Impact Jacket Airbag: anyone else got one?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by John Smallberries, Sep 24, 2009.

1. John Smallberries

John Smallberries Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi;
    I have two riding days now with an Impact Jacket airbag jacket on my 1200GS. So far, I like it and am 3-for-3 in getting on/off the bike without forgetting to disconnect the tether! I did find the supplied carabiner to be far too small to easily manipulate with riding gloves. A trip to REI found a good replacement. The material and CE shoulder/elbow armor seem solid.

I'm interested to hear of any good/bad stories with these airbag jackets.
  2. Xeraux

Xeraux Archvillain

Oddometer:
    Be honest with us when you absent-mindedly dismount the bike and inflate your jacket.
  3. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Or, crash, and, land on the c02 inflator thingy.
  4. Xeraux

Xeraux Archvillain

Oddometer:
    I would hope that the fully-inflated jacket would prevent injury from the cO2 inflator mechanism-thingy. That would seem kind of back-assward if the jacket itself injured you. :umph

(I hope he never has to report a crash. :uhoh)
  5. kikele

kikele Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I´ve been using one of this jackets for the last two years, and for me is like when you get out of your car, you never forget to unfasten your seat belt or dou you? OK but this is a motorcycle and you never did in the past so probably the first times you have to remember, but after a while you get used to. Regarding the CO2 cylinder there is a risk on getting injured with it, but I´ve riding motorcycles my whole life, and fall down a lot of times, and never I felt down on my chest it has been always on my back or side.
  6. hennikerjd

hennikerjd I am Jack's wasted life

Oddometer:
    oh please let this be caught on video... :lol3
  7. John Smallberries

Oddometer:
    Hi
    ok I'm now 9 for 9 rides without inflation. It's good to hear of someone two years ahead of me and still using the jacket. With regard to the CO2 tank, there are different locations. The Hit-air jacket has the bottle on the chest. My Impact Jacket carries it down low by the "love handles" on the right side. I've got ample biological cushion in that area!

I promise to 'fes if I screw up.

Craig
  8. Ducman69

Ducman69 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Its almost 2010 and they rely on a physical tether to deploy this?

Sensors are dirt cheap and tiny nowadays. Just look at a nintendo wiimote, it costs $25 and can detect various levels of motion sensitivity from up down, left right, twist, and tilt, and w/ the new motionplus add-on know its place in realspace.

Integrate a simple circuit that is off until motion activated to conserve battery, and then doesn't arm itself unless the ignition is in the ON position and you're either X-distance from the bike or experiencing a bodily acceleration that is X-factor different from those on the bike.

That way its smarter, more transparent to the user, and foolproof as long as you don't walk away from the bike with the engine running.
  9. John Smallberries

Oddometer:
    Hi;
    I understand that Dainese has a jacket that works as you desicribe: sensors and no thether. Here is a YouTube video of it in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mo9Vlt5tGwY&feature=rec-HM-r2

I agree it would be more convenient - but the tether requires no battery, no microprocessor - it's dead simple.

You would think BMW could easily engineer a solenoid-operated attachment point for the tether with a starter interlock and automatic release after the ignition is turned off. Maybe one day.

For now, I'll just focus on avoiding being an idiot.

Craig
  10. HaChayalBoded

HaChayalBoded Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer:
    turns out a friend of mine's old man or uncle manufacturers these, I forgot the brand. That co2 canister is fucking huge and looks dangerous. Would be nice if they used screw on canisters or standard airgun type canisters. Otherwise I'd pull his string to see how it works...:lol3

another thing I have an issue with is this. When you get thrown your body instinctively protects itself, covering your face or chest, crossing your hands in prep for a roll, e.t.c. Seems to me a giant ballon covering you would limit you from doing much of anything and kind of force you to ragdoll when you might not have without the jacket.

Anyway, he has an extra one thats too large for him, I'll borrow it and report back.

EDIT: Brand is hit-air
  11. John Smallberries

Oddometer:
    Hi;
    My Impact Jacket CO2 cartridge is threaded and looks to be very easy to replace. One differentiator between the Hit-Air and the Impact Jacket is the location of the cartridge: on your chest with Hit-Air, by the "love handle" on the Impact.

Neither jacket "blows up like a balloon" - they have internal tubes that inflate on either side of the zipper on your chest, down your back and around the back of your neck.

If you are You Tuber, just search for airbag jacket and you will see videos of both jackets in action.

Let me know how you like it.
    CMR

PS - I'm now 15-for-15 on/off cycles without inadvertent inflation! I hope to add at least one each day while the weather holds out in SE Michigan.
  12. MeterPig

MeterPig Meh

Oddometer:
    Not the answer you are looking for, but I have crashed hard several time on my 661 suit. It is dorky looking, but no broken ribs yet. I have crashed far more on a dirt road, rock strewn road, trees everywhere than on the street. Something to think about.
  13. rickypanecatyl

rickypanecatyl SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer:
    So what happens if you forget? Is it as serious as having an airbag in your car go off where you could bust your nose or get burned? Is a one time only thing or if it goes off can you reuse it?

Sounds like a great idea - very curious?
  14. HaChayalBoded

HaChayalBoded Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer:
    I was wondering that also.
  15. John Smallberries

Oddometer:
    Hi
    If you accidentally deploy the airbag, you unscrew the empty CO2 cartridge and the air comes out. You flatten it out, refold the neck ring and tuck it back in. Reset the valve and screw in a new cartridge. I admit I haven't done it myself yet, but it looks easy. It is definitely not like a car airbag that uses an actual explosive charge. The CO2 tanks sell for $22 online, but they threw in a free one with my Impact Jacket.

I'm on my second week riding with it and am very happy with the purchase.

CMR
  16. John Smallberries

Oddometer:
    Search YouTube for airbag jacket. It will answer most of your questions. From what I saw, an accidental inflation will only hurt your pride.
    CMR
  17. Craigart14

Craigart14 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Impact's website says it takes 20-35 pounds pull to inflate the jacket. If you forget to unclip, that much pull should remind you before the jacket inflates.

There's an interview on youtube with a guy in the Baltimore area who hit a car on an expressway at 80 mph, flew 50 yards and slid another 50. Broke his thumb socket but nothing else, came away with some sore ribs but no serious injuries. Sounds pretty good to me.

Craig
  18. Craigart14

Craigart14 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The impact website doesn't have a lot of details. Which model do you have? Do you know what the differences are? Does it have a liner? Vents? Have you ridden with it cold/chilly/cool/hot/scorching weather?

I like the concept a lot, but I can't seem to find out much about it from the site.

Craig
  19. bootzilla

bootzilla Blah Blah, Woof Woof

Oddometer:
    A guy in my MSF class was a sales rep for Hit-air, and he brought a couple of jackets to the range to demonstrate them - no chance of getting hurt by the inflation, it expands with nowhere near the force of an automotive air-bag, and it inflates in the chest and around the back of the neck, so nothing inflated in front of your face.

If anything, I kinda thought it inflated a bit too slowly, but this was a few years back, and they may have improved the design since then.

About the co2 cartridges - the jackets we checked out were the screw-in type - and I am pretty sure they were Hit-air...maybe they were the Impact, though.
  20. Bandit240

Bandit240 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    These seem like a fancy version of the inflatable life vest that have been in use for years on boats. I've worn my share of them and have worn them when they inflated. They don't hurt, but fall on deck and hit that inflater and it leaves a mark. Couldn't imagine how one of them would feel hitting pavement at speed.