New R1200GSA Accessories?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by CZman1, Mar 31, 2012.

1. CZman1

CZman1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello, I just purchased a Triple Black R1200 GSA. I expect delivery sometime in the next week. I am moving up from a KLR 650 that I purchased last July and was my first ever bike. Based on that experience I have already ordered the following accessories:

PivotPegz Mark 3 footpegs
    Hammerhead shift lever
    Rox 2" risers
    Jesse Bags Safari panniers, top box and rear compartment

at some point in the near future I will probably add:

Fuse box of some sort
    GPS
    Gerbing (or other) heated controller
    Brake pedal extension
    Giant Loop tank bags
    Additional lighting

I was wondering if there were any other accessories I should consider? What protection is the bike missing?

Oh, and what kind of oil should I use? (just kidding, been happy with Rotella T dino oil in KLR and will keep using in BMW)

Thanks.
  2. BeeMaa

BeeMaa Submariner

Oddometer:
  3. Hikertrash

Hikertrash Wasted Rock Ranger

Oddometer:
    Congrats! The GSA is my 2nd ever bike and I've only been riding 6 months. Great upgrade :) After getting a dent in my 2011 GSA oil cooler from ka rock on the highway on the ride home for buying at the dealer, I put an oil cooler guard on it as well as a headlight guard. The other mandatory add on for me was a side stand enlarger. As heavy as the bike is, last thing I want is all the weight on that small side stand foot. Most other add one would be determined on whether or not you plan to take it off road or not. If you plan todo your ow maintenance, I'd also get JVB DVD.
  4. rallen

rallen "Lost with a Purpose"

Oddometer:
    TKC Tires
    Hyperpro suspension
    Rally Moto Steering Damper
    Flexx Handlebars
    Acrapovic Titanium Exhaust
  5. kjclark7

kjclark7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    plus 1 on the mudsling. great product and works great. but i would say go with the maier mudsling. my father inlaw bought one for his gs and paid half price of the machineart one for his. i checked them both out side by side, and besides the name on the side, you would never know the difference. so spend only $60 and get the maier one. or spend $130 and get the machineart one. your call. if i was to do it again, maier one for me! spend the other $70 or so you save on another farkle :evil just my .02 cents

[​IMG]

http://www.maier-mfg.com/catalog/bmw-r1200gs-adventure-rear-splash-guard

[​IMG]
  6. BeeMaa

BeeMaa Submariner

Oddometer:
    I was trying to remember the other company that made the mud sling cheaper, but couldn't think of it.
    Thanks.
  7. CZman1

CZman1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the input....a mudsling, oil cooler and headlight guards seem like sound investments. I am running the TKC 80's on the KLR and love them. I am a bit confused by the hyperpro suspension upgrade. Is there a problem with the stock rear shock? On my KLR I needed to upgrade the suspension because it was so weak for a guy my size (6'6", 280lbs) and went with Ricor IAS rear shock and Intiminators on the front. I was under the impression that the stock suspension was more than adequate on the GS adventure.
  8. kjclark7

kjclark7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    stock suspension is fine. after you put some miles on the bike, then think about upgrading the suspension. there's plenty of other things to get for the bike.
  9. NoVa Rider

NoVa Rider Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'd consider a headlight guard.

[​IMG]
  10. apexal

apexal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Get it and ride it. It will be clearer to you at that time.
  11. CZman1

CZman1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    glad to hear that the suspension should be fine...i was worried for a short while. I agree that things will be much clearer after I ride, but some of the ergonomic modifications I knew would be necessary and I had a good experience with the Jesse bags. I've started to looking into headlight guards but that opens up a whole new can of worms. I appreciate all the feedback...thanks
  12. t6pilot

t6pilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    BMW= Bring More Wallet
    You have just begun
    Enjoy super bike
  13. TimothyCaseTimothy

TimothyCaseTimothy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like a cheap product called "Crampbusters." It basically adds a clip-on (easily removed) wide paddle that you can rest your throttle and non-throttle hand on for longer rides...they work pretty awesome... I also added a battery tender and that's about it so far...I picked my Triple Black up last November...love it...
  14. 2Vulcans

2Vulcans Let's go...

Oddometer:
  15. rboett

rboett posser noob 205 Supporter

Oddometer:
  16. angtlalaska

angtlalaska Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you stay on the road no need but if you are off road or ride on gravel a lot you might look at a bigger bash plate that covers the headers and catalytic canister better. I have an Alt Rider but there are a number of them available, all better than OEM.

I upgraded to 1offMotorsports Xenon 6000K hi and low beams. I used the Denali D2 LEDs on the upper crash bar but should have gotten Clearwater Lights Kristas. Being seen even in the daytime is good.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p>http://www.altrider.com/altrider-skid-plate-for-bmw-r-1200-gs/pcid/688-5 </o:p>
  17. aGremlin

aGremlin Long timer

Oddometer:
    The only issue is that I believe Maier ripped off the Machine Art one, and when confronted, didn't care.

If you're going off road, I absolutely recommend crash guard extensions, advdesigns.com has them. Had multiple drops, the guards are worth their weight in gold and then some.

More protection: oil cooler guard, headlight guard, drive shaft crash bung.

Don't forget to ride it!
  18. mikegc

mikegc Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
  19. WindSailor

WindSailor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I too did the 1-Off mod and then some. If you plan or seriously considering a HID system your bulb warm up time especially for the high beam is going to be somewhere in the 20 sec range... your high beam will come to full power in about 20 seconds. If you don't want that lag time in your high beam then stick with the halogen. There are halogen infrared (HIR) lamps also to consider (haven't tried them just seen them advertised - here is one example http://www.lightbulbs4cars.com/product/HIRH7).

I'm running 50W Morimoto ballasts with D2S Philips 85122+ bulbs. The Morimoto's cut down the warm up time, but they are no where near 'instantaneous'. This setup took considerably more time and money to get it to work, but it has more light too. Basically the Morimoto's would cause the canbus to sense an overload condition on the low beam side of things and disable the circuit (too high of an amp surge to cut down the warm up time). I had to run the low beam on a relay system and then use resistors in parallel to keep the load up so the infamous LampF error wouldn't show up. The high beam side of things worked just fine as is. There evidently is a difference in the trip point on the low and high beam circuits.:huh And had to visit the local machine shop to mod/manufacture a bulb holder so I could use the D2S bulbs. So definitely more work than the 1-Off mod.

Was it worth it? If the bulbs and ballasts last 6 years or so... then probably (and yes who doesn't see a bike running HID's). If not then it would have been the halogens (or the halogen infrared (HIR) lamps) and the 'Krista' lights setup.

Also installed a SPAL fan on the oil cooler for hot days and sitting idle or :eek1 traffic jams just getting to where I'm going.

Edit- And running Hyperlites... big fan of the flashing brake light.
  20. WindSailor

WindSailor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Forgot another one I had... and don't see listed yet...

BMW 2006-2012 R1200 GS Adventure Engine Guard Extensions- Stainless Steel- You can get them at AdvDesigns:

http://www.advdesigns.com/r1gsaenguex.html

The stock crash bars that come with the GSA don't really protect the cylinder heads from damage from simply 'rolling over' or being dropped. These help in protecting your cylinder heads when being dropped as shown in the bottom pic. I haven't tested them yet but I'm sure I will at a later date.

And conrgats on your new bike. I just moved up to the 2011 GSA from the 650 Dakar. It's more than double the bike I had earlier, great on the twisties and the suspension is to die for. But not a mud bike... gravel ok, but not mud.