Atlantis 4 - brief report (prices, buying, hot weather)

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Gruesome, Aug 26, 2011.

1. Gruesome

Gruesome Alter Heizer

Oddometer:
    Source & pricing: German ebay regularly has dealers ( [in 2011] I assume they are dealers, or people selling non-moving stock for dealers) selling Atlantis 4 jackets and pants around 400 euros (each).
    A BMW dealer near Chicago (who did not stock the suit) was offering 20% discount on the $1800 US MSRP (before tax) without much prodding on my part.
    An alternative solution would be to try to get a discount from an authorized European dealer (15%, resulting in a price of 1260 euros, currently $1800, were offered), and then get the VAT refund (19% in the case of Germany) at the airport. The lines at the VAT export booth were very short at Paris CDG airport. No idea what one does though if a whole plane load of Japanese tourists with Vuitton bags is in line in front of you. I hadn't researched US discounts yet at that point, so I couldn't buy during that trip to Europe.
    I did try on both size 52 euro/42 US (my normal size) and 54/44, and decided on 54 so I'd be able to fit an extra fleece under the jacket during the colder months.

Buying & shipping experience: Late June I pulled the trigger on a size 54 combo. (Total price a bit over 800 euros including shipping, about $1100.)
    The particular ebay seller I dealt with would not ship directly to the US. I specified a German delivery address. Getting paypal to accept my credit card was an exercise in frustration. PP saw 'a high risk of failure' (their words) in the transaction if paid for via CC, but apparently were perfectly willing to let me take that risk by paying directly from a bank account... Very funny. In the end paypal accepted a different CC.
    DHL shipping to the US was also more exciting than necessary, all tracking information stopped at Frankfurt airport, and I had already initiated a lost package investigation when the suit showed up after three weeks (two weeks late).

Hot weather experience: I wore the suit for two 20 minute rides in 90+ degree weather. It did not feel uncomfortably hot while moving or at red light stops (whereas an old Harro leather combo definitely does at those temperatures), but my T-shirt was still pretty soaked afterwards. I think the relatively stiff back protector helps, as it creates an air cushion between back and jacket/back protector.
    A day later I wore the suit for an hour in highway rush hour traffic, at slightly lower temperatures (high 70s): very comfortable as far as temperature, riding position (on 1150GS), and absence of wind-induced movement are concerned, except for the fact that the top of the back protector seems to hit my neck or helmet [see comment below: only happens when pants sit too high]. I had not tried the suit on with a helmet before (I did try the different sizes sitting on a GS). If it stays like this I might have to shorten the protector a bit, or buy a slightly smaller protector. Otherwise everything fits as planned, in particular the protectors do not move around as they seem to do in other jackets and protector vests I had tried.

Bugs splatter nicely and can be wiped off with relative ease.

So much for my buying experience and initial impression.
  2. NJ Moto

NJ Moto Glory Bound

Oddometer:
    No love for Aerostich's Transit suit?
  3. Gruesome

Gruesome Alter Heizer

Oddometer:
    Cold:
    I wore the Atlantis 4 several times for one hour each in the mid-thirties (F, not C...), and it was warm enough with a thin (cashmere) sweater underneath.
    UPDATE 10 April 2012: A bit too cold at 39ºF with just a T-shirt underneath.
    Rain:
    Dry at interstate speeds for an hour; leather surface at upper arms was soaked, no leakage.

Some weight info for the Atlantis 4 jacket (EU size 54): jacket without armor weighs 1.9 kg, the protectors weighs 1.0 kg, for a total of 2.9 kg (6 lbs). The pants with protectors weigh 2.3 kg (5.1 lbs).
    It takes exactly 5 minutes to put the protectors back into the jacket; rolling and folding makes it pretty straightforward. Without the protectors the jacket is definitely wearable for 'normal' non-bike use.
    I got used to the size of the back protector. A buff tube solved the neck air intrusion problem.
  4. _cy_

_cy_ Long timer

Oddometer:
    any more feedback on Atlantis 4 suit?
  5. Gruesome

Gruesome Alter Heizer

Oddometer:
    Mine is still waterproof (measured in one hour commute on 1150 GS), and still warm enough in the thirties with a thin sweater and work pants underneath. The zippers are also still holding up, no problems so far, I'm careful though. The fit at the neck is still too loose (and not adjustable), but one of those neck gator tubes fixed that.
  6. Gruesome

Gruesome Alter Heizer

Oddometer:
    Interesting find comparing the wording in BMW catalogs:
    In 2011 the Atlantis 4 description says 'so you can stay dry for several hours without any rain overgarments.'
    In 2012, it is 'so that riders can stay dry during short rain showers without needing any rain overgarments.'
  7. _cy_

_cy_ Long timer

Oddometer:
    about the only negative with Atlantis 4 is hot weather use .. it's way too hot for summer use!
    without back protector it's a bit cooler in hot conditions. back protector really bulks out suit in back.
  8. AlwaysRolling

AlwaysRolling Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I love my Atlantis 4 suit. It has leaked in specific areas only one or two times (and one of those times was being in about four hours worth of heavy rain (with maybe one of it barley moving due to an accident on the road).

CY, I agree the suit has a bulky back protector, but even that I don't mind because the protection seems so good. I read the new updates to the suit will used the slimmer back pad.
  9. Jim K.

Jim K. Long timer

Oddometer:
    How much did it weigh after the hour on the autobahn in the rain?
  10. Gruesome

Gruesome Alter Heizer

Oddometer:
    Glad you asked. ;-) It doesn't feel significantly heavier, which makes sense, since only the top layer gets soaked. I think BMW says the outer 10%. 10% times 1.2mm times 1 square meter ( ~human surface area) = 0.012cm * 10,000cm^2 = 120 cm^3, which is 120 gram or four ounces of water. Give or take a factor of two.

Also, it wasn't the Autobahn, just the Eisenhower...
  11. _cy_

_cy_ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Atlantis 4 after a few hours of driving rain doesn't feel much if any heavier because leather has not absorbed much water.
  12. AceRider01

AceRider01 Fully Loaded

Oddometer:
    the back protector pushes a bit against the back of my neck with my riding posture. Got a pair scissors and knives, and gave a bit small shaving - problem solved
  13. Gruesome

Gruesome Alter Heizer

Oddometer:
    I thought about doing that. Where did you cut material off, at the top or bottom?
  14. AceRider01

AceRider01 Fully Loaded

Oddometer:
    top:

1) the middle part where it is sticking up higher - cant remember how much was cut off but only a small amount.

2) the shoulder blade area - i used the knife slice down a little (40 degree angle) to thin the last inch of the armour a little.
  15. Gruesome

Gruesome Alter Heizer

Oddometer:
    I finally figured out why my Atlantis jacket back protector sometimes bumps into my helmet: it only happens when the pants (connected by a zipper to the jacket) sit too high. If the pants sit too high inside the jacket, the zipper connection pushes up the bottom edge of the back protector pouch. I can't believe this took me three years to figure out! In my defense: it only happens rarely.

So after all I'm not going to trim my back protector...
  16. AlwaysRolling

Oddometer:
    That back protector is bulky, but it feels very effective.
  17. _cy_

_cy_ Long timer

Oddometer:
    after almost selling my Atlantis 3 Pro jacket ... have come to conclusion, Atlantis 3 better than Atlantis 4 for warm weather use. was actually figuring out how to add vents to AT4 .. had completely forgot about AT3 in the closet.

AT3 has underarm vents, lighter due to thinner leathers used and smaller back protector.

scales says AT3 jacket is 5lb 11oz .. AT4 is 7lb 2oz, both size 54 euro .. some of the differences is due to bulkier armour but most weight is due to thicker leather.

after switching to all leather was really bummed when I had to switch back to Motoport mesh kevlar when temps got above 85f ..

flat forgot to try AT3 in closet. also rediscovered my BMW goatskin pants (size 52 euro), substantially thinner leather at 3lb 13oz vs AT4 pants (size 54 euro) at 5lb 0oz. my BMW kangaroo jacket is super light and excellent for summer but has no armour.

[​IMG]
  18. AlwaysRolling

Oddometer:
    Is that Atlantis 3 still waterproof?
  19. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have experience with washing and/or re-waterproofing their Atlantis 4?
  20. AlwaysRolling

Oddometer:
    Hello there, I have avoided placing my Atlantis suit in the washing machine for two reasons:

1. I am concerned the agitator might put stress on the threading.

2. I don't want to diminish the factory waterproofing treatment: The 'owner's manual' said that after a several washings (with the special BMW detergent), the suit should be returned to the dealer for professional water proofing.

Instead of using a washing machine, I have either tried to clean specific areas with a wet towel, and/or held the suit under the shower in order to rinse off dirt, etc.

At one point I had leaking areas, but I spritzed those with the waterproofing chemcial they sell in the same pack along with their detergent. -Be careful, there are two versions of this detergent/waterproofing pack, one is for leather suits, and the other is for textile suits.

Regarding my two points above, if you have a washing machine without an agitator, and which has a gentle cycle, then washing the suit with their detergent may cause any concern. I don't know to what degree the suit retains its waterproofness after a washing machine run. Maybe _CY_ can comment on that.

Are you wanting to wash your suit, but concerned about having to rewaterproof it, or are you having leaks and wanting to rewaterproof it, or neither.