XRL owners sign in.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by onaXR, Jan 18, 2006.

1. Mossy-Back

Mossy-Back Nookie Monster

Oddometer:
    Nice looking XR! But what's with the boobs behind the seat facing the rear? :huh
  2. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Be sure to check the countershaft splines for wear before you buy the bike. :deal

Spud :beer
  3. Sierra Thumper

Sierra Thumper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I haven't got to ride my bike yet because of ice/snow and bitter cold, but I did fire it up today for the first time with the cut airbox and powerbomb header added to it. I live at 5000ft up, and my bike now has Dave's mods done, drilled slide, Uni filter, desmogged, desnorkeled with top right section of airbox cut open, FMF powerbomb header and Big Gun silencer, and 58 pilot/155 main jets.

Before I added the powerbomb and cut the airbox, my bike ran flawlessly from idle up, with instant throttle response. The mixture screw was only 1/4 turn out tho, because the po did the jetting mods, and stuck in the 58 pilot which is way too big for my elevation.

After I fired it up today and warmed it up good, it revved up fine if I rolled the throttle on, but if I tried to snap it open from idle it would cough, then grab and rev, which it never did before. After adjusting the mixture screw 3 turns out, I completely cured the cough....now I can snap the throttle open again as fast as I want wide open with flawless, instant response. And the exhaust bark has really sharpened up, not any louder..just much sharper, you can definately hear the extra fuel and flow in the sound.....plus its revving up much quicker :thumb

Basically the cut airbox and powerbomb required 2 3/4 turns richer on the mixture screw to get the bike to run the same as before I added them.....which tells me the combo is letting the bike breathe WAY better....especially low down. It should REALLY have some low-end pull now :eek1
    That 58 pilot that was WAY too big at my elevation, is now barely big enough.......thats a BIG diff in flow so far from just tuning/running it in the garage.

According to the jetting charts I've used my 155 main should be plenty rich enough for my elevation.....I'm hoping my needle will be fine as is also. The way its responded so far tho, who knows?

I can say that so far, a stock-engined xrl definately responds to more air flow from a cut airbox. I think the cut box and powerbomb are going to make a great power-producing combo........I can't wait to take it for a ride :clap :evil :D
  4. WMD

WMD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Notice in my list of things to change....the tail light. :thumb

Did already and he was on it. When he bought the bike he switched to the XRR CS sproket and the splines were still good.
  5. Sierra Thumper

Oddometer:
    I agree.....most of us guys tend to overjet :lol3 Isn't bigger always better? :rofl

Actually I learned to not overjet a few years ago myself. I was doing like most guys and going too big for a long time :baldy
  6. Sierra Thumper

Oddometer:
    I have an American Derringer that fires 45-70's in the top barrel, and 410/45 cal. in the bottom barrel. The barrels just long enough to fit the 45-70.....the whole gun EASILY hides in the palm of your hand.
    In the paperwork they have a big disclaimer saying its the hardest recoiling handgun ever made, and to use extreme caution when firing it :rofl

I have yet to fire it, but all the local gun shops/shooting ranges say its a monster to fire, and will jack your hand up bigtime if you're not careful :eek1 I do have some really cool 410 self defense rounds for it, as well as some 45 and stupid high grain 45-70 rounds I bought in a moment of testosterone-fueled insanity :eek1 :lol3 :D
  7. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    So he relocated a Shorai battery, and installed an XR650R C/S sprocket? Where did get ideas like that?! :huh

Spud :lol3
  8. ONandOFF

ONandOFF more off than on

Oddometer:
    :d
  9. ThumpnRed

ThumpnRed Pig Wrangler

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the asylum. Nice bike!
  10. Mossy-Back

Mossy-Back Nookie Monster

Oddometer:
    Exhaust Decibels???

Does anyone know how many Db's a XR600R muffler without the insert puts out? I know it's probably a long-shot, but the trails around here have a 99db limit and I fear that the 600R muffler without the insert will be too loud.
  11. WSobchak

WSobchak Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I do shoot a real rifle. It will shoot 30 rounds of 62 grain 5.56 mm in the time it takes to fire two rounds out of a rolling block.

That is to say my little AR will put out 1,860 grains of FMJ in the time it takes your BIG bore to put out 1,000. :D

Sorry, had a little bit of a napoleon complex after you guys mentioned all your BIG bullets.

Spring can't get here quick enough. Now, back to the air cooled BIG bores we all love.

[​IMG]
  12. Barron

Barron M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer:
    I don't have a rifle... I shoot these instead :evil

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/n7wKEQFf5JY" allowfullscreen="" width="560" frameborder="0" height="315"></iframe>

I can't go into specifics and the facts listed were taken off of wikipedia to ensure they weren't classified, but this missile doesn't have any explosives in the "warhead" aka kill vehicle, and the target it aims for is smaller than an XRL wheel which it will hit when both the kill vehicle and the target are both going much faster that the speed of sound in space. When the kill vehicle intercepts the target, it provides 130 megajoules (96,000,000 ft·lbf, 31 kg TNT equivalent) of kinetic energy at the point of impact. When one of these took out a satellite it had a closure rate of 22,783 MPH.

I shoot these too...

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4l0Dh6qJ3RE" allowfullscreen="" width="420" frameborder="0" height="315"></iframe>

It's firing rate is 4500 20mm rounds a minute :evil

-Barron
  13. Sierra Thumper

Oddometer:
    Showoff!! :rofl :evil :D
  14. JahPahNeh

JahPahNeh n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello, I own a 2006 650L. The bike is currently all stock :puke1 but with some reading up on some of the previous posts, I have taken out the snorkel on the air box :D This is the first step of many to come. I've noticed with just the snorkel out, the bottom end lags slightly, but the mid and top feel great. Thankful I found this thread for XRLs!
  15. fritzcoinc

fritzcoinc Enjoying my last V8 Supporter

Oddometer:
    There could be many reasons for this " lag " issue. Read carefully, do plenty of research before making any changes. First of all make sure all systems are operating as they should before making modifications.
  16. smokeeater495

smokeeater495 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You need to rejet and do the Dave's carb mods.
  17. fritzcoinc

fritzcoinc Enjoying my last V8 Supporter

Oddometer:
    JahPahNeh , the above is a prefect example of what I am cautioning you about.
  18. elsalvadorklr

elsalvadorklr southern xr rider

Oddometer:
    x a million!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

READ...best thing ever, then make your informed decision...

doing dave mods has been the all TO do answer for every damn symptom a bike has nowadays...puffy exhaust daves mods, popping a bit on decel DAVES mods, little hiccup idle Daves mods...

Im not trying to be an ass here, but damn guys...read up a bit and infrom yourself before just blabbing such a common answer...

THIS IS NOT TO SAY THAT daves mods doesnt work.... its great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:deal
  19. ONandOFF

Oddometer:
    "Speed of sound in space". :jack

I can't read past that :dunno

Otherwise, sounds fantastic!

:D
  20. ONandOFF

Oddometer:
    [jumping into mods before verifying all OK first, then gaining an understanding of proposed mods]
    :hmmmmm. Some common sense DOES exist!!

:lol3