18 Months 84R100RS to CS (forced) conversion/restoration DONE

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by HughUno, Dec 22, 2012.

1. HughUno

HughUno n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello, have not posted here much (or for a long time), but finally got 99.9% done on my post-almost-totalled-not-really-my-fault wrecked 84RS. I am the original owner. I bought the bike brand new from Savannah BMW (aka Epps Johnston) when I was stationed at Fort Stewart GA. Almost the first day of summer 2011, the day after I got the bike back from some service at Morton's BMW, I almost totalled the bike (thankfully only relatively modest, beat up bad, but no ER required damage to myself).

Damage to the bike was extensive front and back, forks, pipes, valve covers, seat pan, fairing, hadlebars, controls (OK, like Gomer Pyle in the Mayberry episode about Barney's used car). Frame was not bent and engine was fine. Not much else to salvage. I always had wanted an "S" anyway, so it was (modestly) cheaper to convert my RS to a CS (prettty much the same as an S). Mortons BMW did most of the work. Parts were all NOS, mostly from Germany. Euro controls (can turn off head-light) and went with K75 bars. Final bits was some stainless brake lines, oil-cooler cowling (custom painted), and some ebay original luggage racks (with some minor welding needed). Total Miles = 56K. I think it turned out pretty well, but the timing isn't the best (I do ride in cold-weather).

PS, it cost me $2K+ more to restore than to BUY the bike brand new (but I am not complaining much).

[​IMG]
  2. ME 109

ME 109 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's a sweet looking bike! 81-84 is the pick of the crop (imo:wink:)
    Nice seat cover too.
    Did you get your triple tree straight?
  3. Mark Manley

Mark Manley Long timer

Oddometer:
    Money well spent I would say.
  4. photorider

photorider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice work. That's a beautiful machine.
  5. darmahman

darmahman "Illogically Deluded" Supporter

Oddometer:
    :clap:clap:clap:clap:clap
  6. HughUno

HughUno n00b

Oddometer:
    thanks for the comments folks.

this is the only digital picture I have of the bike as an RS. Circa 2001 (the boy is MUCH bigger now!).

Honestly, I wanted an "S" from the time I was 14 years old (reading Cycle Magazine), but the RS was the closest thing they had at the time. I didn't even know BMW was even (still) making S's (really CS's) at the time--few were coming to the USA at any rate).

The bike as a CS is 110% different motorcycle. Much more "in the wind" and not nearly as comfortable at highe(er) speeds, but quicker turning/handling and a little bit faster acceleration. The RS was very comfortable in high speed cruising (100 mph or so), but the CS/S is a more fun-factor experience and (much) easier to drive in the twisties.

[​IMG]
  7. Houseoffubar

Houseoffubar HoFmetalworks.com

Oddometer:
    Very very nice, love the new look too!:clap
  8. Ctscrambler

Ctscrambler 2010 Scrambler Black

Oddometer:
    Wow, looks much better as an "s"! I may do the same with my 81RT, on the way to slowly turning into a scrambler as time and $ permit (talking 10 years or so, several young kids).

I agree, on e of best looking airheads I've seen in a while. Enjoy