21 days exploring Baja

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Moto Vaquero, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Moto Vaquero

Moto Vaquero Trail less traveled

Oddometer:
    So I fell into a funk where I was bored and depressed and I knew this was one of those that was going to take more than a bottle or friends or even getting laid was going to cure. This has happened before so I know what the medication is, ADRENALINE! The last time I got into one like this, I took up desert racing and that cured it though I have a few superficial permanent wounds to the body to show for it.

I had bought a fresh '06 KTM 525 with only 900 miles and 55 hrs on it in premo condition about a week before I came up with the spontaneous idea of riding down to Cabo and back solo with as much dirt and challenging routes as I could come up with within reason. I spent about a year setting up the bike the way I wanted it, prepping me, not so much because of the riding part but if the shit hit the fan and I had to walk for 20 or 30 miles through the desert I was going to be up to the task. It's not so important if you're with other riders who can help get you out. I also spent a lot of time on google earth and some Baja sites getting ideas on places to stay the night along the way since I was traveling light with no camping gear.

I had a couple of friends that decided that they wanted to ride a few days with me so this trip was not going to be entirely solo. Lenny was going to ride from Tecate to Bahia de Los Angeles and Paul was riding from San Ignacio to La Paz.

So, with no further ado, Day 1

[​IMG]

The bike
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lenny n me (Scott) taking off at Tecate
    View attachment 2193814
    [​IMG]

My first acquaintance
    View attachment 2193815
    [​IMG]

This abandoned place is the size of a football field. We rode up the ramp and checked it out.
    View attachment 2193818
    [​IMG]

This sign tells all. Something about juvenile drug and alcohol rehab
    View attachment 2193820
    [​IMG]

Lenny gets stuck in a crack while playing trials rider at Laguna Hansen
    View attachment 2193826
    [​IMG]

Getting gas at Ramona's. She was inside not feeling well. Ramona passed away shortly after. RIP Ramona
    View attachment 2193834
    [​IMG]

After riding through the pine forest and down the goat trail we rewarded ourselves with...yup, tacos!
    View attachment 2193835
    [​IMG]

Lenny knows when a camera is near. Laguna Diablo

[​IMG]

Jose is 92 yrs old and sells cold Tecate from his shack at the lakebed. Next closest beer, 20 miles.
    [​IMG]

Dead cow, dead Lenny and dead KTM. Luckily two of them will see the light of another day.
    [​IMG]

San Filipe
    [​IMG]

Margi's, cervesas y tacos, it's all good...until this little old codger comes up with his electrocution gizmo and taunts you with "puzzy, puzzy, puzzy" until you man up and grab his electrodes while he cranks it up:yikes Man, I wish I got a photo of that.
    [​IMG]

End of day 1

Attached Files:

2. Dan Diego

Dan Diego Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK, sure, I'm in. Let's see the rest.

Been to a few of those places. Drank the cold Tecates out of the shack,from the ice chest he keeps chained and locked shut...even between beers.

Bring it on, brother.
    FlyingDutchman likes this.
  3. Just Paul

Just Paul Pro Cat Herder

Oddometer:
    Looks like a great trip ! Keep on rockin !
  4. Moto Vaquero

Oddometer:
    He only does that when he sees the KLR guys riding in:D

Thanks Paul. It gets more interesting further south.
  5. Johnnydarock

Johnnydarock Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great so far! Let's see more pictures of the roads.
  6. Spacelord

Spacelord Mutha Mutha

Oddometer:
    mas, por favor
  7. rootsy

rootsy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    sounds like potent medicine for what ails you. enjoy the journey. I'm taking notes!
  8. Dan Diego

Dan Diego Long timer

Oddometer:
  9. LittleWan

LittleWan You can do it!

Oddometer:
    Hey, hey!
    Hola "Sancho" :evil

Did you break the "curse of the Scotts" down in Baja?? :ear

Gotta see if you "out taco'd us..." too.
    117 :deal

IN!
  10. Moto Vaquero

Oddometer:

Hola to you Wan!
    I put the hurt'n to the tacos though I think you guys still hold the record there.

As far as the "Scott curse" goes....you'll just have to wait to see:wink:
  11. Moto Vaquero

Oddometer:
    Day 2

Today was going to be a short day since we were only riding down to Gonzaga Bay 105 mi and tomorrow was going to be more challenging so we took our time getting going. We had enough beers and margaritas last night at the Mirimar Club to slow us down a bit this morning anyways. We dropped by Iguanas for a bit last night but since it was Monday night after Easter week known as Semana Santa down there, the third string talent was out and butt ugly to say the least.

After a delicious breakfast at the El Cortez hotel where we stayed last night, I got to the task of richening up my jetting a bit as I could tell that it was running a tad on the lean side. Lean is not good anywhere and definitely not in Baja.

The new paved hwy was almost to Gonzaga now but we wanted to stay off it as much as we could at least to Puertecitos, which is a little more than half way down.

South of SF near Percebu. Let's ride the beach!
    We rode about 10 miles of this

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cap'n Lenny Land Lubber
    [​IMG]

He couldn't resist the cow car

[​IMG]

We couldn't avoid the black doom. Looking south, Gonzaga Bay is on the other side of the furthest point here.
    [​IMG]

The shrimp tacos at Alfonsinas are to die for
    [​IMG]

View from the room - north
    [​IMG]

...and view south. There are some palapas you can rent for the night along the bay if you're camping it.
    [​IMG]

Redneck coolers or in this case, improvising
    [​IMG]

End day 2
  12. AdventurePoser

AdventurePoser Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't you love Alfonsina's?

[​IMG]
    Bosnaexpress and drex like this.
  13. hwunger

hwunger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    yes yes yes .... more Baja please .... preparing to go :clap
  14. davesupreme

davesupreme grand poobah

Oddometer:
    oh, yeah!.....:freaky:freaky:freaky
  15. dlh62c

dlh62c Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cool!

It works just fine.
  16. longtallsally

longtallsally Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer:
    Heading down for just a couple days on the big bike to do your first 2 day route (minus the deep sand).

You are motivating me to get the 450 up to snuff to head with Paul next year!
  17. Moto Vaquero

Oddometer:
    Nice, I'll post up day 3's route then.

Sweet! This next section (Day 3) is definitely for the 4fiddy.
  18. Moto Vaquero

Oddometer:
    Day 3, Gonzaga Bay to Bay of Los Angeles

Today was going to be much more interesting. I have ridden this several times over the years so I knew what to expect but this was all new to Lenny.

We gassed up at the Pemex at Gonzaga the night before and Lenny needed to carry an extra gallon since it would be too close with his 3.1 ga tank. Mine is a 4.1 ga Safari so I would be okay. There is also a tienda (store) across the road from the pemex that carries quite a bit of stuff kinda like a speedy mart here...oh just dated myself there.

Alfonsinas needs some competition which will happen with the new road. The old man will tell you there are no rooms when there are several vacancies just so he can try to jack the price up:dealor he just likes to see you squirm a bit. This goes on often here.

We rode across the valley to the start of Mine Road. What was once a "road" resembles anything but a road now as you will see.

[​IMG]

Sunrise on Gonzaga Bay
    [​IMG]

We ride through Gonzaga Valley to the hills. We don't go up the canyon straight ahead but the one to the left. Lenny hauls ass past the turn we need to take so I take a 10 min break and wait for him to get back.
    [​IMG]

Mine Road starts off a bit sandy
    [​IMG]

So Lenny says; " I hate rid'n in f'n sand, I'm much better in the rocks". About 20ft later he slams a rock and falls over. Man was I busting up, he set that up perfect. Only a dent to his muffler (and his pride) were the only damage.
    [​IMG]

More sand
    [​IMG]

Mine Road gives you a break...for a bit
    [​IMG]

...until this... I actually like riding rocks to a degree, as long as the bike doesn't get too hot. No problems here.
    [​IMG]

We then rode through Calamajue Wash where I apparently forgot I had a camera then on to Window Rock Trail. You can see Lenny if you look close.
    [​IMG]

The trails namesake
    [​IMG]

It's amazing how much vegetation there is in the desert. This is a very pretty area.
    Bill Nichols created this trail and in march of '03 I was lucky enough to bump into him at Catavina where he asked if I wanted to go riding with him and check out his new trail. "Hell Yah" I said. It was only a tire wide in most places and I ended up with many cactus thorns through my hand guards, boots, knee guards, etc.
    [​IMG]

Bahia de Los Angeles...ohh yah
    [​IMG]

We stayed at Guerrmos where we enjoyed several margaritas y cervesas. Lenny's wife Kara and their friends met us there to take Lenny home. They were going to spend a day fishing as well. Tomorrow I'm on my own.
    [​IMG]
    End of day 3
    flying.moto likes this.
  19. Moto Vaquero

Oddometer:
    Day 4 BOLA to San Francisquito

So today I'm on my own. It actually invigorates me to be on the trail mono y mono with Baja. I get started early headed towards San Francisquito so I can spend some time chillin on the bay...that was an understatement.

[​IMG]

Sunrise on Bahia de Los Angeles. My favorite
    [​IMG]

A buddy to share it with
    [​IMG]

The old jailhouse down the road
    [​IMG]

The start of the Green Door trail
    [​IMG]

I had missed my turn and came to this rancho where I met Martilda. He has a wife and three kids. I don't know how he scratches a living out here but I have mucho respect for him. I gave him some stickers for his kids and he told me the turn was about a kilometer back and down a little wash.[​IMG]

On the right track now
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Rosa at San Francisquito. She runs the place, makes fish tacos and supplies the beer:thumb
    [​IMG]

An earthquake a couple years ago still leaves it's mark
    [​IMG]

My bungalow on the beach
    [​IMG]

Nice
    [​IMG]

There was nobody around but the pelicans, splashing fish and a glimpse of Rosa once in a while. Muy tranquilo
    [​IMG]

The reflection of the sunset, to the east
    [​IMG]
    End of day 4
  20. motoged

motoged Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    MV,
    Gracias, amigo.....can't have enough Baja RR's :deal :clap:clap:clap

:ear....