2012/2013 Ice riding/Racing thread

Discussion in 'Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carp' started by crankshaft, Nov 7, 2012.

1. baiku

baiku Maniacal Engineer

Oddometer:
    Thanks!! Now I have a shopping list.
  2. natedog39

natedog39 Borderline Beefcake

Oddometer:
    Dunlop K490 is the front tire of choice for almost,if not all tire builders as well.
    Nice big blocky knobs.

I built my front myself with one and it works very well.
  3. theothersean

theothersean dirty boy

Oddometer:
    also buy a few more screws than you think you will need so that you can replace ones that do back out . If memory serves me 1000 will do a front and rear with a hand full of spares , but that is a fuzzy memory , your results may vary .

and get a 1/4 " T handle or nut driver so that in between lap sessions you can check your screws and turn in any that are beginning to back out .
  4. Xmoto

Xmoto Death Race

Oddometer:
  5. EvilClown

EvilClown Standing by to standby for a possible disregard Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    From a few years ago...
    I ran the Shinko 520 with MF44s on the rear. Believe I ran Bridgestone ED77 on the front.
  6. B-Rod

B-Rod RubberNecker

Oddometer:
    Those guys split. Marcel Fournier is on his own, with his own screws. I have mine, and I will be rebuilding another Shinko 520 for a friend. Bad advice on tire pressure tore the knows. My only complaint with the Shinko 520 is the wimpy side knobs. I bought the MF1 front screws, and screwed up a Bridgestone M403. You don't really have to get too fancy with the front tire. It has never once threatened to lose grip. The front Fredette I have has an overkill amount of screws at all kinds on fancy angles, which is grippy, but overkill.

Got my Fournier tire ready to mount. I bought a 21"/19" cheap wheel set just for the ice tires. I'm all new this season. New (50 hour) 530, new tank, and faded orange rims. Now if I only lived 1500 miles closer to you guys.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

<iframe frameborder="0" scrolling="no" width="640" height="360" src="https://api.smugmug.com/services/embed/1663156236_DJXnVV5?width=640&height=360&albumId=20591430&albumKey=Xf9Jp7"></iframe>
  7. Xmoto

Xmoto Death Race

Oddometer:
    When is icebox.
  8. natedog39

Oddometer:
    New Years day, weather permitting.
  9. crankshaft

crankshaft Guns are for pussies

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  10. UngaWunga

UngaWunga Mosquito bait

Oddometer:
    spam alert....

18" rear Kenda ice tire & liner with 1.25" screws. A box of extra screws so you can finish off the pattern. $100/bo. Pic
  11. B-Rod

B-Rod RubberNecker

Oddometer:
    Managed to get out riding today. We got a friend out for his first time on ice, and his KTM 350 EXC is a bit of an ice weapon! It is so easy to go fast on. Just have to keep the revs up. I currently loading a few lap rip on it. Stay tuned. In the video, it is the end of the day, and we are tired. I didn't know I was being followed, but I was riding my friend's bike with a moderately fecked rear tire. It is super fun and easy to set up in a bit of a drift, so I was just doing circles around the bottom end of the pond. The owner of the bike is very fast, despite the tire. That said, he's very lucky he was wearing elbow pads. He was doing about 50 km/h tight circles, when he thought he'd try to climb up and ride the bike side-saddle (yup). It didn't work, and he fell. All I heard was the giant ripping sound as the tire just about ate the sleeve off his jacket.

[​IMG]

The Fournier tire is amazing!!! The 350 has Fournier's 18", which is a fraction squirlier than the 19" (18" Bridgestone M102 vs 19" Pirelli MT44), but it's really difficult to measure, since the 19" MT44 NEVER looses grip. . . . .ever! Not snow, not rough ice, nothing.

Not many pics, but it was a good day. It's amazing how much fun you can have on a 40 acre pond.

In the video, it is the end of the day, and we are tired. I didn't know I was being followed, but I was riding my friend's bike with a moderately fecked rear tire. It is super fun and easy to set up in a bit of a drift, so I was just doing circles around the bottom end of the pond. The owner of the bike is very fast, despite the tire. This is a tire I built last year, and I built it despite receiving the wrong tire, and run at very high pressure (on bad advice), thus it was never really that good, but it's predictable drifting makes it fun all the same.

<iframe frameborder="0" scrolling="no" width="640" height="360" src="https://api.smugmug.com/services/embed/2248176898_WH7gVbj?width=640&height=360&albumId=25761091&albumKey=V4BG8Z"></iframe>

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. Xmoto

Xmoto Death Race

Oddometer:
    :thumb Nice pic's.
  13. natedog39

Oddometer:
    First Ice ride of the season, sweet.

I'm not sure I envy you yet though.

Winter must be 9 months out of the year up there.
  14. crankshaft

crankshaft Guns are for pussies

Oddometer:
    Getting the itch now:lol3 If the 350 worked that well, my 500 should be even better!
  15. B-Rod

B-Rod RubberNecker

Oddometer:
    It snowed twice last winter, and the ice was always thin enough to send a wave as a bike went by, and it was wet all but two times we rode. I live in an area that is regularly hit by chinooks. It was raining last night, but now it is -7ยบ C again. Boo. That's a bit cold for me.

Your 500 would be insane on the ice, but there is something about wringing the neck of a smaller bike that makes you pick up the speed. The suspension is very nice on the ice. My 530 is an '09, which is quite a bit softer than the '08, but the '13 is really nice on the rough bits.

Smugmug keeps screwing with the 350 video. I sort of want you to see how fast it is!

Here it is. Youtube ruins the video.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1qpXz7HYALU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  16. Xmoto

Xmoto Death Race

Oddometer:
    Got [​IMG] ?
  17. theothersean

theothersean dirty boy

Oddometer:
    if anyone is interested in a set of tires I have a set forsale . located in central mass

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=850301

I was planning to keep the YZ for this season but some one showed up with cash in hand so away she went and the tires are available .
  18. dirtyoffroad

dirtyoffroad Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    The 10 day forcast showed some excellent ice making temps for around here ,I cant wait:clap
  19. Nice_Rumble

Nice_Rumble Long timer

Oddometer:
    Drove by the Pond today and its open water so unless there is a hugh change in temperature between now and January 1st, it will be postponed to a later date when the ice is thick enough. Just for clarification, "Ice Box" is an invitational event put on by MVTR for it's members and guests. It is not open to the public.

[​IMG]

Nice Helmet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One year it was a bit warm.