Kaiserslautern, Germany!

Discussion in 'Europe' started by tx_medic, Apr 9, 2012.

1. tx_medic

tx_medic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So, I'm getting ready to move to Kaiserslautern. Which bike do I bring and which do I sell here in the states before I go?

I've got a 2010 Triumph Tiger 1050 that I'm planning on taking with me for the roads.

I need to make a decision between my 2002 Honda CR250r 2-stroker and my 4 stroke 1999 Yamaha WR400f. I'm not a motocross track guy, I've always enjoyed riding trails and adventuring off the beaten path. What kind of dirt riding can I look forward to in that area? Are there any amateur clubs where I could join to improve my skills or even race enduros or hare scramble style races? Let me know, I can't wait for this adventure to start.
  2. MoxNix

MoxNix Ex-ExPat

Oddometer:
    Doc- Welcome! Unless you want to join a motorcross club or trailer your bikes out of Germany to ride offroad, leave the off-road bikes in the U.S.

Germany has the largest tree-hugger population in the world and off road ist verbotten! (Herman the German's favorite saying)

The Tiger will be great over here.

3. strom thingie

strom thingie Lost and Proud! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Everything Moxnix said and Welcome!
  4. tx_medic

Oddometer:
    Oh no! Well the triumph will sure appreciate the attention.
  5. Possu

Possu de-nOObed!

Oddometer:
    Nothing to stop you buying a DS bike and heading off to France, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Andorra or the UK if you want to go trailriding though.
  6. T-Hall

T-Hall tilting at windmills

Oddometer:
    I'd bring them all.
  7. MichaelJ

MichaelJ Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    As a bit of consolation, you'll be about 100 miles from the Nurburgring, which your Tiger will greatly appreciate on Touristenfahrten Tagen.

[​IMG]

and give you a chance to work on the unused tread on the sides of your tires (ME-Z6 pictured)

[​IMG]
  8. tx_medic

Oddometer:
    Yes, that part I'm excited about! Though I'm still not much of a knee-dragger...
  9. MichaelJ

Oddometer:
    Don't need to be - it comes with the territory.

Here's a better pic of the squidmobile with the worn out tire:

[​IMG]

You'll find yourself actually wishing for a straight stretch of road after a while :D
  10. Harvey Krumpet

Harvey Krumpet Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I hope you like soccer, it's a religion in that neck of the woods.
  11. tx_medic

Oddometer:
    Holy crap! What's that huge pile of white stuff??? Did I mention I'm coming from SOUTH Texas! I've lived in the North before, but it's been a while. So, is it "verboten" to ride off-road on private land?
  12. alicethomas

alicethomas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Picture wasn't taken near Kaiserslautern, but perhaps in the Swiss Alps.
    But we do know this kind of stuff ...
    Depends on the land owner (and possible further restrictions if in natural reserve parc etc.).
    For public access: "Vehicles must use the road surface". (1) http://www.gesetze-im-internet.de/stvo/__2.html
    Obviously off-road isn't on the road ...
  13. motophil

motophil Paint it black!

Oddometer:
    We call it "Schnee" here :)

It's not too bad in the Kaiserslautern Area, actually. You'll have it a week or two in winter, then it goes away, might come back once or twice. Hardly ever more than 8 inches. Roads are always cleaned quickly and heavily salted.

Germany, unlike Texas, is pretty crowded. Most people, if they own land at all, will own about a tenth of an acre - just enough for a house and a small garden. Farmers will own more, but they won't let you ride on their property.

Driving/riding on anything that doesn't look like it's built for motorized vehicles (i.e. it has grass in the middle) is forbidden and also usually has a corrosponding sign. Riding there is very much frowned upon by pedestrians, foresters, hunters and so on - they're even likely to call the police.

So if you want to do off road riding find a motor sport club with a dirt track or go over the border to France - things are much more relaxed there.

- Philip
  14. tx_medic

Oddometer:
    Ok. I'll probably bring the WR, it's at least plated for the streets. Then on the rare occasions I'll take it to the track or out to another location.

What are the Motorsport clubs like?
  15. Goran69

Goran69 MNE

Oddometer:
    Bring them all....evade police hunts....if they stop you....well don't :freaky:freaky:freaky
  16. MichaelJ

Oddometer:
    Very good!

July 5th, 2010 on the St. Gottard Pass in Switzerland :D
  17. gpracer171

gpracer171 Kodak Courage

Oddometer:
    Ok, I am wrestling with the nearly exact dilemma.

Bringing the BMW F800GS, however I will be replacing the knobbies with some more street focused rubber. I also have a Street legal WR450. I am considering making it a full blown supermoto if I bring it over. Here is the question, What is required to be street legal in Germany for a bike with dirt bike roots. I have blinkers front and rear, head light with high and low beam, one mirror, brake and tail lights, and road tires. Will it pass the test to get a German license plate?
  18. alicethomas

alicethomas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  19. tx_medic

Oddometer:
    F800GS and the 450?!?!? Just haaad to upstage me in my own thread, didn't ya? ;0)

When are you headed over there, and to what part?
  20. gpracer171

gpracer171 Kodak Courage

Oddometer:
    No upstaging, I am sure there are guys out there who would go for your set up. The 250 2 stroke is a lot of fun and I know people who have traded the F800 for the Tiger.

I will be coming to Erlangen, Germany this summer if it all comes together with the Job offer.