KTM ADV 990 or 950..??

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Gren, Jul 16, 2012.

1. Gren

Gren Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't want to start a war but I'm finding it hard to decide between 990 or 950 so thought I'd ask the experts which is best..?? I have heard that the last of the carb'd models is a better bet but at the moment I can get a 990 cheaper than a 950....:huh so any info u have would be great...
  2. el Pete

el Pete toda su base

Oddometer:
    I think the only real advantage of the 950 over the 990 is a smoother throttle response, so my advice is test ride the 990 and if you like it, buy it. Others may disagree, but they're worng. :thumbup
  3. drdfblackm

drdfblackm VeeFeer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oh this is the thread I was just about to write, no kidding.....the exact thread.

I am just about to to buy now. :ear
  4. DesertSurfer

DesertSurfer Tail sprayin

Oddometer:
    In general these bikes weren't expected to get incredible fuel economy... but the 990 efi gets better fuel efficiency. The low rev throttle response on the 950 is very consistent. 990 low rev response in some years is jerky. Some have made major reductions and solved this on the 990. It only really is a serious problem when creeping along, either in traffic stop and go... or trail crawling.

The 990 motor gradually evolved with some smoother, more effective internals. Of course that comes with having many more years of continually tweaking it.

The 990 has fuel filters in the individual fuel tanks, which are reported to be minor hassles for cleaning/ clearing.

The 950 had earlier versions of the waterpump shafts which were not hardened, only coated and wear grooves that cause the seal to go out. Later model 990's were deemed better. This is a point to keep an eye on with all models. Same with the fuel pump.

Both models have the side stand attached at the engine case, which needs a relocator aftermarket kit if offroading or hopping curbs... to avoid cracking open the case by way of side stand bottoming out on something.

950 stock seat is a sharp weapon best to avoid if possible. Later model gel seats made a difference. This topic of best seating type is very opinionated.

Early 950's had weak clutch slave cylinder internals, believed caused by the constant heat from the motor. Later 990's were deemed to have better internals. Another sensitive area to monitor in general. Aftermarket slave cylinders have shown favorable results.

Both models tend to experience high temperatures. Some opinions are that the preferential low center of gravity fuel tanks minimize heat dispersing off the motor. Some have reduced these effects by adding aftermarket second fan kits, along with adding lower temp thermostats.

Very early 950 had a style of head bolts that caused the head gaskets to wear through. This was an early TSB, and should be confirmed replaced/ repaired by a dealer.

There were other TSB's with both models, make sure they were accomplished properly.

The larger vinyl stickers on the earlier model 950's tended to bubble under the tank with heat/ sunlight/ age, however this varied.

Most importantly, these bikes are a F&*K'IN BLAST and should be warning labeled " Caution, this product can cause permanent SHIT EATING GRIN syndrome.

Just my peanut's worth.
  5. Gren

Gren Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Brilliant many thanx :clap 950 it is then.....get the speed triple up for sale and then let the search commence.....:D
  6. Gunslinger1

Gunslinger1 GIVE'R

Oddometer:

AT what year did they become better?
  7. MT950

MT950 "OLD" Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't think you can really go wrong on either ! Have owned 2- 950's and 1- 990 (all Adv's) 2 bought new. 05.5 Was a great bike(never any issues) except WP (easy fix) . The 07 990 was a great bike EFI / ABS had no issues(except pricey fuel filters and fuel pump in gas tank) . However, I went back to an 06 Adv. S , its just what I prefer!! You'll get the "fun factor" with any 9xx Adv. !!! Good luck !!
  8. Balsta

Balsta Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1 :d
  9. crofrog

crofrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd say by 2006 the 950 adventure is basically in the same place as most of the newer 990's from a part update standpoint. I'm sure someone will be along shortly that knows all the exact model year changes. IMHO I'd get as _new_ as I could afford, but I'd not get a high-mileage newer bike over a lower mileage old bike. Just be aware that the older you go the more likely you are to need to update some parts, but nothing incredibly expensive IMHO.

What year did the clutch basket change? I know the early bikes like mine had a TSB for servicing the clutch basket.
  10. DesertSurfer

DesertSurfer Tail sprayin

Oddometer:
    Let's not take info and re-paraphrase it out of context.

The motors of the 990's have slight tweaks over the years. The cranks have different balancing, the bore and stroke is different. Combine all of that with EFI and you have what many describe as a much smoother, less vibrating and quieter ride.

Although I may be tempted to claim being a purist for keeping my Early 950 S, I can't ignore the facts. Nor should anyone else considering a new purchase.
  11. Gustavo.Ramos

Gustavo.Ramos Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got both 950 and 990 Adv.

950 response is much better/confortable, fitted with knobby goes everywhere.

990 is a bit jerky, needs to get used to (3 or 4 kms of stop n' go), fitted with road tires is a blast in the twists.

No major mech issues. The 950 already did 2 raids de l'Amitie in Morocco and still going strong.

They are a bit thirsty, but the thirst comes with the FUN factor!

Get'em both! :wink: (and probably start looking for another wife!)
  12. Douf

Douf Limey Bitch

Oddometer:
    Just to be sure: You are planning to use the 9x0 as intended?

Otherwise: the KTM maybe the proverbial 100hp dirt bike, but - on the road - you might not have much of a 'stupid grin' to wipe off after owning an S3.

Douf
  13. drdfblackm

drdfblackm VeeFeer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Would you care to elaborate more on this. :ear
  14. Gren

Gren Adventurer

Oddometer:

Yeah thats the whole point because I'm becoming a f**king liability on the speed triple and need to slow down as I want to go see some places (europe) before I become to old...lol
  15. AMS4KTM

AMS4KTM n00b

Oddometer:
    From MY2010 there were improvements to the cylinder heads.
  16. Douf

Douf Limey Bitch

Oddometer:
    From a purely road going 'hooligan' perspective, the vibe of the 955 S3 - as a slightly rough around the edges/barely sanitized motor - is somehow similar to a 9x0...except the Speed Triple has a healthy dose of extra power (one moto-journalist related how he would shift gears on the thing just to hear it shifting, which characterizes it fairly well). With only that mission in mind, a former Triumph owner might not be particularly impressed with the Adventure. Happily though, it appears from subsequent posts that the OP intends to venture further afield, so the KTM ought to be a good choice.

Dunno how old you are, but you've probably got a few years left: at age 74 my old man did 2K+miles around Colorado/Utah in a weeks' worth of sport touring, and he was riding the Speed Triple (my bike carried all of his luggage though)....

Douf
  17. Gustavo.Ramos

Gustavo.Ramos Long timer

Oddometer:
    Old and wise! :D
  18. Gren

Gren Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have the 1050 speed triple and yes it's a awesome bit of kit.........and the only reason I bought it was to have a right good time hooning about but my interests have changed as I want to see the world (well europe and a lot more of Scotland) and with the S3 this would be to uncomfortable and also would like to carry a pillion again like I did a few yrs back, also would like to do a bit of trail riding and learn to ride off road.....a week ago I went to have a look and seat on a 08 adv 990 the only thing that is pushing me to a 950 is the jerky throttle which wouldn't do my confidence any good while riding off road I also talked to a local dyno shop yesterday about what they recommend between the 950 and 990 they favored the 950 as they have had quite a few 990's in on the dyno trying to dial out the snatchy throttle yes the 990 has more power but once u've done a few bits n bobs there won't be much between them I don't think so it looks like a 2006 950 could be just the ticket for me as they seem to be the best and last of the carb'd models....