6 Days of Riding in Turkey w/o any plan.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by kobold, Oct 7, 2008.

1. kobold

kobold Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello,

I was lurker for a while and I decided to write a ride report. This is my first time so be gentle. Also, English is not my native language so please accept my apologies for any grammer mistakes and typos.

Ok, now about me and the ride report. I am from Turkey and there was a big holiday last month. So, I travelled 2750 kms with my r1200 gsa around Turkey without any plans for 6 days.

1st Day

I left my home in Ankara and ended my day in a hostel in Kapadokya (Cappadocia).

[​IMG]

This is the Tuz Golu (Salt Lake) which is in Central Anatolia and on my way to Kapadokya (Cappadocia). It hosts many birds during summer including flamingos. It is in danger because of the bad management of water sources around the lake.

[​IMG]

Another view of Tuz Golu (Salt Lake)

[​IMG]

This is Hiranfli Dam (for hydroelectric power). As I said I rode without any plans so I changed my route to see this dam. Also, It is kinda side route for my final destination.

[​IMG]

The main advantage of this side route is; having no traffic like this lonely road. Most of the people in Turkey decided to go to southern coast so there was a rush in the main road.

[​IMG]

Still the lonely road which made me grin from the joy of riding in a road like this. (without any cages)

[​IMG]

This is Kizil Irmak (Red River or River Halys). It was a border for many ancient Anatolian civilizations and many wars fought on both sides of the river and Aleander, the Great followed this river after cutting Gordion Knot and resting in Ankara (Ancyra) for a while . Now it is polluted. :(

[​IMG]

This is Zelve in Kapadokya (Cappadocia) and the famous fairy chimneys. These fairy chimneys are volcanic rocks which have been shaped by wind and water in millions of years.

[​IMG]

Sunset in Zelve. My visit to Kapadokya was short because I have been there several times. But Kapadokya has many many more things to see. One of the main tourstic attractions in Turkey.

[​IMG]

Another view from Zelve.

[​IMG]

This is the room I slept. It is a room carved into the same volcanic rocks. It is really common for this region's hotels and hostels.

This is the end of first day.
  2. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    that's the best kind of riding...... go where you feel like :thumb

:lurk
  3. kobold

kobold Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2nd Day.

[​IMG]

I woke up early and left the Kapadokya (Cappadocia). This is a last view from it.

[​IMG]

I headed south without knowing where to end my day. Road was still free from any cages.

[​IMG]

This is a view of the Toros (Taurus) mountain range. When I saw them, I decided to ride deeper into the mountains, into the dirt roads.

[​IMG]

The dirt roads was nice but riding the pig in these muddy roads alone, made me feel uneasy after a while. So I decided to turn back. (me, not a really good dirt rider.)

[​IMG]

Turning back to where I came.

[​IMG]

This is me after having lunch, watching mountain scenery. I decided to come back here with a lighther bike in the summer to explore it deeper.

[​IMG]

Same mountain range. After taking this picture, nearly an hour later, it started raining. So this is the last pic I took from this day. Not a devoted photographer either i guess. :)

I ended my day in Mersin at 8 o'clock. It was still raining and I stopped at the first hotel I saw and parked my bike. A couple in Honda CBF 1000 came and parked beside me. They were looking for a hotel too and decided to stop in this hotel because they saw me in front of it. I was really tired so I went up my room and slept immediately.
  4. AusStealth

AusStealth Bohican

Oddometer:
    Hi Kobold, good write up and an interesting mix of road conditions.
  5. kobold

kobold Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    3rd day

In the breakfast, I met with the couple I met yesterday. They were heading the same direction with me, to Antakya (Antiochia). So, we decided to travel together till Antakya but first we visited Tarsus. (The ancient capital of Cilicia.)

[​IMG]

This is the restored Cleopatra Gate. It is said that Mark Antony and Cleopatra first met here. It is restored badly.

[​IMG]

We met another couple, a German couple, on the road. Helmut is over his 70's and riding a 25 year old R100RT. It was fun to ride with them after 2 days solitary riding.

[​IMG]

We visited the beach in Antakya, Samandagi. The day before we arrived here, there was a flood and roads were in really bad condition but it worthed.

[​IMG]

Sunset.

[​IMG]

Another view.

[​IMG]

Antakya is famous with its delicious meals. These tables are really good for summer but it was cold so we ate inanother place,in a more sheltered place. The meals were delicous and Raki (a traditional alcholoic beverage of Turkey) was good. So, I ended the day drunk.
  6. Rum Runner

Rum Runner n00b

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to more of this adventure.
  7. funhouse

funhouse Overdue

Oddometer:
    great trip............pix............Bruce
  8. dillinger09

dillinger09 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Richmond, Va physically. Mentally still in CO
    someday i will visit your country........someday
  9. kobold

kobold Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    4th Day

The next day, our newly founded group disbanded. I decided to head west, Turkish Couple decided to go east (which I would like to hear their part of the adventure.) and German Couple headed to, I dont know where. :) Riding to west means riding to mediterranian coast, to hotter weather.

[​IMG]

I found this place by following the road sings from the coastal road. This is Kanlidivane (Canytellis) which is the religious capital of ancient Olba kingdom (B.C. 400-300) These are carvings on the wall of hollow.

[​IMG]

This is a basilica. It might be a church, hall of juctice (roman) or royal place. Probably used for each purpose in different ages.

[​IMG]

A pillar from the same basilica.

After spending an hour in Kanlidivane. (Canytellis), continued my riding from the coast.

[​IMG]

This is Kizkalesi (Korykos) in Erdemli, Mersin. It is first built around B.C. 400 and used by Romans, Byzantians, Seljuks and Ottomans. It has no connection to the land. According to the legend, an oracle predicted that daugther of the king would die because of a snake bite. So, the king ordered to build a fortress in the sea to protect his daughter. However, she has been bitten by snake which hided in a grape basket.

[​IMG]

Actually there are two fortresses, one on the shore, one on the island. They were built to defend the city of Korykos. They were destroyed several times and each time they were built from the remains of the city. So, now there is no city but only fortresses.

[​IMG]

This is a place I always wanted to see, Heaven Hollow. It is not far from Kizkalesi. It is a huge hollow and it has a sister, a 120m deep, Hell hollow. I climbed down and up in Heaven Hollow by 500 steps which makes it more like hell. I looked down to Hell Hollow from a balcony which makes it more heavenly after tiresome climb from Heaven Hollow.

[​IMG]

This is Virgin Mary Church nearly in the bottom of the Heaven Hollow.

[​IMG]

It goes deeper and it becomes slippery because of the clayey mud. I fell down twice but I was AGATT. :)

[​IMG]

This is another fortress, Mamure Fortress. It is 1700 years old and all of its walls and towers are intact. (not restored). It is really hard to find a well - preserved fortress like this.

[​IMG]

A view from the highest point in the fortress.

[​IMG]

A view of the walls.

I ended the day in Side, Antalya. A very touristy place. It is a place I really like to stay. Both past and present lives together side by side. But sorry, I dont have any picture. (lazy, lazy me...)
  10. SpitfireTriple

SpitfireTriple Seek Truth

Oddometer:
    Stunning images Kobold. Simply stunning. The skies in particular are breath-taking. What camera are you using BTW?

Back in August I rode from Britain to Istanbul, then down to Assos (Behram) before getting the ferry at Cannakale across to Gallipoli (Gelibolu) and on to Greece. I really really wanted to see more of Turkey but the trip took me nearly 6 weeks as it was! Your photos, though, have only strengthened my determination to return to Turkey one day.

There's a link to my Tour below.
  11. Juniorka

Juniorka Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :clap Great, no plans - the best way to do it!
  12. Drowsy Dave

Drowsy Dave Square Peg, No Hole

Oddometer:
    Wow. :clap

Great pics, Kobold. Turkey is a beautiful country with so much history you could spend a life time exploring and learning.

Thanks for taking the time to post your report.
  13. kobold

kobold Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you for your nice comments Gadget Boy, Rum Runner, Funhouse, Dilinger09, SpitfireTriple, Juniorka,Drowsy Dave. If any of you or any advrider visits Turkey, especially Ankara, send me a pm. I would like to host you and show you around.

SpitfireTriple, I use Canon Eos 400D and Sigma 17-70 mm f:2.8-4.5 lens. Yours is a great trip too.
  14. Incredulous

Incredulous Peanut Gallery Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow Kobold, amazing scenery, fascinating ruins and fantastic pics! Turkey just made the short list.:1drink

(Runs off to talk the lady into going to Turkey.)
  15. kobold

kobold Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    5th Day

My fifth day started with a visit to Manavgat waterfall. It is a small waterfall, not far from Side. The weather was hot and sunny. (At least for a few hours)

[​IMG]

Mainly, it is an attraction for local tourists but still it was too crowded and I dont like crowded places so I took a picture and took my leave from Manavgat Waterfall.

[​IMG]

My dad strongly advised me to see Sagalassos. It is an ancient city at nearly 1400-1700 m high. This is a mountain pass on the way and a nice place for a break. After this pass it started to rain and it rained till i reached Sagalassos. When I reached the main entrance of Sagalassos, rain got heavier. By luck ,after 10 mins, with a strong wind, rain clouds moved and let me to tour Sagalassos.

[​IMG]

Sagalassos is in the lake district of Turkey. It has been inhabited from Neolithic times (B.C. 9000) till A.D. 600. Hittities, Luwinas, Phyrigians, Pisidians, Lydians, Romans inhabited this city and you could see influence of each civilization in this city. People left Sagalassos at the end of 6th century because of an earthquake and from the plague. It remained hidden from eyes of archeologists, historians and thiefs for nearly 1000 years till an British Archeologist discovers it at 1706. But still first excavations started at 1980's. Most important thing about this ancient city is; it is never plundered by thiefs or to supply materails for buildings. Archeologists restored and are restoring many buildings with the original remains. Now, It is one of the largest interdisciplinary archeological projects in the Mediterranian.

[​IMG]

This is a restored Hellenistic fountain building. They even found the original water source for this fountain and you can drink. Behind the fountain, the Neon Library.

[​IMG]

This is the stage of amfi-theater. It is the highest amfi-theater known.

[​IMG]

Its capacity is around 9000 people.

[​IMG]

A general view of amfi-theater.

[​IMG]

The Neon Library is built by a man named T. Flavius Severianus Neon to honor his ancestors at A.D. 120.

[​IMG]

This is a Northwest Heroon ( shrine dedicated to an ancient Greek or Roman hero and was used for the commemoration or worship of the hero - This part is from wikipedia.) and it is dedicated to Reign of Augustus (B.C. 25 - A.D. 14)

[​IMG]

These are the remains of city council. (B.C. 1st century)

[​IMG]

Antonine Nymphaeum. It was built to consecrate the nymphs. (Very very beautifull mithological creatures in human female form but I havent seen any around.:( )

[​IMG]

Another view of Antonine Nymphaeum. The columns (like the one right of the pic and there are remains of several others) were built to honor local benefactors and had statues of them on the top.

[​IMG]

A general view of Sagalassos's upper agora.

[​IMG]

A general view of lower agora.

As soon as, I finished touring Sagalassos, It started to rain again. I ended my 5th day in Egridir which is a city near lake. I felt sad before I went to sleep because this was the last night of my trip. Though I feel sad at the end of each motorcycle trip.
  16. Stormcoming

Stormcoming Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    great pictures....

:rayof :clap
  17. kobold

kobold Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    6th Day

6th Day started with rain and it nearly rained for 4-5 hours. Probably because the rain clouds headed the same direction I headed. So I took a few pics on the 6th day.

[​IMG]

Lake Egridir. 4th biggest lake in Turkey. In a sunny day, nice place to visit and eat.

[​IMG]

Another view of Lake Egridir and Egridir city. It was raining while I took these pics.

[​IMG]

This pic could be the summary of 6th day of the trip. Rain, rain and more rain. Mainly it is because I couldnt outdistance the rain clouds. In the end, I got used to them, they became more like a companion to me.

So, this is end of my 6 day trip and I hope you enjoyed my ride report and again thanks for your comments.

Cheers,
    Kobold
  18. Capotourer

Capotourer CapoNoMore

Oddometer:
    Another Turk that makes me miss my Home Country. Kobold thank you for the great pictures, btw your english rocks and you should be a professional photographer. Great scenery and thanks for sharing!!!!!:clap
  19. arres

arres Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice report :clap Thanks for sharing. And also it's good to see another Turkish riders posting here.
  20. seantx

seantx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Every time I see pictures of all the wonderful sights and history in Turkey it just takes me away. Actually it makes me want to do REALLY irresponsible things to both my job and a credit card. :evil

Excellent report and pictures of your beautiful homeland.