LEO request to remove helmet?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by markk9, Oct 5, 2013.

1. markk9

markk9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have looked through the NC vehicle code, and could not find the answer. Not looking for if I should. But, do I have the legal right to refuse to remove my helmet if asked, when pulled over for a traffic infraction?

Every time I have been pulled over I do remove my helmet when asked. I'm just looking for the section of law or vehicle code that requires I legally remove it.

Not trying to start an argument over being polite or being an ass.
  2. joexr

joexr Banned

Oddometer:
    That's an interesting question. I've had a couple of cops ask for my keys , which sound worse to me.
  3. Butters

Butters Kwyjibo

Oddometer:
    I don't know the answer. But since it would be pretty difficult for the cop to match your DL to your face with a helmet on, it seems pretty reasonable. If I was wearing a mask to a Halloween party, I would expect to be asked the same.
  4. DomEOD

DomEOD 'murica

Oddometer:
    As a courtesy, I remove the helmet and am off the bike before the cop is even near me...

running through backyards.
  5. Nytelyte

Nytelyte Somewhere about

Oddometer:
    REQUIRES you to LEGALLY remove it? Probably doesn't exist, although I bet if you asked an officer they would put it somewhere in the "Lawful request for officer safety" realm of things.

Pushing those buttons is often the difference a interaction with LEOs and an INTERACTION with LEOs.

I flip up the shield, turn off the bike, and wait for instructions. Usually compounded by being armed (which the LEO knows) so I want them to be as 'in control' as possible, it makes them feel better / safer / happier. All of which are my goal, as someone that wants to pay as little as possible in 'RoadSide Tax'.
  6. joexr

joexr Banned

Oddometer:
    Besides , in Ohio they can just run you down.
  7. txwanderer

txwanderer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How often do you get pulled over and what is the beef. Just do it, be polite and maybe, just maybe you will become a human being instead of a traffic stop-possible hazard.

Probably something in the instructions of a police officer in there, but I don't live in NC. It is easier to see hair color and facial features without the lid and if it is a FF, your smiling mug.
  8. ZEmann

ZEmann want to be riding

Oddometer:
    LOL I didn't see that comment comming

I feel stepping off the bike may be misconstrued as and act of confrontation

asking for the keys is silly IMHO if you were going o dart you would have been long gone
  9. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    Ask for your keys?
    Why would they need your keys? Ive never heard that one.
  10. Nytelyte

Nytelyte Somewhere about

Oddometer:
    No kidding. If you are lucky, they shoot you in the back first. (Officer Thomas White)

But really, its all about making them as comfortable and happy as possible, and pandering to their 'superiority' as much as possible. Most cops are folks trying to do a job as well as they can, just like any of us, and flattery will get you far (as long as you are not obsequious about it, anyone can smell that out). Almost all of the time you are on the side of the road its because you broke a law and they are calling you out on it. Treat it as such.
    BUT: Know your rights and act accordingly. I'll answer simple questions about where from / where too because really, who cares, and its easy social lubricant. No, you cannot search my car without a warrant.

YMMV, IANAL, etc.
  11. Benduro

Benduro Carnavoyeur Supporter

Oddometer:
    Agreed. Stop being a dick for five seconds and try to pass the attitude test and you'll be amazed at how courtesy and respect get returned to you. I fucking HATE cops, but I know they have a difficult job that I would never want, and at the end of the day, we're all just people trying to do our best.
    Saying something cute or acting surly or sullen to a cop is just idiotic. They know you're bummed. No-one is ever happy to be pulled over. So forget your weird tough guy ploy to let them know how much they're inconveniencing you, be respectful (if not for the officer, then at least for the office) and use your manners! You want to distinguish yourself from all the asshat shitbags he's already dealt with today. Get him to relax.

I wait until I'm approached (bike off, hands on tank where he can see them) and when he asks to see my paperwork and I tell him it's in my tool tube, then I ask if it's alright if I get off the bike and remove my helmet. Setting the courtesy tone early is important.
    Haven't gotten a ticket yet.
  12. SkiFastBadly

SkiFastBadly A beer? Yes, please

Oddometer:
    I'm way more worried he'll ask me what my FYYFF sticker means.
  13. WYO George

WYO George I have no idea

Oddometer:
    If he's me he'l know what FYYFF means:D

Great advice, I couldn't say it better (and I'm a F'n cop...) Believe it or not, some of us are pretty laid back and even fellow ADV riders too.:freaky
  14. Bar None

Bar None Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Suspected DUI?
  15. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think you answered your own question.
    At he end of the day it really doesn't matter if its legal or not. If you want to get back to riding ASAP, do as asked. If you want to be detained longer than usual, refuse.
    If you were checking the photo ID of someone you've never seen before what would you do?

So you can't say "AMF" :fyyff and split.
  16. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Me? Bike off, kickstand down and helmet off. I usually will hang it over the throttle side mirror before they come up to me. Multiple stops for various reasons over the years and zero tickets. Some cops are robotic dick heads but most are just some dude (or gal) trying to make it through another shitty work day...Almost like real people. :lol3
  17. Treedguy

Treedguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    He needs to confirm that you are the person on the license.
    Why would you refuse?:huh
  18. Homey

Homey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When I get pulled I put the bike on it's side stand, take off my helmet then pull out the DL. I usually get that done before he even gets to me. It puts them at ease that you're not going to split (that's why they ask for keys). My bike doesn't have keys so it's difficult to give them to him/her. :) I've talked myself out of more tickets than I can remember by being polite and contrite. Even if I think the officer is wrong. If you're nice and don't argue with them they don't think you're likely to go to court and usually don't take very good notes or even remember the incident. That makes it much easier to win. If you piss them off you can be assured they will remember you and that's not a good thing.
  19. bones_708

bones_708 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Of course you have to. No there is no particular law that specifies but there doesn't need to be. When you are pulled over you are in custody and as they are investigating am offence refusing to comply would be seen as interference with an investigation which is a criminal offence.
  20. ZEmann

ZEmann want to be riding

Oddometer:
    good point but I don't go for My wallet( where I Keep my ID in my back pocket ) just cause it's next to my gun

I just keep my hands in plain sight just like if I were in a cage and got stopped