Colorado Front Range Tag-O-Rama

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by Charleetho, Dec 23, 2010.

1. Charleetho

Charleetho Mr. Zoom Zoom

Oddometer:
    Any interest in a local Tag-o-Rama? I need a reason to go explore some interesting places along the front range this winter. This game is popular back east, not sure why it has not caught on here other then the vast open spaces we have could lead to some long times between tags and frustrations in finding them. I have a possible solution. First,
    Rules are easy...

#1 - Find the tag and reproduce the photo (as best as possible). The first person to post a found tag gets to place the next tag. If you get a tag, but somebody else posts their picture first, you lose.

#2 - Take the tag to a new location, get the photo and post it here. Give a few hints so the next person can figure out where the tag is located. Try to place the tags in interesting locations, maybe a bit of history that can be found down some nice twisties.

#3 - Tag must be a) findable and b) may be placed on a dirt road if a street bike can make it. Maintained gravel is OK, but make sure to let folks know that gravel is required to get to your tag. We don't want to exclude those who don't like to get dirty.

#4 - File photos (photos more then 24hrs old) are NOT permitted. You gotta ride to play this game.

#5 - Your bike has to be in the TAG picture

#6- The 36 Hour Rule. This rule is designed to keep the game moving. If someone makes a Grab, they have a 36 hour window to post the next Tag. If the Grabber does not post a new Tag within this 36 hour period then the last Tag is back in play for a Grab (Steal). The "steal" grab/pic has to be taken after the 36 hour period.

Edit for clarification of rule #6. 4/8/2019. After the 36 hour window to post the new tag the grabber no longer has the tag in their
    possession. They cannot place a new tag unless they re-grab the previous tag.

Here is my two suggestions for making this more fun and easier in our vast open spaces.

Lets restrict the area (for this winter anyway) to the front range and eastern plains. This means no farther west then where the snow builts up. No farther east then Kansas (this allows for some cool indian battle grounds), Fort Collins in the northern border and Pueblo could be the southern border.

I will post the first tag tomorrow. or tonight!

The list of players as of May 25, 2015

The first 200 Tags

Tags 201 to 400

Tags 401 to 550

Tags 551 to 600

Tags 601 to 750

Tags 751 to 875

Tags 876-900

Tags 901-925

Tags 926-950

Tags 950-975
  2. NoBull

NoBull Lovin my new KLR

Oddometer:
    I enjoy playing TAG on the ST owners forum, its a kick. Obviously its better in warmer conditions. We play in the entire state, but nobody wants to strand the tag in the snow so it just happens to stay East and usually closer to the metro area during the winter. Im in..:clap
  3. Charleetho

Charleetho Mr. Zoom Zoom

Oddometer:
    If you have the time to visit this place it has an great collection of vintage bikes. Mostly Italian. They are only open on Saturdays.
    GPS Coordinates are approximately 30 46'36"N 104 104 59'6"N

Attached Files:

4. mountain eagle

mountain eagle terrorist

Oddometer:
    2:15 or so Xmas morning.........

[​IMG]

Oddly enough I don't like the TOR but this was just too easy......

This shot would have made it a touch more difficult
    [​IMG]

Yeah, I'll add something soon.....
  5. mountain eagle

mountain eagle terrorist

Oddometer:
    In the Bario
    Hipsters stroll near to where
    Furry things are loved

[​IMG]
  6. Charleetho

Charleetho Mr. Zoom Zoom

Oddometer:
    Very Clever pic and Clue. Me and the girlfriend took a ride to the new tag. Her first times on the highway and in city traffic. This game gave us a reason to head that way.

[​IMG]

I'll be moving the tag Southeast to the burbs.
  7. NoBull

NoBull Lovin my new KLR

Oddometer:
    :thumb
  8. Charleetho

Charleetho Mr. Zoom Zoom

Oddometer:
    If you built a Castle in this canyon you should not use wood. And do a better job then these guys did with this dam.

[​IMG]

The Dam burst in 1933 sending a 15 foot wall of water all the way to Denver and killing 2 people. There is some really great hiking in this area.
    John-John likes this.
  9. Blakebird

Blakebird r - u - n - n - o - f - t

Oddometer:
    it will look like this in a couple of days :D

[​IMG]
    John-John likes this.
  10. Charleetho

Charleetho Mr. Zoom Zoom

Oddometer:
    The dirt road in and out of there can get slick after a storm. Especially in the shady spots.

Here is a view circa 1890

[​IMG]
  11. ChrisC

ChrisC Amal sex?

Oddometer:
    Tag-o-Rama in the Rockies? Say it ain't so... :cry

When I left Colorado and ended up in S. NY State all I could find on that forum was the what seemed to be an east coast aberration, the TOR. Now its made its way West? Is it my fault? Steamboat Dave seems to think so... whaaaaaaaaaaaaa :lol3
  12. Osprey!

Osprey! a.k.a. Opie Supporter

Oddometer:
    I always wondered why we didn't have Tag-o-Rama like the rest of the regions...
  13. Charleetho

Charleetho Mr. Zoom Zoom

Oddometer:
    I didn't even know what a TOR was until I visited some Adv friends in Connecticut and Mass. this summer. They assumed we would have an awesome TOR. Not so. I was looking through their thread and it looked like a fun game to me. A two wheeled scavenger hunt.

I saw the a TOR was tried a couple times in the past in this region. IIRC I saw some pics of a plated enduro bike by a pile of rocks out near Schofield Pass. No doubt a beautiful place to go but, you needed an enduro to get to it (leaving out a large portion of advers) and it was 8 hours from where most riders live (like the front range of Colorado).

I saw another one had started and fizzled. The premise was the next tag always had to be in another state. Nice if we lived we states are the size of our counties but not for those of us who work. Unrealistic challenge for most people and it leaves out anybody who would not want to ride a DR400S to Montana for example.

Thus, I focused this TOR on the front range of Colorado. It has to be accessible by most bikes, or at least big pig GS's. Most everybody can play that way. It maybe a winter game for the eastern parts of Colorado while the our mountain playground is closed to motorcycling.

So... Show us the cool places of the front range. Museums, Road Houses, Historic sites, odd ball roadside attractions, and what ever else you may think riders may want to see. Just give us a place to go and reason to ride there! :D

Maybe there will be a gnarly single track enduro bike TOR in the future.
  14. modette

modette Rider

Oddometer:
    That one is Sooooooooooo easy...but I'm not going to ride up from Monument to take a picture...I tend to hike when I go there...LOL
  15. TinkerinWstuff

TinkerinWstuff Take it apart

Oddometer:
    Maybe the tags need a time limit to keep the thing moving?
  16. Charleetho

Charleetho Mr. Zoom Zoom

Oddometer:
    The weather hasn't been to favorable for riding to a tag.

Seems several people know where this is. Would be nice if somebody went there and placed a new tag. Isn't part of the challenge is placing the new tag? Not just finding the existing one.
  17. modette

modette Rider

Oddometer:
    Yep I was just there hiking,...maybe we can hope someone will post tonight as I saw two BMW's at the Stagecoach restaurant.

This was neat all the water frozen a little down from the tag picture :D The dirt road in looked fine but I did not go that far back on it, but by the amount of dust I would say it is not bad at all for a motorcycle.

[​IMG]
  18. Blakebird

Blakebird r - u - n - n - o - f - t

Oddometer:
    BMW's at the Stagecoach? :eek1
    Don't they know they're in H-D territory there? :lol2
    Pdrhound likes this.
  19. Charleetho

Charleetho Mr. Zoom Zoom

Oddometer:
    Saturday Morning Bump! I will be out riding today. Supposed to be 50 I am told.
  20. Mac

Mac Long timer

Oddometer:
    It was a little icy, in the shade about 1/2 mile before the location but not too bad. It was a nice ride this morning. I'll get out this afternoon for a new tag.

[​IMG]