2013 Giant Loop

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by OlafofOregon, Jan 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OlafofOregon

OlafofOregon Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dear ADV Riders –

Celebrating our fifth year, Giant Loop has evolved from two adventure motorcycle riders with a single saddlebag available only online, into one of the world’s most innovative soft luggage makers. Our 2013 line includes four completely new products, as well as updates across the entire Giant Loop collection. Riders worldwide energize and inspire us to continually improve, and each design is prototyped and tested in some of the most demanding off-road conditions.

Some of the very best riders in the world use Giant Loop gear, including Baja 1000 winners Quinn Cody and Kendall Norman, off-road racing legend Malcolm Smith, world-record setting Husaberg Adventure Team, London-to-Sydney riders from Continental Drift, as well as many others. Giant Loop has also received positive reviews in virtually every major US motorcycling publication, as well as Australian, European and South African media.

We began in 2008 with a hope of opening up new possibilities for riders to explore this magnificent planet, and today we stand proud to have expanded horizons for a worldwide community of Adventure Riders.

Giant Loop’s Design Vision
    Our top priorities for designing motorcycle gear: Adventure Proof = 1. Rugged enough to scoff in the face of off-road punishment; and 2. Stable enough to stay put while taking the pounding.

Giant Loop delivers these qualities in our Bombshell outer bag construction, while also eliminating the need for metal racks mounts and braces, optimizing a packed bike’s performance by positioning the load as close to the bike’s center as possible, and protecting both bikes and riders by containing gear within a pliable outer shell.

Next in line: 3. Waterproof in extreme wet conditions; and 4. Modular and flexible enough to satisfy a broad spectrum of bike types, terrain and gear loads.

With our 2013 line, we now offer riders more 100% waterproof options — and even more flexibility to customize the best solution for each rider’s individual needs. Rather than making our proven outer Bombshell waterproof, we protect gear inside with waterproof Dry Pods and some of the toughest roll-top Dry Bags made.

ADV Riders' experience, feedback and suggestions inspire us to continually improve and expand our offering of solutions to real world problems. We are listening, and we appreciate you helping us to improve the ride for all of our fellow motorcyclists.

Thanks for riding with us,
    Team Giant Loop

Designed in Bend, Oregon. Made in U.S.A. Ridden worldwide.
  2. Apple Jam

Apple Jam Ride Oregon First

Oddometer:
    Yeah?
    So tell us......

Should I buy a Great Basin today with it's current discount,
    ......and be glad I got a good deal?
    Or will I be pissed when I get to cheeze over the 2013 redesign?

I know,..... the question of the year, right?

New stuff looks GOOD!! But the GB still appears to be the ticket...
  3. TouratechUSA

TouratechUSA Made For Adventure

Oddometer:
  4. Dan Alexander

Dan Alexander still alive and well

Oddometer:
    $650 soft panniers ... :huh

I like the larger size than my Wolfman's for longer rides but ......
  5. team ftb

team ftb Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I posted this reply in the GL thread but was told the answers will be in this thread so thought I would transfer the post into this thread.
    ========================================================================================
    [​IMG]

Would like to hear about new design changes on the Coyote as I'm to buy another one. Do I buy the current model on sale or do I wait for the new model?

The above pic is not the Coyote but another bag GL is releasing. It makes it look like the zipper now wraps around the bottom of the bags and up the inside 6 inches or so. Also a possible sturdier grab handle on the very top of the bag. More importantly.......................... is there any improvement in waterproofing??? Looks like seams on the bottom of the pods, which makes me think its not a one piece design with a waterproof zipper like I was hoping. but what do I know. The increase in zipper length will offer easier packing but the last model was hardly inefficient in this area.

Lets see some more pics and puhleeeze some more info on the Coyote:D. Thank you.
  6. OlafofOregon

Oddometer:
    Hey Apple Jam! Here's a quick overview of what's new and upgraded.

Great Basin System
    Carry your gear where the passenger would sit on your bike - 
fits virtually any motorcycle designed to carry a passenger. Now more modular and customizable - choose the Great Basin accessories bags that best suit your packing needs.
    [​IMG]
    Great Basin Saddlebag - Adventure Proof
    The soft luggage problem-solver for virtually any bike designed to carry a passenger. Straps to passenger footrest mounts and rides on pillion seat. Plus, a long list of rider-requested improvements — and a lower entry price (MSRP $399 USD vs. $439)!
    • COLORS: black, white, gray, yellow, orange
    • NEW! Volume: 60 liters (10 more liters!)
    • NEW! “Beavertail” and floating compression straps - more ways to carry the gear you need, the way you want it
    • NEW! Separate mounting and compression straps for easier gear access
    • NEW! Beefy YKK coil zipper (not water resistant) opens/closes easier
    • NEW! Redesigned storm flap for 
improved access and water deflection
    • NEW! Choose fitted Great Basin Stuff Sacks or 100% waterproof Great Basin Dry Pods — or use your own bags inside to suit your kit
    • NEW! Cable lock pass-though to secure bag to bike while parked (cable/lock not included)
    • NEW! More reflective accents for better visibility
    • 1 Hot Springs Heat Shield (new laser-cut aluminum version) included
    • Military-spec materials and construction
    • Made in U.S.A.
    • MSRP $399 USD

NEW Great Basin 
Stuff Sacks (set of 5) - Adventure Proof
    Keep gear organized with stuff sacks fitted to the Great Basin Saddlebag’s interior.
    [​IMG]
    • COLOR: high visibility yellow
    • 2 lower zippered ballistic pods position heavy gear low and tight
    • 2 corner-shaped pack cloth sacks with drawstring closures
    • 1 roll-top center bag
    • Total volume: 55 liters
    • Made in U.S.A.
    • MSRP $79 USD

Great Basin Dry Pods (set of 5) - Waterproof
    Waterproof roll-top Dry Pods keep gear dry, organized and protected inside the Great Basin Saddlebag’s super-rugged Adventure Proof outer Bombshell™.

[​IMG]
    • 2 lower pods
    • 2 corner pods
    • 1 middle pod
    • Total volume: 55 liters
    • Made in U.S.A.

• MSRP $150 USD

Great Basin 
Dry Bag - Waterproof
    Adds 100% waterproof gear storage to any Giant Loop kit.
    [​IMG]
    • Volume: 23 liters
    • Roll-top closure 
with D-ring
    • Lash point for added security
    • Made in U.S.A.
    • MSRP $59 MSRP
  7. OlafofOregon

Oddometer:
    Hello Team FTB! Here's the 2013 Coyote Saddlebag System overview.

COYOTE SADDLEBAG SYSTEM
    Straps on to dirt bikes and dual sport motorcycles, no passenger pegs required. Rides on rear fender and/or tail rack. Plus, a long list of rider-requested improvements - and a lower entry price!
    [​IMG]
    Coyote Saddlebag - Adventure Proof
    The choice for hardcore off-road expeditions. Carry gear for multi-day trips — and still work the entire saddle. Rides on rear fender and/or tail rack.
    • COLORS: black, white, gray, yellow, orange
    • Volume: 30 liters
    • NEW! Rear mounting system — easier, more flexible adjustment
    • NEW! “Beavertail” and side-release buckled compression straps — improved access and gear compression
    • NEW! Beefy YKK coil zipper (not water resistant) — opens/closes with less effort
    • NEW! Redesigned storm flap — improved access
    • NEW! Choose fitted Coyote Stuff Sacks or 100% waterproof Coyote Dry Pods — or use your own bags inside to suit your kit
    • NEW! More reflective accents for better visibility
    • 1 Hot Springs Heat Shield (new laser-cut aluminum) included
    • Made in U.S.A.
    • MSRP $299 USD

Coyote Stuff Sacks (set of 3) - Adventure Proof
    Keep gear organized with stuff sacks fitted to the Coyote Saddlebag’s interior.
    [​IMG]
    • 2 lower pack cloth sacks with drawstring closures position heavy gear low and tight
    • 1 center crescent-shaped pack cloth sack with drawstring closures
    • Total volume: 30 liters
    • Made in U.S.A.
    • MSRP $49 USD

Coyote Dry Pods (set of 3) - Waterproof
    Waterproof roll-top Dry Pods keep gear dry, organized and protected inside the Coyote Saddlebag’s super-rugged outer Bombshell™.

[​IMG]
    • 2 lower pods
    • 1 center pod
    • Total volume: 30 liters
    • Made in U.S.A.

• MSRP $100 USD

Coyote Dry Bag - Waterproof
    Adds 100% waterproof gear storage to any Giant Loop kit.
    [​IMG]
    • Volume: 12 liters
    • Roll-top closure with D-ring
    • Lash points for added security
    • Made in U.S.A.
    • MSRP $49 USD
  8. the kawasaki kid

the kawasaki kid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Really appreciate your design concept, guys. I'm saving up for a great basin.
  9. Off Road Ryder

Off Road Ryder Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like the GB will not work with a passenger?
    Do the new soft Panniers (Not photoed in this thread yet) require a tube frame?
    I need a solution for single up aggressive dirt riding and a more relaxed pace with a passenger. What might you suggest?
  10. toowheels

toowheels on a mission...

Oddometer:
    The GB can be set further back (right over the top rack) on some bikes but that's not really how it was designed. Assuming you're referring to your 950 this could be doable with a decent sized top rack that's not too wide and a heat shield on each side if you still have the twin exhausts. Can't say for sure it would work for you but it is possible...

The Siskiyou panniers do not need a side rack! :clap

These are the prototype soft panniers here on a bike. The production Siskiyou's are slightly different but same concept.
    [​IMG]
    No side rack and one Hot Springs Heat Shield on the exhaust. Love 'em!

Great for aggressive dirt riding since they are tough and very stable.

Dave
  11. Apple Jam

Apple Jam Ride Oregon First

Oddometer:
    AWESOME, Thanks Olaf.
    I can wait.........
  12. Motorfiets

Motorfiets Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1
  13. OlafofOregon

Oddometer:
    Quick camparo:

Wolfman Expedition Dry Saddle Bags
    $219.99

$215-$304 for rack, depending on bike make/model

EX-T Stuff Sacks (set of 4)
    $36.99

TOTAL PRICE: $471.98-$560.98

Volume: 38 liters (19 liters each side)
    Warranty: 1 Year on RF Welded Bags

Giant Loop Siskiyou Panniers
    Volume: 70 liters (35 liters each side) ALMOST DOUBLE THE VOLUME
    Included components: 2 waterproof inner bags, 2 laser-cut aluminum exhaust heat shields
    Warranty: Lifetime of product for original purchaser against defects in materials and construction.
    TOTAL PRICE: $649
    Plus: No rack required. Strap it on and ride! Load is positioned closer to the center of the bike, maximizing performance and handling when carrying gear. Fewer parts to break. Multiple attachment points to secure additional bags. Easier access. Mesh internal pockets, exterior pockets large enough to carry 2 liters of fuel in each side. Ballistic nylon reinforcements in impact zones . . . .
    [​IMG]
    Wait until you see them on a bike! These are the final protos in our EICMA 2012 booth - and the proud owner of the display Super Tenere, Raoul. The graphics look even better on the final product bags.
    [​IMG]
    I've logged thousands of miles riding with the prototypes - on- and off-road. And yes, you can ride 2-up. My son has travel many miles with me testing the Siskiyou Panniers (Bend, OR to Cambria, CA for Horizons meeting 2011, Bend to Stevenson, WA + Dualsport Ride, Rally In The Gorge 2012). But he's young, light and tough. Most passengers would prefer to have a cushion strapped on top of the Siskiyous - which is easily done with Panniers's multiple lash points on top. That's a Fort Rock Top Case proto riding on top of the Siskiyou protos.
    [​IMG]
    My friend Brad and I rode the Oregon Backcountry Discovery Route from Bend to Prospect, forest roads from Talent, OR to Klamath River Hwy, CA, northern CA's Lost Coast and all of CA Hwy 1 to Cambria in October for the HU Traveler's Meeting. Not since the original Giant Loop Saddlebag has any of our products been so thoroughly test and punished.
  14. OlafofOregon

Oddometer:
    Hey Cyclops! Great Basin Saddlebag is designed to sit where a passenger sits - pillion seat - and strap to passenger peg mounts.

See my pics and comments here about riding 2-up with Siskiyou Panniers: Short answer - works great! Just strap on a little stadium cushion.

No rack required! No tube frame! Includes everything needed to strap it on and ride!

If you have a tail rack on your 950 Adventure, the 30-liter Coyote Saddlebag can be mounted completely behind the saddle, giving you your entire seat length for aggressive dirt riding. You can also ride 2-up with the Coyote wrapping around the back of the passenger. I've done this, with the addition of GL Dry Bag, on weekend trips riding 2-up.
  15. team ftb

team ftb Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Olaf - Thanks heaps for the info on the Coyote. one of the reason I have enjoyed the Coyote over the years is its adaptability to various loads. From fully stuffed for a month long offroad sojourn to lightly loaded for a simple overnighter. As stated i sold my old GL and back to the states in a few weeks for some gear shopping.

When lightly loaded on a simple overnighter i would fasten the two top compression straps down to their maximum,

[​IMG]

With the new modification of the Beavertail is there less compression available in the straps before the straps bottom out? The above pic has the empty bag folded onto itself and compressed down to the maximum to where the buckles hit the seat. The new bag looks great when loaded more substantially my concern is when loaded more light? Any insight?
  16. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Those soft panniers look great, would love to see a pic of the exhaust side of the SuperTenere.. I'd consider those for mine. Nice work :thumb
  17. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Those soft panniers look great, would love to see a pic of the exhaust side of the SuperTenere.. I'd consider those for mine. Nice work :thumb
  18. snowhawk jockey

snowhawk jockey Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer:
    The other Center of the Universe: Bend, Oregon
    I sure wanted front page on this thread, with my post, but I got thwarted by time and technology twice, so second page and above the fold, it is...

Announcing!! I am a new member of the Giant Loop Sales Team!
    I am handling new dealer development and outside sales as an independent rep for Giant Loop. After years of enjoying the product and knowing the boys at GL, its time for me to do what I do best, for them and the business.

Being local to the company, I have watched GL and the luggage evolve over time, since the first prototypes. Over the last year it has become clear that Giant Loop is progressing with clear intention, into the next phase of business maturity and growth. It is very important to me that GL has the best chance of success in the market place and I know I can contribute greatly to that success!

So expect to see me posting up when I can provide relevant info to moto luggage discussions, here at ADVrider. :deal
  19. Dan Alexander

Dan Alexander still alive and well

Oddometer:
    Good info, thanks.... but ....

I'd retort that the Wolfman don't need the inner bags to keep items dry so I'd deduct that from the equation :wink:

Concerning the rack, what makes yours different that a rack isn't needed, what keeps the bags from rolling under towards the wheel with the weight of the contents??

BTW, not knocking you guys ... I've got a Fandango on my Dakar and I'm planning on getting the Buck and Roll to add to it when I move it over onto the big GS for longer rides.
  20. OlafofOregon

Oddometer:
    Thanks GB! The Super Tenere comes stock with a substantial exhaust heat shield, which appears to provide adequate coverage for the Siskiyou Panniers, although we have not yet had the opportunity to test with that particular machine.

However, the Panniers include two of our new Hot Springs Heat Shields (laser-cut, heavy guage aluminum) , which would no doubt provide even more protection.

[​IMG]
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.