Worth modding cruiser suspension (suzuki m50)?

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by MariusD, Mar 11, 2013.

1. MariusD

MariusD Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm wanting to improve the road absorbtion of the front suspension of my suzuki m50 for a smoother ride. Right now the bike has 12k miles and riding it for consecutive days tends to beat me up a bit. The front end seems to bounce a bit from all the small road imperfections, so I'd like to somehow mod it to soak it up better and get a smoother ride. I'm sure going to a better shock oil might help, maybe it's low or something anyway. But I wonder if anyone has done suspension mods on a cruiser? Where did you get the parts or who did the work and how did it turn out?

I did e-mail Race Tech this morning, will see what suggestions they have, if any.

I'm looking to get an adv bike at the moment, but I would like to keep this one as well as I really do enjoy it.
  2. das ist gut

das ist gut been there done that

Oddometer:
    If you really like the bike, make some mods.

Damping adjustment and maybe spring change will improve any ride.
    This really is one of the changes most riders should make.

Way cheaper than getting another bike, which will be asking you for suspension help too!
  3. jearnshaw

jearnshaw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I hear ya my Shadow has the same problem and if I keep her I am looking into Progressive springs.

From what I have read it supposed to help a lot.
  4. MariusD

MariusD Long timer

Oddometer:
    All the searching Ive done so far has been for my specific bike and didn't find much of anything useful. I'll try searching for cruisers in general.

I hope Race Tech gets back to me with something useful. I'll also try to e-mail Progressive and Ohlins next.

I agree though, most stock bikes have minimalistic suspensions that leave much to be desired and hopefully improved.

Good article here:
    Why Upgrading Your Motorcycle Suspension is Important for Motorcycle Safety.
    http://bikerlawblog.com/2009/02/18/...ing_wp_cron=1363056854.4489340782165527343750

" For cruisers there are plenty of choices – Progressive Suspension, Works Performance, Race Tech to name a few."
  5. MariusD

MariusD Long timer

Oddometer:
  6. MariusD

MariusD Long timer

Oddometer:
    Progressive replied to my email saying they have no solutions for the M50... boo...
  7. B.Curvin

B.Curvin Feral Chia Tamer

Oddometer:
  8. MariusD

MariusD Long timer

Oddometer:
  9. Tenni126

Tenni126 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've used Works stuff on my less sporty rides (no reason other than it just worked out that way)...a BMW r90/6 and a Guzzi California and they made a huge difference for not a ton of dough. I'm sure all the other companies have stuff in similar price ranges. Front springs are around $100 or so, rear shocks were like $500 I think for the basic "these don't suck" model. If you like the bike I'd say it's worth the money.
  10. MariusD

MariusD Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cool, thanks, that's very good to know. I appreciate your input. The works I think is the last one of the bunch of companies that I have not emailed yet. Will do that now.