WABDR postcards

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by chrome bandit, Oct 13, 2012.

1. chrome bandit

chrome bandit Wide footed adventurer

Oddometer:
    We took the 8410 bypass as well. We ran into a crew who attempted 8410 coming from the north, they said they turned around due to overgrowth. They were riding KTM, Yamaha something, and one guy was on a 650GS.

[​IMG]
    Taken somewhere along the Slide Ridge segment, the area is rebounding after forest fires

<iframe frameborder="0" src="http://photosynth.net/embed.aspx?cid=bb30bd46-54a1-44ea-84d9-aca84252f14a&delayLoad=true&slideShowPlaying=false" width="500" height="300"></iframe>
    This is a Photosynth panorama of the Slide Ridge area…the view is looking east over the road we just passed through. The synth will look better if you use the widget control to go full screen.

[​IMG]
    You can just see Mike on the upper right on the road through the trees.

[​IMG]
    Good example of the typical road conditions along the trail. I didn't capture any of the treacherous stuff on my camera, we did grab some video footage which I'll share in a later post.
  2. One Fat Roach

One Fat Roach honey badger

Oddometer:
    Ouch I couldn't imagine going up that shit. We went down it and I kept thinking in my head we took the wrong way. No way I.pictured hundreds of riders traveling through that stuff.
  3. chrome bandit

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Camped at Rock Creek Campground, which had one of the cleanest WA State standard issue bathrooms we've ever seen. That's the Nemo Morpho 1P on the left, and the latest edition Redverz on the right.

[​IMG]
    Descent into Ruby

[​IMG]
    End of the dirt section in Ruby

[​IMG]
    Slow down when you see cow pies. This is north of Conconully. We actually started to herd the cows with bikes further north, which was scary. Will share video footage of that later.
  4. chrome bandit

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Mike came into one of the corners north of Conconully a little hot, front tire hit a stray rock, and the bike lowsided pretty fast. After inventory check, Mike was a bit sore, nothing broken, but…

[​IMG]
    …the highway pegs punctured a hole into the left valve cover, and the bike was leaking oil.

[​IMG]
    After a little clean-up…

[​IMG]
    …an application of 60 minute JB Weld…

[​IMG]
    …wildflower gazing…

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    …a visit with these two fine gentlemen from West Seattle…

[​IMG]
    …hammering on the dented panniers with a BK2…

[​IMG]
    …and otherwise enjoying the air at 6300 feet…

[​IMG]
    …we were back in motion.

And the patch lasted great the rest of the trip. Mike does good work.
  5. Shooby

Shooby Long timer

Oddometer:
    JB Weld is awesome!

:lurk
  6. chrome bandit

Oddometer:
    JB weld is indeed awesome. The key is to travel with the 60 minute curing time edition, not the 4 hour curing time tubes, otherwise you're in for a bunch of downtime.

One other fun fact: good thing we crossed over to Canada later that day, Mike's ribs were hurting just a bit, and let's just say that the Canadian pharmacies carry Ibuprofen with an extra bit of kick that we don't get here in the states. Of course, if you do make a purchase, you have to remember to use them all up before coming back into the US, as they're not allowed here. So, say, for example, that you carry your passport in your top bag and when you open that up by the window, the CA edition of pain killer is sitting right next to that...don't do that.

:thumb
  7. chrome bandit

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    The road meanders through more landscape recovering from forest fires

[​IMG]
    Finally dropping down onto hardtop, where we zip into Nighthawk…

[​IMG]
    …the US side of the border crossing.

[​IMG]
    That night was spent in the municipal park at Grand Forks in Canada.

Let me also add…Route 3 east out of Osoyoos is a wonderful road, I didn't grab any stills, Mike might have grabbed some video. Highly recommended.

[​IMG]
    Eventually landing in Glacier, where I'll wrap up this segment of the report with a "I was here" shot, taken in the highly competitive entrance sign zone.

The video production crew is currently under a heavy workload, we'll get a video up in the not so distant future.
  8. chrome bandit

Oddometer:
    Let's close out our WABDR journeys with a little bit of video footage, featuring well rutted roads, two bike dumps, and cow herding.

<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/80514354?portrait=0&amp;color=ff9933" width="600" height="450" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe> <p><a href="http://vimeo.com/80514354">WABDR 2013</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/toastsensei">craig kerwien</a> on <a href="https://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

Mike captured hours of footage via a GoPro, and you'll be thankful I've edited that down to a few minutes and accelerated it 4x, enough to give folks a taste of the trip. Good fun all around.
  9. Comrade Arturo

Comrade Arturo Veterinario

Oddometer:
    Congrats on completing the WABDR :thumb
  10. paschalis

paschalis gone4riding

Oddometer:
    What a beautiful place and pics!!
    Thanks for the trip!!
  11. One Fat Roach

Oddometer:
    Great photos. Is the video on YouTube?? O can't watch anything in Vimeo from my phone. No CPU access either =(
  12. chrome bandit

Oddometer:
    Thanks gang! After completing the trip, I must confess that I did pick up one of those WABDR stickers, sorta like an "Achievement unlocked" badge for the bike.

@Bassplayinroach: Apologies...Vimeo only for my vids. When I look at their mobile page, seems they have an app for every mobile platform out there...

https://vimeo.com/everywhere

...but Blackberry. Perhaps one of those will work for you? Lots of good quality on Vimeo. If you are riding shotgun with a Blackberry, that's a tough platform to be on right now, some other BB users seem to find some viewing success via the Origami browser.

And for anyone who hasn't been on the WABDR yet...definitely do plan a trip, it's awesome. Just don't do it on Tourances like I did, put some knobbies on those rims. :0
  13. One Fat Roach

Oddometer:
    Im.on a windows phone. I'll try again.

Will you be doing the WABDR again this year?? :evil
  14. chrome bandit

Oddometer:
  15. One Fat Roach

Oddometer:
    I downloaded the app and finally watched the bid. Awesome!!

I'll be doing some of the Oregon next year as well. Heading to Colorado to meet up for a KLR rally and do the COBDR in July. That should be amazing.

chrome, if you do Vancouver island shoot me a pm. I live in Bellingham and have been wanting to catch the ferry over there for a weekend. Maybe some time.this spring eh??
  16. Mudclod

Mudclod Mojo Moto

Oddometer:
    Great RR, thanks!