CT/RI Small Bike Crash-o-Rama rides!

Discussion in 'Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carp' started by alcontrast, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Gooch

Gooch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I didn't realize there were going to be CT/RI SBCOR peeps at the BritJam -- I should've checked the board and had a cookout! I live at the 151 end of that road and was wandering around BJ all afternoon with a couple of friends. Next year we'll have a "do:" Saturday ride-around with me and Al, SatPM campout at my house, Sunday BritJam. Al -- I think I saw you leaving. Waved (was walking along the road) but wasn't surprised we didn't register.

Anyhoo, FYI:

P R E S S R E L E A S E

DEEP Closing Camp Grounds in Pachaug State Forest
    due to Identification of Easter Equine Encephalitis in Area
    Connecticut’s Department of Energy and Environmental Protection (DEEP) is closing two of its campgrounds in Pachaug State Forest because the Eastern Equine Encephalitis (EEE) virus was detected in human-biting mosquitoes trapped in the area by the Connecticut Agricultural Experiment Station (CAES). The decision to close the Mt. Misery campground and the nearby Horse Camp also known as the Frog Hollow Horse Camp, was made in consultation with the CAES and the Department of Public Health (DPH). The campgrounds are closed until further notice.
    “Eastern equine encephalitis is a rare but potentially deadly disease that must be taken seriously,” said DEEP Commissioner Daniel C. Esty. “Although we understand the inconvenience of having to cancel or change camping plans, the presence of EEE in human-biting mosquitoes so near to these campgrounds leaves us no choice but to close them in order to protect human health.”
    “The presence of EEE in mosquito pools in this area is cause for concern,” said DPH Commissioner Dr. Jewel Mullen. “Closing these campgrounds for overnight camping at this time is prudent, and anyone spending time in this area during the day is strongly advised to take precautions to avoid mosquito bites.”
    Dr. Mary Jane Lis, State Veterinarian for the Department of Agriculture reminds horse owners to review vaccination records with their veterinarians to ensure that EEE and West Nile Virus (WNV) vaccinations are current and to take precautions against mosquito bites, especially when riding in areas with known infected mosquitoes.
    The mosquitoes that have currently tested positive for EEE were trapped in Voluntown on August 13, 2013. Mosquitoes with EEE were previously identified by the CAES at the same site on July 10 and July 17. While those EEE-infected mosquitoes were limited to a bird-feeding species, the mosquitoes trapped on August 13 include both bird-feeding mosquitoes and those that feed on birds and people.
    Day use of this part of Pachaug State Forest for hiking and other recreational activities will still be allowed. Signs will be posted by DEEP staff advising visitors of the presence of EEE in the area and precautions that should be taken to avoid being bitten by mosquitoes. Campers can go to the DEEP website at http://www.ct.gov/deep/camping for alternate camping areas.
    The state’s mosquito monitoring and management effort is a collaboration involving DEEP, DPH, CAES, and the state Department of Agriculture. For information on EEE and WNV and what you can do to prevent getting bitten by mosquitoes, visit the Connecticut Mosquito Management Program website at www.ct.gov/mosquito.
    # # #
  2. Jerry Withajay

Jerry Withajay Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking this would be a good ride to attend...
    Should I get a camping spot?
  3. LaurenL

LaurenL Was "tmlee"

Oddometer:
    Since all my other plans for the month have fallen apart, I may attend this one if I can be back in RI then. If I am in RI that weekend I will be helping a friend on Saturday, 9/14 with his annual WWII Veteran's event he hosts each year, then heading up to the Berkshire ride and camping Saturday evening, riding Sunday (Husqvarna?), then heading back to RI.
  4. Drewha

Drewha Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd be up for the Berkshire Triple. I'll ride what ever you you'all decide to ride.
  5. Bikenstitches

Bikenstitches Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Didja get your Duc going again?
  6. Drewha

Drewha Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No , no news on Ducati yet Tom. It'll probably be a winter project. A used motor and internals swap will be the way to go.
  7. Jerry Withajay

Oddometer:
    I have been trying to talk my neighbor into getting a bike.
    He is interested in woods/trail riding, no highway or long trips.

I thought a WRR would be a good bike for him to start out on,
    but he is thinking a new KTM 500 exc would be a good choice.

Is this too much power to start out on?
  8. akarob

akarob Rob

Oddometer:
    Id suggest a KTM 350, but one certainly could learn on a 500. Its just a beast of a bike. No need to upgrade after getting that. Honestly, if he wants to enjoy the learning process more, a previous gen KLX250 would be a great start.
  9. Twilight Error

Twilight Error Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer:
    The learning curve would be steep and loose, with lots of opportunity to break something expensive and/or painful. Smaller really *is* better (says the GS rider...)
  10. BificusRex

BificusRex Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does he have any riding experience? Even a m/c endorsement? Everyone seems to want or think they need a big bike instead of something smaller and moderately powered to learn on. I just don't understand. Assuming you need street legal I would push him toward a crf250L (new starting around $4500.00) or an older xr250L (or something similar), either of which will be easy on the wallet and allow for plenty of fun while riding. After a year or two trade up to something more fitting to the acquired skill level, but wtf do I know??
  11. Jerry Withajay

Oddometer:
    He does have a m/c endorsement... but is starting out...

I was thinking 500 is too much power too...
    maybe a new ktm 350 out of the box is not that crazy...

I am in the school of trying and buying up...vs. buying new at the top..once...

His big assumption is that if he wants to
    sell in a year or two... it will hold its value..
  12. Twilight Error

Oddometer:
    If that is his thinking, he's in the wrong segment of the hobby - he needs to get into cruisers. Riding in the woods = dropping your bike in the woods, as we all know, and not every drop is gentle on to a soft surface.
  13. Happy Seal

Happy Seal Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is no such thing as retaining value on a dualsport. He will lose 15 hundie right off the top. Hemay get in the woods and realize that sweatin in the swamp with flies stuck to his nose is not what he wants to do on a weekend.

A used street legal bike to learn on and then if he likes it in a year, upgrade then. Jmho.

Good luck.
  14. akarob

akarob Rob

Oddometer:
    I call dibs on it when he's too scared to ride it anymore.
  15. Twilight Error

Oddometer:
    Or worse, he's just hydro'd his engine and turned it into an expensive haul out of the woods.

The only DS rigs that retain any value are the big beemers, and only then if they aren't really ever taken off-road. I doubt I could get anyone to take mine without having to pay *them*...
  16. lilolita

lilolita fahr mit mir

Oddometer:
    Have him come to the next CNR to see a bunch of bikes. He may be able to try some out if he brings some good bourbon or scotch.

I vote for cheap DR350 :D
  17. Jerry Withajay

Oddometer:
    Does look like a sweet ride...

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/LypkccyFyws" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  18. Twilight Error

Oddometer:
    I'd even let him spin around on the GS, if only to learn why lighter is better.
  19. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Talk him into your wrr, and get yourself into something else:ear
  20. lilolita

lilolita fahr mit mir

Oddometer:
    ok kids, Berkshire Triple. Ride is Sunday, September 15. Do you want to primitive camp at the start (Saturday night) or get a spot(s) at Prospect Mountain like we did last spring? I know some of you darlings need showers and flush toilets.

I wouldn't mind two nights up there (camp Friday & Saturday nights), if only to get away from the trash-throwing pseudo-punks of south Prov.

What say all of you?