Cafe Tail: Code Red

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by 74Cafe, Jun 17, 2013.

1. 74Cafe

74Cafe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The following photos are from my first build. Many lessons already learned and many more to follow, I'm sure. The biggest lesson (mistake) this far is not fitting a few parts prior to finishing them. I'm sure there are a few veterans with a crooked smile as I confess my sins.

I painted a cafe tail purchased from caferace.com prior to fitting to my bike...ouch.

There is a problem with the lateral fit. First photo shows the rear section of the tail flush with the frame, as intended to be. You can see the forward portion rise into the air.
    [​IMG]

The next two photos show the rise in the tail if the nose properly installed. Who likes the sweet LED tail light?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Anyone see a problem with my frame? Should it angle further up towards the end of the tail? I don't see any signs of previous damage so I'm at a loss.
    [​IMG]

Any information or advice would be much appreciated. I have two options: cut the frame or cut the fiberglass tail?
  2. Houseoffubar

Houseoffubar HoFmetalworks.com

Oddometer:
    Seems every Airhead subframe I see droops in the rear. I honestly don't know if that is factory, or just too much weight over the years. Hope to see some good answers here!
    Classy looking setup, keep up the fine work!
  3. JonnyCash

JonnyCash turd polisher

Oddometer:
    I'd say your subframe is bent. I just went and looked at two that I have (SWB), and they both take a very slight and localized bend right at the upper shock mounts. From there back, it's a straight run. I like that seat cowl, but aside from replacing/rebending your subframe, I don't know what you'd do to make it all work out right.
  4. 74Cafe

74Cafe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You guessed right JC. Snapped when heat & pressure applied. Will sleeve and repair with proper angle. Thanks for the heads-up. Nice to have an answer and not sit around scratching our heads.
    [​IMG]