DRs, Colo Passes, Yadda, Yadda

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by bonedale, Aug 13, 2007.

1. bonedale

bonedale Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A mini-report of my friend and I with our DRs this past weekend. The plan was to leave Carbondale to Marble to CB via Scholfield, then camp. Next day hit Hancock and Tincup and anything else that looked like fun. Then head home that evening.

After a short work day, and last minute supplies, we are off to the Crystal Mill outside Marble. This road is no joke, ironically I have never been up here. My friend has many times.
    [​IMG]

Next, Scholfield Pass and the Devil's Punchbowl. Nothing to say other than it's everything you have heard. Kicked my ass good and I was spent. Started the pass with a sweet heavy duty clutch, ended with a tight wreak of one. Heavy duty my ass. Need to work on that the skills here. My friend smoked the pass pretty good. Only dropped the bike once, but twisted the knee funny. This will spell the end of his trip eventually. :cry
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Down Scholfield, pass Emerald lake, through Gothic into our favorite town in the state easily.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My friend and I went to School in the Gunnison Valley and still to this day, can't get CB out of our souls. Feels good to be home.
    [​IMG]

After a beer and some grub, we decide it would be nice to start the next day from Gunni, and not the CB area, and work our way back to CB over Hancock and Tincup. So off to Gunni in the dark to a camping area we know all to well. This is about the time my friends knee starts to hurt seriously and even starts some muscle spasms.

After no sleep for my friend, it was clear his trip is done. This sucks, I can't tell you how long we waited to explore our old haunt on our new DRs.
    [​IMG]

Torn miniscus (sp) is the result of yesterday's carnage. So we wait for his lady to pick him up and his ride. Well, he waits and enjoys some muscle relaxers and I try to quickly nab a pass. So I head over to Ohio Pass to do some exploring. I used to spend a lot of time out here in school painting landscapes in art classes and remebered this little grove of Aspen's as I approached. So much more fun on a moto :clap
    [​IMG]

After loading my friends bike in the truck, I was off to tackle some passes. It was 2:00, so the lack of pictures was because of time pressures.

Ohio City, sweet place. Across from this old Post Office is one of the best restaurants, the Gold Creek Inn, if I remeber correctly.
    [​IMG]

Through Pitkin and on my way to the Alpine Tunnel and Hancock Pass.
    [​IMG]

At this point I thought I was heading to Hancock, but really was heading to the Alpine Tunnel. That road is kick-ass fun and the views are unreal.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now, really going to Hancock Pass. Had I known before it was a tough pass I would have been psyked out and probably sucked at it worried about being alone with no help if needed, bla, bla. But, I pushed hard up the pass, or rocky creek if you want to describe it more acurately and cleared it with only nap time break for the DR.
    [​IMG]

After nailing that pass, I was feeling really good and just rolled through the rest of my trip. The scenery around Hancock is just incredible.
    [​IMG]

On the way down, ran into a Dakar doing the TAT I was told from an another group of thumbers that talked to him. Talked with the group of fellow tumpers for a bit as we were both headed to Elmo.

Next up, Tincup Pass. This pass is just an amazing experience. The low difficulty allowed me to just flow over the pass with good speed. The DR just kept the same smooth rpms, and seemed to make no sound at all as it just ate the rocks and whoops. I was alone since it was getting late and that really added to the experience.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

With rain clouds in chase I did a quick stop at Mirror Lake and hauled ass to CB through Taylor Canyon. Getting a little wet near Almont.
    [​IMG]

Fuel in CB and no time to hang out, I headed over Kebler Pass bound for home. The sun set on me over Kebler and seemed to last forever. Again, minus one GS stopped to view the sunset, I am alone. Standing on the pegs, I just cruz through the Aspens. Just enough light so I can't see the headlight in front of me. Completely silent, freaky cool.
    [​IMG]

And that was it. About 400 miles, maybe more, I'll have to check the ODO. Really sucked my friend hurt his knee. I know that's the kind of thing that can happen doing this stuf, but it made the rest of the trip feel a little empty since I know I'll have to do it all again when he is better :evil
  2. fixn2go

fixn2go Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :clap Looks like you had a great time . I've done almost all of those trails except Schofield but that's because of a snow slide , 15' across the punch bowl spot , had to go around on Kebler to get back to camp but what fun! I like your choice of bikes , I bought a DR650 and it's a whole lot better than the ol KLR 650 except for running down the highway. You guy's probably run around above Ruedi Res. for an afternoon ride. Seeya on the trail.
  3. bonedale

Oddometer:
    Ruedi is my "instead of lunch" twistie ride. Haven't been up there in a while. One of my next rides though is going to be Hagaman Pass, Lime Park, etc. Should be a short 100+ mile loop back to my house. We'll see. Now that my DR is a 14t up front it has lost a lot of it's highway smoothness. Vibes are higher as well as loosing 10mph. It now feels unhappy on pavement. Don't blame it though.
  4. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Colorado D-S riding paradise! Thanks for the great pics and report :thumb
  5. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    I went mountain biking /camping above crested butte for 5 or 6 day's it was so amazing I didnt want to leave, ride to 12,500 ft elevation and pick one of many single track's and zip down the mountain. Wildflower's up to my elbows and perfect traction on trails that get watered every day, huge aspens, really great trails!Durango was fun too as was riding down pikes peak at full chat! And then racing the Kamikazee downhill at Mammoth a week or so later. busy vacation.
  6. bonedale

Oddometer:
    I hear you, the mountain bike trails are some of the best in the state. Rich grabby soil, great loops with tons of water crossings, Aspens with trunks larger than pines trees, and then you get to finish in town.

And now that I have a DS, I am seeing a whole new side to the area. Some great, some not so great. I had no idea Pitkin, Elmo, Tincup and Taylor was in the hands of ATV riders.
  7. Deano955

Deano955 Insatiable

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

NICE!
  8. racket

racket Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :clap How enticing!!! :thumb :thumb For such awesome pics!!!
  9. Chanderjeet

Chanderjeet "IndiYeah & SveriYeah!!"

Oddometer:
    This is one of those threads that makes me wanna come to colorado more and more..

Thanks for sharing. Btw, Whose bike is with that plastic laundry basket thingy.
  10. bonedale

Oddometer:
    :lol3 ahhh yes Chanderjeet, you would be referreing the the plastic milk crate on the back of my friends DR. The best part is I only took mine off for this trip. They are ugly, white trash looking containers, but for some strange reason work perfectly. Our DRs have come a ways since stock, but cargo systems are still being figured out.
  11. Chanderjeet

Chanderjeet "IndiYeah & SveriYeah!!"

Oddometer:
    :D You should have seen when i first started touring. I only had a fake LA lakers luggage bag that i would tie with rope and go along...:ricky
  12. bcbadger

bcbadger Adventurer

Oddometer:
    wow....colorado looks alot like British Columbia (or is it the other way around?)
    Makes me want to pay your neck of the woods a visit in the future. Great photo's and trip report. Bummer about your friend's knee, hope it's getting better. Thanks.