Rally Navigation Roadbook Creation

Discussion in 'Racing' started by MotoMinded, Jun 21, 2012.

1. DaveRMS

DaveRMS 404 Not Found

Oddometer:
    Nope, I'm a traditionalist. Paper all the way! KISS is the answer.
  2. HogWild

HogWild Skott Whitknee

Oddometer:
    Except when you're creating the roadbook, in which case an all new and innovative software tool can make all the difference. Thanks to Mike and Dave and a few others, roadbook making is about to change! :thumb
  3. DaveRMS

DaveRMS 404 Not Found

Oddometer:
    Mike's on his honeymoon, so we won't have anything more to say for at least a couple of weeks. Stay tuned. You can bet that we'll leak our progress to this thread first.

Dave
  4. theantipaul

theantipaul Reforming Neandertal

Oddometer:
    Hey Kenaroo, thanks for the tulips those are nice, before I load the rbeditor software, does it print out in a RB format and make page breaks? Could you tell me a little more about it and maybe a screen shot?

I like that idea and will clean up the notes I have with that in mind. Thanks
  5. Seth S

Seth S My avatar is ok. Your screen is broken

Oddometer:
    We might try running a PDF version of the stage notes we use for rallying in the USA on an Ipad for one of our next events. Currently have a paper book that works well enough. But always interested in trying something new. The ipad has the advantage of being backlit thus eliminating a map light which can be distracting for both codriver and driver and no need to turn pages which can be tricky with some technical sections. Might also open up improved highlighting.
  6. 640 Armageddon

640 Armageddon Xplorer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Seth, how robust are the ipads in accidents/drops though ? ... I mean, there should be a paper version with the each crew no? :huh
  7. Hayduke

Hayduke ///SAFETY THIRD/// Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tulips! I've been using RB editor on some roadbooks I'm working on, too. :thumb
  8. MotoMinded

MotoMinded Rally On Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice!
  9. Seth S

Oddometer:
    If we can work it out so we can run a PDF version I will of course have a paper copy in the car as well. I will have the Ipad in some sort of protective case and likely come up with a way to help secure it in the car. The trick to surviving a crash is not to crash. This again will be in a car not on a bike and this is for a stage rally not a navigational rally.

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Mfb7ZFSNZek?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Mfb7ZFSNZek?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
  10. Hayduke

Oddometer:
    Paul,

You can edit the print size in RBeditor. Also text size, etc. There are some things I don't like about it, but for most purposes, like recreational roadbook rides, I think it works pretty well. I have a nice loop down this way that I put together; I'm hoping to have a little weekend ride next summer; out of time for this year, I'm afraid.
  11. kenaroo

kenaroo I am because i ride

Oddometer:
    Seth:

the Kraken Ipad cover works great.. I'm in construction and it's holding up well to dust, dropping and thrashing around my truck on a daily basis.
    http://www.tridentcase.com/shop-pro...-2/kraken-ams-case-apple-new-ipad-ipad-2.aspx

Paul... I agree with HayDuke.. RBE is pretty good. I actually print to my PDF converter and change the sizes to get two pages on one 8.5x11 sheet.

think if you had a Zebra printer that prints rolls you could use that for continuous rolls
  12. Seth S

Oddometer:

We have a xerox plotter at work that prints on 34" wide rolls that have to be several hundred feet long. I suspect they would frown upon me printing roadbooks out on it but the ability is out there.
  13. Hayduke

Oddometer:
    Under "Roadbook" and "properties" you can convert the size of the roadbook; I find that 400 pixels wide is perfect for the F2R roadbook holder, but I can't do two pages on a sheet.
  14. Hayduke

Oddometer:
    Paul,

Here's an image of a printed page from RBE. I still need to drop in the tulips, but it's an idea of what it looks like...

[​IMG]

The thing I dislike about it is that the text section on the right is not very adaptable; everything is the same size, same font, etc. and no way to add an image there (for up/down indications or HP, etc.)
  15. theantipaul

theantipaul Reforming Neandertal

Oddometer:
    That'll help a lot, I made a sketch in Solidworks and printed out a bunch and then just hand marked up what I needed, having it digital and taking out some rows and adding headings will get me what I want. Thanks guys.
  16. crankshaft

crankshaft Guns are for pussies

Oddometer:
    Lifeproof just came out with a case for the iPad. I have one for my phone and it's really rugged. I drop it daily and I've even stepped on it:lol3
  17. Bluebull2007

Bluebull2007 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sounds good guys, looking forward to those snippets.
  18. Myway

Myway Long timer

Oddometer:
    It is not about making a roadbook, but reading it.
    Have you seen this.

Roadbook navi

only the paid register version has roadbook.

By downloads you can download the newest version (free mode and paid mode )

Extract the zip. The .exe you can also open on your PC/laptop.

About the roadbook:
    The software use images as data, (.gif, .png, .jpg) and store it only as pages like: 001.gif....002.gif..... into one directory called Roadbook.

I do not have it on the bike, so not tested.
  19. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    Video of Trippy software Roadbook creation. You can also make one while riding, waypointing turns, hazards and places along the route

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/IlVPnllvUzQ?list=PLC6DA827E7238E2C7&hl=en_US" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

and a look at the finished edited and printed paper roadbook ready for tape and your choice of roadbook carrier

[​IMG]

and what it looks like being used on the unit

[​IMG]
  20. gafrol

gafrol Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am a Tripy II user since more than two years (europe) and I am very happy with the device. I haven't seen any better screen readability even under direct sunlight. Also I like the routing engine vwhich let's you choose between fastest,shortest etc. and "touristic" route guidance. The maps are from Teleatlas and are stored directly on the device.

As an occasional motorbike rallye rider I really would like to see one more feature added to the Tripy II. Until today I am using a traditional roadbook holder (Touratech) and I am sick of using this old fashioned bulky error-prone and expensive thing.

I am not an expert but I believe it should be possible to scan paper road books with an image scanner and convert it into a Tripy like format or at least in a pdf/gif/jpg file in order to display it on the Tripy. Currently there is no image or pdf viewer installed on the Tripy. I already contacted the company by email, still waiting for an answer. Anyone else interested in such a feature ?

Roland