Spit out a bolt.

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by neepuk, Apr 19, 2014.

1. neepuk

neepuk Such a drag...

Oddometer:
    I went down to the tech day in Denver today, met some nice folks, got my carbs all sync'd up and learned a bit more about airheads. I almost made it all the way home when my bike decided it wanted to start sounding like a cross between a VW bug and a KLR. Is was still running great except for some popping on deceleration, lost no compression, and seems fine except for this noise that from the seat sounds like a big exhaust leak. I pulled over to investigate and found that it spit out the bolt that used to fill this hole. I walked up and down the highway for a bit to try and find the bolt but had no luck...
    Limped the bike home carefully the last few miles making certain not to stir up any dust or debris that could get in there. Is this a special bolt of some kind or can I just pick on up at a hardware store and call it good?

[​IMG]
  2. supershaft

supershaft because I can

Oddometer:
    It's an oilhead sump drain bolt. Anti-seize, aluminum crush washer and 22ftlbs and they never come out. Same deal minus the anti-seize when they are plugging a sump! Do not use red loctite. First off, there is no need for it. Secondly, you might want to take it back out.
  3. neepuk

neepuk Such a drag...

Oddometer:
    I pulled the bolt bolt out of the other side, looks like a drain plug of the same size would fill the void.
  4. neepuk

neepuk Such a drag...

Oddometer:
    Ahh, thanks. I'll see if I get lucky at a Napa store or something...
  5. supershaft

supershaft because I can

Oddometer:
    BMW dealerships sell THE best metric fasteners.
  6. ysrebob

ysrebob yessiree, Bob.

Oddometer:
    M16 x 1.5mm drain bolt, good auto parts store should have. Matching crush washer is 16x20mm I think.
  7. neepuk

neepuk Such a drag...

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the detail. I should be able to find one tomorrow. The closest BMW dealership is 100 miles away from where I live.
  8. motu

motu Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer:
    Where's that hole, and can I have one too? I can't even see where I have to drill and tap to fit one.
  9. Warin

Warin Retired

Oddometer:
    :rofl .. It is for 'anti smog' .. some sort of 'clean air' thing... most people spend money removing the fittings ... and then plugging the hole. (it is only in the exhaust tract)

Neepuk- internet + mail order is your friend. Get your self the regular maintenance things + ware items - cables, brake pads and some gaskets for oil replacements oh and of course the oil filter and air filter. You may find them as a 'kit' - can be cheaper that way.
  10. FrankR80GS

FrankR80GS BoGSer, what else?

Oddometer:
    Hi, originally the SLS-system plugs in this hole. SLS is short for Sekundary air (Luft) System, which (feeds back exhaust gases into fresh air) that was rubbish, it feeds fresh air to the exhaust to lower CO and HC emissions. Maybe in the US the GS wasn't equipped with that.
  11. 100RT

100RT Long timer

Oddometer:
    My 81 R100RT spit one of those out years ago but sadly it took the threads with it. Had a machinist make new bolts with heavier threads and loctited them in. Still holding and I see no reason to ever remove them.
    Good luck
  12. CptImagine

CptImagine NCC-1701-B

Oddometer:
    I've fixed too many of these things . In my expierence, it seems the rustier ones go away, especially after the bike sat a long time . ie. years of storage . Glue hell out of it, mainly for a seal . The heat there is high enough to burn off any thread locker . Before installing the allen head plug, drill a 1/16" hole into the wrench recess . SS safety wire around the exhaust spigot will keep them in place .
  13. FrankR80GS

Oddometer:
  14. 100RT

100RT Long timer

Oddometer:
  15. AntonLargiader

AntonLargiader Long timer

Oddometer:
  16. neepuk

neepuk Such a drag...

Oddometer:
    Done. I've got two spare oils filters, one air filter, crush washers, rotor brushes, and a few other items on hand. I keep a close eye on brakes and will pick them up as needed, and all my cables are new as of a couple months ago.

I try to avoid internet ordering and mail order parts as much as possible. Having worked at motorcycle dealerships in the past and seeing them go out of business, and good people losing their jobs doing what they love and are passionate about, I choose to give my business to the closest good dealership that sells what I'm looking for at a reasonable price. I don't want my local dealer to be gone when I really NEED them one day. For my BMW parts I use Grand Junction BMW exclusively. Their parts guy is awesome, stocks quite a good supply of airhead parts and knows the bikes VERY well. They provide me with a great pricing structure and take the time to get to know their customers. I'll continue to pick up factory parts from there whenever possible. For my KTM and dirtbike parts and accessories I use KTM Of Aspen in Glenwood Springs. Same story, they know my name when I walk in the door, know what I ride (they sold it to me a few months ago), have great stock on hand of parts and accessories, offer great pricing and usually discount my purchases at the counter. The internet can't compare with quality customer and personal service that I've found in my two favorite shops so I will continue to do my part to keep them in business.
  17. FrankR80GS

Oddometer:
    Yes, you are right. Sorry for the mistake. I didn't know that BMW introduced the SLS so much earlier in the US. Does anybody know on the reasons? Was that by law? What about other brands to that time?

Many riders in Germany disabled the system since it caused trouble with synchronisation and idle running.
  18. DiabloADV

DiabloADV Semi-Occasional

Oddometer:
    My 81 g/s has that system. I removed it and put in an R1150 drain bolt and crush washer. Got the engine nice and hot and gave it one more eighth turn. It flows fresh air to the exhaust port to ignite any remaining fuel. Unburnt fuel vapor being a major contributor to smog. Search for pics of Los Angeles air in the 1950s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  19. CptImagine

CptImagine NCC-1701-B

Oddometer:
    Word had it in the day, California specs required the system for pollution . Supposedly all MCs sent here US had the system, from around 1980 . BMW on their dime removed the systems if requested . I have about 20lbs. of the stuff in a box .
  20. globalt38

globalt38 "A Fist Full of Throttle"

Oddometer:
    CA basically drives the U.S. Auto industry specs - particularly emissions wise. They pass a law requiring something or "no selly here" :deal and the rest of the U.S. gets it by default!