Need help with my KTM Adventure Jetting

Discussion in 'The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan' started by 5 speed, Sep 2, 2013.

1. 5 speed

5 speed Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi there. I had my 05 950 Adv at a shop and they fixed my midrange lean issue but in the process it just doesnt idle properly. I do not have the time to tear it down and go through trial and error (and based what I read its not the easiest to get things right with these carbs). I travel overseas quite a bit so my time needs to be spent riding. I am in central Florida and looking to find a shop to bring the bike to that possibly has a dyno and some experience with these bikes and can do what is necessary to get them right once and for all. I plan on keeping the bike so I see it as money well spent. I was recommended regarding motors to these guys
    http://www.wmr1.com/motor-modifications.htm

and a KTM dealer in Holley Hill recommended them and supposedly do engine work for some of the teams. Course may not be applicable to my specific case dont know their experience with the LC8, Adventure bike, whether they have a dyno, etc. Anybody know of these guys? Will be will drive to Georgia if need be just tired of having things not right. I have posted in Orange crush as well but if someone reading can shed some light, that would be great.
  2. motomike14

motomike14 Thumper Crusader Supporter

Oddometer:
    KTM World in Georgia has a few guys that know those things in and out. Would at least call them for setup, then get an inmate to help you. Save you big bucks.
  3. waybill

waybill wayward

Oddometer:
    You want to have a conversation with SFront, purveyor of all things 950, and then some. Maybe he'll see this or someone can ring him up. He's not far from you either.
  4. OtownMike

OtownMike Electron Pusher

Oddometer:
    Mine has stock jetting from what I recall, have it written down at home but I wont be there for a couple of more weeks. I have Akros, so I went an extra half turn out on the mixture screws, think Im at 3 out. I was fighting an idle problem for a long time, turned out to be the TPS. Its pretty easy to check, and if you drill a small hole in the airbox you can adjust it by just pulling the right tank.
  5. JerryIUP

JerryIUP Team Wanker

Oddometer:
    +1 on Sfront
  6. Johno33772

Johno33772 Johnny Africa

Oddometer:
    Steve...Sfront...he be the Wanker you need to see:D
  7. 5 speed

5 speed Long timer

Oddometer:
    I sent him a PM. I may still try and find a place to drop it off. I have projects stacked on end at the house. I think the real key is going to be to have the right needles (wish JD jetting made one) but we will see.
  8. sfront

sfront Chaos in Motion

Oddometer:
    There's a complete jetting thread here on ADV......HERE.
    I'll be happy to help but it sounds like the pilot circuit is dirty.
    Has the bike been sitting for a while????
    Check your PM's....

9. 5 speed

5 speed Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thought I would finish the thread. As it turns out I didnt have the time to sort it myself so I dropped it at CSC on John Young Pkwy. Two weeks later after jets were ordered, a small screw that had been abused by a prior mechanic holding the throttle cables on its put back together only to discover the brass elbows are leaking now because the o rings are brittle and old and i guess because they were disturbed. the shop didnt have the correct flat o rings but used some round and ground them down (have no idea how they did that). I got it back Saturday and rode it for an hour Sunday. I do have to state; its never run better!!! Sync'd , floats adjusted, smaller pilot and it was rich all around. The top end is quite fierce now and very satisfied. Much happier than having done it myself. Finally a good job done. Thanks for everyone's assistance.