stop much.
  16. Baja Dad

Baja Dad Long timer

Oddometer:

Our wifes are flying into Loreto on Sunday the 28th to R&R until we ride in the afternoon of the 29th.
    Then they will jump in the support trucks to La Paz then on into CABO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:freaky
  17. toro618

toro618 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. So excluding travel days, it sounds like 3 days pre-race setup time is adequate?
  18. Anders Green

Anders Green NASA Rally Sport

Oddometer:
    The guy who came in second on a bike last year (Mike Gilkey) spent half a day down there in advance. And no, he wasn't some guy who had run in Mexico a zillion times before... it was his first time racing in Mexico. He got there in the dark the day before registration and tech opened. Woke up, went out to the desert for a couple hours to see what it was like, came back, did tech / reg / contingency, went to bed, woke up, and went racing.

I can't say that's the best plan for everyone, but I can say that it won't change at all how much prize money you'll win. :lol3 That's how I would do it if I was entering.

Anders
  19. Anders Green

Anders Green NASA Rally Sport

Oddometer:
    I'd watch that show: "The Real Racer Wives of Baja" :lol3
  20. Baja Dad

Baja Dad Long timer

Oddometer:

Cross over Early Friday the 26th
    FRIDAY to unload and scout out the area test ride the bike a little
    Tech Inspection is on Saturday the 27th at the Bull Ring
    The Rally starts on Sunday the 28th at the Bull Ring with a Transfer stage to the top of the Dry lake bed.

[I can't say that's the best plan for everyone, but I can say that it won't change at all how much prize money you'll win. :lol3 That's how I would do it if I was entering.

Anders[/QUOTE]

SO TRUE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!