2014 Honda CTX700 Threadfest

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by HondaFanatic, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Anteraan

Anteraan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sport-tourers, torture rack? For some certainly, but certainly not most. In fact, sport-tourers may just have the most biomechanically correct riding position for a healthy body without significant muscle imbalances.

Now, if one has bad knees, a bad back/neck, poor core strength, etc., then obviously those people will have issues with certain riding positions...but that's the rider's issue, not the machine's.

Bottom line: different strokes for different folks
  2. dogjaw

dogjaw plays well alone

Oddometer:
    This bike has no soul...
  3. eatpasta

eatpasta Lawnmower Target Supporter

Oddometer:

The more new stuff of theirs I see, the more and more I want to keep my twin CB400F's

:1drink
  4. GrahamD

GrahamD Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lately Honda USA have been. Maybe they are working on a CBR1000RRR Repsol Scooter right now.

Maybe a CBR1000RRR motard. Maybe a bit niche for them though.

Anyway, the NC series is not a huge seller in OZ right now. It's doing OK.

So different areas will have different sales profiles. Maybe US Honda just thinks that a "cruiser" version will be a better option in the US of A
  5. dirtdreamer50

dirtdreamer50 long time rider

Oddometer:
    I did the cycle-ergo comparison with the CTX, a Fury, and a Harley Fat Bob. The CTX had the most bend in the knees for my 30" inseam legs. For someone who wants to come off of a cruiser to a more standard bike, the CTX would be very unintimidating, with a similar seating arrangement, but very different styling and rider statement.

Since 50% of all bikes purchased are cruisers, Honda has a large pool of riders to urge to make a change to CTX's NC's, CB's, using "cruisers are no longer the cool ride" marketing campaign..... tomp
  6. JerryH

JerryH Vintage scooter/motorcycle enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    "Now, if one has bad knees, a bad back/neck, poor core strength, etc., then obviously those people will have issues with certain riding positions...but that's the rider's issue, not the machine's"

I have all those things and a lot more. But I still like to ride. I have done 2 Iron Butt SS1000s on my 750 cruiser, easily and without pain. I may try again, that was a few years ago. I am quite sure there are a lot of riders in my condition, and it is good to see someone actually making a bike we can ride. Not that there aren't a lot of comfortable cruisers out there, but after a lifetime of cruisers, I'm kind of ready for a different look, but still want comfort. I switched from an upright bicycle to a recumbent many years ago, and it was 10 times better. I finally had to give that up when my knees just couldn't handle pedaling for any distance any more. In fact, I may be looking at a left knee replacement.

As far as soul, no Japanese bike made today has soul. Actually very few bikes made today have soul. It has been replaced with plastic and electronics. If you want soul, you will have to get a vintage bike.
  7. ph0rk

ph0rk Doesn't Care

Oddometer:
    there is nothing better than vague meaningless terms like "soul" to describe a machine.
  8. mrbreeze

mrbreeze I keep blowing down the road

Oddometer:
    you're right, everyone is different. I had the privilege of putting a bunch of miles on Trophy 900's and 1200's. Great bikes, but I didn't like the lean onto the handlebars. Most cruisers AND most luxury tourers put you bang upright over the seat. Goldwings and Electra Glides are favorites of the IBA crowd. A friend of mine did 1600 miles on his E-Glide a few years ago.

I am sure Honda knows much more about what most riders consider a comfortable ride. Unfortunately they are all "one size fits all" until the owner starts changing things around to better fit them. I'm thinking the CTX700 needs a floorboard kit. :lol3
  9. dirtdreamer50

dirtdreamer50 long time rider

Oddometer:
    The DN and the CTX are rather close to one another. Me, at 5'10" 30" inseam...Seat height and seat location on sub frame changes knee bend, about all the differences easily seen. Arm and hand locations are very similar. The DN has floor boards, mrbreeze. Maybe they will fit the CTX, too

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. mrbreeze

mrbreeze I keep blowing down the road

Oddometer:

illegal clicks ???:lol3
  11. Sic Semper Tyrannis

Sic Semper Tyrannis Plays with Banjos, Boats and Bikes...

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Ug....
  12. wpbarlow

wpbarlow Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I specifically said "pretty much" all the new bikes. Pay attention :lol3
  13. cbolling

cbolling Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer:
    I have to say that I like the design. Cruiser comfort but with good wind protection and more practicality.

Seems like a great all around motorcycle.
  14. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    If anyone has seen my posts then you know I am a HUGE Honda fan. But all I can say is WTF Honda? It's terrible... Just terrible...

Just kidding!
    I think Honda is on all fronts right now. This is a great replacement to the late Nighthawk 750.
  15. M3-SRT8

M3-SRT8 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Exactly. I ordered one. With ABS.

Some reviewers complain that it's TOO good, too perfect, and lacks 'character."

I suppose if it had some braking or handling glitch, or leaked oil, or didn't start when it should, it would be more 'attractive.'

Honda makes some attractive product, but not enough. I agree that most of their product is rather mundane.

But all of it is of the highest quality.
  16. JerryH

JerryH Vintage scooter/motorcycle enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    The problem with most new bikes is that they are no longer really machines. They are a mass of plastic, emissions crap and computer circuits. Back in the '60s and earlier they really were machines. They were made of metal, and everything on them was mechanical except for the rudimentary ignition and lighting systems. My Genuine Stella is like that, that is why I love it so much. Despite being made in India, it still has soul. It is metal, and has absolutely nothing on it that it does not need. And it is beautiful. It's style is part of it''s design, not added on top with plastic panels. Vintage British bikes are like that, Sportsters are like that, other than on late models they are not all machine, they have electronic parts too, which kind of kills the "soul"

As for Honda going after new riders, that is not a bad idea if they intend to survive. Most of todays young people would choose an iPhone, iPad, iPod, or a MacBook over a motorcycle. Sad but true. But I see these bikes as going after older riders as well, riders who would otherwise be on cruisers. This gives them another option. The population is aging, and not nearly as many riders can tolerate the "sport" riding position. They might also bring back some riders who gave it up because they didn't like cruisers for some reason. I can't see this being anything but a "win" for Honda.

As for the "parts bin engineering" that is a great idea. Keep the proliferation of parts to a minimum. Maybe parts will be available longer. Triumph did it this way, with their modular engines. Ford has been doing it forever. Many parts that fit the early Mustangs also fit my '64 Fairlane. The entire drivetrain, steering, suspension, and brakes are the same, and have the same part numbers.
  17. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    :photog

:lol3

:rofl

:poser

:oscar

:jack
  18. ObiJohn

ObiJohn Screaming Banshee

Oddometer:
    I have a DN-01, and must be one of the few people who actually like the thing for comfortable cruising on shorter trips. Yes, after a couple hundred miles one starts to get uncomfortable, but I find this to be true on my FJR1300 also. Around town, in stop-and-go traffic or on city streets, the DN-01 is a joy to ride... fast enough but not fast enough to get you into trouble accidentally, and it handles remarkably well at low speeds. The CTX700 is the same riding position, and with the DCT it has the same functionality. I'll ride one, but I don't see getting rid of my DN-01.

JerryH, I also went the route from conventional road bike to recumbent (Bacchetta Aero Ti) and rode it for several years including multiple one-day double centuries (STP). I quit riding a few years ago because of knee pain and was dreading an operation, and then started to do air squats/hindu squats. I used to have serious knee pain to the point where I couldn't run on a treadmill, couldn't do leg presses on a machine, even had pain going down stairs or getting in and out of a car. I can do sets of 10 squats all day now, and maybe 75 without stopping, and the knee pain is gone. I had shoulder issues, also, and Hindu pushups have gotten rid of those... started off being able to do maybe 8 and can now do 40. Look on Amazon for 'Combat Conditioning' and follow the simple workout program, and if you haven't damaged your joints too badly it should work for you also. I believe the knee and shoulder issues were caused by asymmetrical development caused by too much specific, limited range-of-motion exercises.

I applaud Honda for realizing that the big US market out there isn't for guys looking for a sports bike, or wannabe pirates, but instead for normal middle-aged folks, many who are new to motorcycles, who don't want to look like a Hells Angel or a resident of SF's Castro district on a Friday night. These people are looking for an easy-to-ride, economical, unscary motorcycling experience so they can ride with their friends, and they've been buying things like Can-Ams, etc., and maybe want to move to two wheels. Or, they may be looking for a commuting vehicle that is fun to ride and very economical... and again not scary or stereotype-casting. The DN-01 was a good try, but not for $15K. I bought mine at right around $8K new, as a holdover from a dealer who wanted to get off it and was incented by Honda. They would have sold at $8K, and the new CTX700s will sell at that price, too.
  19. GrahamD

GrahamD Long timer

Oddometer:
    Simple solution.

Put an iPod / Pad / Phone / Android dock on the thing and give them a Bike App. That'll get them in. The Phones probably have more processing power than 6 high end Ducati suspension systems anyway.

Then include a "soul" control as well for the old farts.

Big sign on the side saying IOS6 and Android 4 compatible only. You might not know what the F^&*(k that means but they will.

They won't know it but the next time they upgrade the phone the bike will stop working.

The bike will only be available free with a 3 year subscription plan.

Geez I should be running Honda I reckon. :freaky

Here is a picture of me thinking.
    [​IMG]
  20. ken robert

ken robert Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had vintage bikes when they were the state of the art motorcycles. Like my BSA twin carb Lightning. I heard the same shit about it not having "soul" 45 years ago. It always was and still remains righteous BS. Go for a ride and uplift your own soul.