(friends) BMW R80GS 1989

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by maxpowers410, Jul 4, 2014.

1. Skyshadow

Skyshadow Banned

Oddometer:
    well...yes and no, see the talk about vents above.

Dirt is bad, if there is oil seeping out best to figure out why. Probably a minor fix that can get bad if not addressed.
  2. AntonLargiader

AntonLargiader Long timer

Oddometer:
    There's just a lot of age-related leaking.

The hardest one will be the swingarm boot. The problem could be a delaminated seal at the gearbox output but hopefully it's just a missing sealant plug in the triangular notch. Regardless, there should not be oil there to leak out. The speedo cable boot needs replacing, too.

Oil under the bike could be from the neutral switch or something else. The shifter seal is dead simple to replace; just lean the bike to the right so the gear oil doesn't flow out.

The breather hose is probably leaking and sure, the top end and oil pan could stand resealing also. It's an old bike with the expected leaks. They can all be fixed; you can make that bike stay bone-dry.
  3. Bill Harris

Bill Harris Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer:

"Me too". The "sticky red grease" is known generically as an "NGLI No2" grease. The stuff I usually use is Chevron or Valvoline.

--Bill
  4. Beemerguru

Beemerguru Beemerguru...G/S guy

Oddometer:
    Ditch the emissions plumbing and you're heads will last longer.

Paralever rear drive so no oil in the drive shaft. Loke Anton mentioned, the small V notch at the top of the tranny output seal is OPEN for the G/S and CLOSED for the GS..a drop of glue should plug the hole.

Lean the right side of the bike against a wall,,in gear so it doesn't roll. About a 30% angle..unbolt the shifter lever, pry the old seal out, install the new seal with the corrent sized socket so it goes in straight..install shift lever and go for a ride.

A new speedo cable comes with a new boot but it's a PITA to install if you have the later style headlights nacelle..or just get a new boot...and it's a PITA to install by itself. As mentioned..add RTV or Dielectric into the boot to keep the water at bay.

Everything else looks like normal age related weeping...don't worry unless if starts dripping.

Any records on if/when the heads or transmission was ever worked on/replaced? Is everything stock or what upgrades were done?
  5. maxpowers410

maxpowers410 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Guys

Cheers for the info. We'll have a look at the hole that was mentioned.
    My friend (bike owner) will be on here shortly.

To summarise:

1. Check the hole
    2. shifter seal (lean bike over etc.)
    3. check neutral switch
    4. replace speedo boot
    5. breather hose (not sure what this is)
    6. Oil Pan
    7. Top End <- What's this :S

Cheers!
  6. maxpowers410

Oddometer:
    Emissions Plumbing = That blowby business?
    Will need to check the service book, but I doubt the tranny was worked on.
  7. Skyshadow

Skyshadow Banned

Oddometer:
    Those metal lines that run from under the head to the air filter box. Lots of info on that delete. In short.....it basically makes the exhaust side hotter and cooks the heads quicker. Great for emissions...bad for longevity
  8. maxpowers410

Oddometer:
    That's not the first time someone told me to ditch them, I'll look into removing them.
  9. garthg

garthg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You don't need to remove them. They can just be blocked off at the head connection. I installed some aluminum plugs. I've heard you can install a ball bearing that fits.

If you remove the air injection pipes, you have to be sure you block them off effectively and safely. On my most current bike, a P.O. had the pipes removed, but the vacuum line to the carbs was blocked off with a screw INSIDE the air box. The screw was just stuck into a small piece of tubing. If that screw had ever come loose, it could have been sucked into the carb and engine with catastrophic results.

I just melted the plastic "T" fitting which comes into the air box. This sealed it off.
  10. maxpowers410

Oddometer:
    oh ok. So it is plausable to block them of at the airbox? I'll do some research into something that would be effective. Ball bearing and some silicon perhaps?

Where did you get your plugs?
  11. Skyshadow

Skyshadow Banned

Oddometer:
    Honestly removing them is simpler. if it is similar to the g/s you would need two r1150 GS oil plugs to cover the head holes, two rubber plugs for the airbox holes then call it good. One of the easiest bang for the buck mods you can do with a tiny big of weight savings.
  12. maxpowers410

Oddometer:
    ok, I'll do it this winter.
  13. Skyshadow

Skyshadow Banned

Oddometer:
    The way the seasons are changing you will probably doing it in a fortnight. :eek1

Should be 30 here in Maine, but we are just breaking 22 :deal
  14. maxpowers410

Oddometer:
    living in Switzerland ;) If I want winter I'll drive to the alps :p If I want summer I'll drive over the alps ;)

You guys have strange changing weather in the states too?
  15. Skyshadow

Skyshadow Banned

Oddometer:
    yup.....this winter where I live got really cold and snowy, now it's nice and cool but feels like September.

Many folks over here say climate change does not exist, but that is simply because they fail to actually spend enough time outside to see it firsthand. :lol3
  16. garthg

garthg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No, not at the airbox. At the exhaust end.
  17. Emule3

Emule3 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey Guys,

many thanks for your support and tipps. I'm the owner of this bike in this thread.

I'm sorry for my english i know it isn't very good..i hope you understand me nevertheless..(don't eat me too :-))

I noticed, that my bike looses oil after e while standing around...has anyone maybe an idea what the issue could be?

Attached Files:

18. Skyshadow

Skyshadow Banned

Oddometer:
    welcome; is the little shelf under the transmission covered in oil too?

looking at the photo...probably not. My guess is your oil pan gasket is leaking and probably needs a new gasket. Easy job
  19. garthg

garthg Been here awhile

Oddometer:

No. More likely is the pushrod tube seals, especially given the age of the bike. The oil is running down the side of the engine from the seals, then along the gasket and down the side of the oil pan. Look carefully with a flashlight. Post some more pictures here if you are unsure.

Replacing the oil pan gasket is an easy job, if you know what you're doing and have the right tools, and do it carefully. It's easy to screw up if you don't. You need a 1/4" drive in-lbs/Nm torque wrench, and need to tighten the bolts in the correct pattern. No more than 10Nm max. It's very easy to strip those threads.
  20. maxpowers410

Oddometer:
    I'll have another look at his bike tonight, I'm thinking pushroads is probably it too. They where very wet (the seals).