Ask Woody About Your Wheels

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by woody's wheel works, Jun 17, 2006.

1. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    Woody,
    Looking for an "about how much".
    F800GS. Front. Replace with an Excel using original hub.
    Thanks
  2. omnivore

omnivore SuperSportTourer

Oddometer:
    Woody-Not ADV specific by any means.

Got an old 75 Honda CB400F SuperSport. Looking to retro mod it to fit 17" radial tires (110/70/17 front & 140 or 150/70/17 rear). This tire size is commonnow on Yamaha's WR 250 motard, so I am sure I can find good rubber in those sizes. This would allow me to keep the retro look but run modern rubber. My other option would be to swap out the forks and all for a modern front end and use sportbike wheels, but that'd really take away the retro look. I guess I am looking at the DUcati SPort Classic type of look with their 17" wheels.

If I were to disassemble the stock wheels and send hubs to you, what do you think can be done with wider 17" rims and new spokes on the ancient hubs? How narrow a rim can be run to use the tire sizes I mentioned above (3"F and 4" R?)? Maybe a bronze coloured rim? If not, black would do.
  3. woody's wheel works

woody's wheel works Built to Last Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    circrca $270 depending on what rim we use recycling your spokes and lace pattern

circa $400 for superlace,,,beefy sss spokes n nipples +one year warranty against loosening spokes

:beer
    woody
  4. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    first tell me how much room you have between the fork legs and swing-arm in the general area where a 17 ''tire would make contact...

holler:thumb

woody
  5. Bruce Caldwell

Bruce Caldwell Long timer

Oddometer:
    Holy Shit!, I'm practically speachless. Just sat down to drink a cup of coffee before I go to work & thought i'd ask Woody a question for my brother & to my great surprise, My Very Own Wheels Right Before My Very Own Eyes. You & your crew have out done yourselves! My Wheels are absolutely beautiful. I know the pics don't compare to seeing them in the flesh. THANK YOU WOODY, ZACK & STAFF! Can't wait till thursday or so. By the way, not that it matters much, but my bike is an 1100 not an 1150.
    Now to the question for my bro. Woody, my brother has a Ducati Hypermotard S, the hotted up version with the Marchesini forged wheels. They are painted/powder coated black in stock form. He wants to know if they could be anodized gold? If not, what about powder coating? Thanks again.
  6. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    i figured we owed ya one,,,being as patient and impatient as you were...:wink:

thanks for the correction,,,it won't affect the outcome,,but i corrected it .

we could certainly handle your brothers request either way...we have far more control over the color outcome by powder-coating,,,since every alloy has a different result when anodizing....:uhoh,,,circa $150-200 depending on how hard your old stuff is to get off.,,,FYI...it cost you a little more with us because we NEVER...EVER sandblast any alloy components....sand although super quick n easy ruins the components,,eats an extraordinary amount of metal away with every swipe...we use a mixture of button hole chips and aluminum oxide as well as glass beads in our media blasters.

your wheels will be detailed and shipped today:thumb

woody
  7. nytrashman

nytrashman old and in the way

Oddometer:
    woody, any idea when my wheels will be shipped back to me?

George
    Buchanan NY
  8. Ricardo Kuhn

Ricardo Kuhn a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer:
    Minneapolis (don't even ask how i end up here.
    Woody in all his Grace loan me a set of wheels until I can get my own..

What else can you say but.. :loco

To make a Altar front and center for everybody to see.
    [​IMG]

Gracias Senor, Hecho de Palo
  9. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    your rim is at anodiser,,, should be back in time to build and send out this friday,,sorry,,we just got swamped and had guys out sick,,,we didn't forget you:wink:

woody
  10. nytrashman

nytrashman old and in the way

Oddometer:
    thanks Woody, can't wait to see them.

George
  11. sellmeyer

sellmeyer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Woody,

I'm not sure if your website prices are accurate...can you confirm that I am looking at ~$400 for a new 1.6x21 Excel black rim, s/s spokes and nipples, superlaced to my front hub?

thanks
  12. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    oh lordy sellmeyer...

i haven't looked at that website in a coons age...we are rebuilding it because no one but cRash knows the code to modify or add/change anything in it...:cry

i think the problem with your 640 frront rim is it has the euro lace pattern

so we have to custom drill a silver rim circa$150 add $75 to strip and anodize black,,spoke kits are circa $105-125 dependingon ss or zartan nipples superlace is $99=$429-449..as close as i can get off th etop of mu ol head at this hour of the night:wink:

woody
  13. sellmeyer

sellmeyer Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I'd be content with whatever spoke pattern is dictated by my hub; its actually a 950 hub...forget which year right now.

In any case I wanted to know what ballpark I was in so I could budget accordingly.

-thanks
  14. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    some of your stuff has value to somebody:thumb
    we've helped more than one soul unload stuff,,,
    woody
  15. Bok Befok

Bok Befok Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Woody wheels between a 06 KTM 950 and 07 KTM990(ABS). Is the hubs the same. will the 06 wheels fit the 07 with ABS. I know i need to change the rotors. Is everything else the same?
  16. Gangplank

Gangplank Advenchaintourer

Oddometer:
    Ok, similar question. F800GS.... I've got another month or two in Reno before riding season. I have a few dings in the stock 21" front from riding hard off-raod. Here are my questions:

Front: Looks like est $400 for new (next size narrower?) excel rim w/ superlace.
    1) I know you recomend a bit narrower right? What size is stock and what is recommended?. Not excited about narrower on streets but if less chance of a bent rim I'll do it.
    2) I want to either go tubless or run the "tubliss" system in the front. What is my best option(s) here and prices? Assume we reuse my front hub.

Rear: I want a tubless conversion. So do I convert to 18" rear rim? How much if I re-use my stock hub?

I'll take my answers off the air. Thanks Woody!! :D
  17. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    :beer
    woody
  18. Gangplank

Gangplank Advenchaintourer

Oddometer:
    Ok, so I am clear on price here.

Front: Go it. I'd go to the 1.85 x 21 rim & reuse my hub. So price = either $270 for rim if I use my spokes and lace pattern or $400 to upgrade to superlace and SSS spokes and nipples. Right? Other options between? Recommendation for a 60/40 road/street rider. Thinking the $270 is good for me here.

Rear: Just to clarify here - Is the $99 to convert my rear rim to tubless? Is that sealing my nipples and if so is it study enough for off road? Or is that an 18" rim too? If no, then how much for the 18" rim laced onto my hub - keep in mind I'd still want it tubless and which option is better or worse?
  19. Bok Befok

Bok Befok Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Appreciate your help
  20. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    PS..if ya go with a 19''up front ,,,you could just stay with your 17 rear,,get it trued up circa $55 and seal it for $99.... doing a 60/40 ride split would work with this provided the 40 is geared to fire-roads...remember people take their 19/17 oem shod wheels in the roughest of terrain..ya just can't go too fast!!!

woody