Need Help - South Africa Motocycle rental

Discussion in 'Africa & Mid East' started by BaroloMulti, May 8, 2014.

1. BaroloMulti

BaroloMulti n00b

Oddometer:
    Motorcycle rental South Africa - need help to find a rental company
    <hr style="color:#575757; background-color:#575757" size="1"> Dear All and Hello

I am Guenter from Germany. I just found yesterday this forum and took the chance to sign in as BaroloMulti.

We, my wife and I, are since many years on two wheels on the road. We have seen most of the European countries from the saddle of different motorcycles. As well as we made many Km’s on the Royal Enfield in India, Nepal and Bhutan.

For this year we have scheduled a South Africa trip – from Johannesburg to Cape Town. End of Oct. … November.

Ho has experiences with Motorcycle rentals – recommendations for rental companies?

It will be only a one way trip. To pick up the bike[​IMG] near Johannesburg and return the bike in Cape Town. Hope for some helpful advices.

Thanks Guenter
  2. BikeBrother

BikeBrother Motorisch gestoord...

Oddometer:
    Hi,

don't go to www.motorradrentals.com in johannesburg (or capetown). we rented last year 2 bikes there. they gave us other bikes then agreed. and after the trip they charged a lot for damage to the bikes that was not made...we still did not get our deposit back.

....:kboom
  3. ButchH

ButchH Adventurer

Oddometer:

Please visit www.wilddog.za.net/forum/ there are a bunch of us that may be able to help you with your planning as well as bike rental
  4. ButchH

ButchH Adventurer

Oddometer:

sent them a mail this is unacceptable lets see how they respond
  5. ButchH

ButchH Adventurer

Oddometer:

Received a response to my email from Motorrad Rentals. Seems like there is a bit more to the story than what is posted here
  6. Moto76man

Moto76man Moto Xplorer!

Oddometer:
    Hi Guenter, there are a couple of rental shops you can try :

www.karoo-biking.de
    www.motoberlin.com

They will both be able to assist you with a Johannesburg to Cape Town rental and have been around for more than 10 years each.

As for BikeBrother's comments - if you take care of a rental bike like you would do your own, you shouldn't have any problems. But don't expect them to go easy on you if you thrash their bikes!

South Africa is a great destination for bikers - enjoy your trip.
  7. Three Dawg

Three Dawg Into Africa

Oddometer:
    I've used SAMA Tours in Pretoria twice now. Top blokes- meet you at OR Tambo and take care of everything. http://www.samatours.co.za/ You'd have to check on the one way hire costs of course...
  8. Oldun

Oldun Definitely Older & Noticeably Slower

Oddometer:
    I am on a longish SA assignment. Was going to be 2 months, now 8... I checked into renting a bike longterm but the cost grew astronomical and so am looking to buy a second hand one and resell after use. I have a license, also an international license... but am looking for info on how to register a bike in SA while being a furriner living in a rental apartment. Any tricks or traps would appreciate knowing. Any insurance company recommendations likewise.
  9. ButchH

ButchH Adventurer

Oddometer:

Please visit http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?action=home you will get all the help you need there