Windscreen FAQ

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by JimO, Apr 11, 2002.

1. JimO

JimO Adventurer

Oddometer:
    As you may know, i volunteered to prepare a windscreen FAQ for our forum. Certainly not because of any expertise, rather because i have some available time. I am now at a stage where i need some feedback.

Everything is open for comment but specifically there are some screen where i'm unable to find information and some where some additional member comments would be helpful. Its fairly obvious where information is needed so i won't list them here.

Please review and comment on Windscreen FAQ.

Thanks.
    Jim
    g r a n t likes this.
  2. cRAsH

cRAsH Banned

Oddometer:
    Let's stick this badboy up top... :thumb

Nice work, Jeem.
  3. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    The Varioscreen can be bought online from Germany for $158.

Here's the link.

http://www.boxer-design.de/en/Varioscreeen1150.htm

It shows a price of $130. When I enquired, they told me my order was ready for $158 (presumably the difference is the shipping cost.) Pretty aggressive, since I hadn't actually ordered anything. Still haven't.
  4. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    Sorry, terribly rude of me to forget to acknowledge the hard work you put into this. JimO, this is a great resource and will help many people who need :1zhelp . I hope people contribute and help it grow.
  5. drholm

drholm Easily Amused

Oddometer:
    Way to go JimO. I think you found yourself a permanent position writing FAQs on all the standard topics. Very nice piece of work. Think you might be able to include a few pics of the screens you are discussing? It might help some of the new guys that haven't become as obsessed as some of us.:evil
  6. Randall

Randall Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice work JimO! Lots of work I am sure. Really looks good!

Should be very useful to folks asking about screens.
  7. Boredsurfer

Boredsurfer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very impressive w/ excellent content!! - Thanx Jim.O. (Not suggesting extra work here, but this format could work for bags, bars, lighting too) glad you are on the forum.
  8. murf

murf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Real nice job, how many hours if I might ask?
  9. eap

eap El Adventurero Solitario Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice work JimO - we're ready for an encore! :super

Although personally after 10K miles, I don't have a problem with the stock screen or seat, irregardless, you put together a great format that that can be used as a template for future FAQs.

In addtion to product reviews, the format will work great for Wrench Retard faqs, - I was thinkin about that Valve adjustment FAQ - The pics are there and some good comments on that thread ....

A FAQ on throttle adjustment would be good, ABS breek bleeding (fluid change), Clutch fluid change etc....

It's great to see the site grow... (No I'm not volunteering for now).
  10. drholm

drholm Easily Amused

Oddometer:
    Hey Razor...maybe they are in ILLYNOISE but they didn't show up in IDYHOO! All I get is a little white rectangle with a red square, green circle and blue triangle in it.

I know...I know... it's all my fault...but WTF did I do?

:(:
  11. JimO

JimO Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Sid. I'm not sure how to handle this. I was thinking that keeping costs at MSRP was the best approach as it avoids some potential issues re: keeping the pages up-to-date with current best prices. In some cases i had to convert dollars to get a MSRP in U.S. dollars however the MRA website does not have prices on their site. My preference is to use a high or average cost but I'll submit to the forum on this. Perhaps i should remove the reference to BMW of Santa Cruz County as it might mislead people into thinking this is the only place to get the screen in the U.S.
  12. JimO

JimO Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The primary reason i took this on is because i'm currently off work on strike. Being a fellow Ontarian you've probably figured out that i work for the provincial government. This makes me an easy target so be kind. :):. I'd be willing to take on some other subjects, being off from work only impacts turnaround time. Bags or bars would be easier as they are a little less technical but i'd be game for taking a stab on lights too with some help from the membership. Anyone have thoughts on the next section of our FAQ or does it matter at this point?

We also need to figure out how to integrate this with our (actually, Baldy's) forum. The other problem i have is that i have a 25 MB monthly download limit for web pages and 5 MB for content with my service provider which i suspect may not be enough but willing to go with this until its a problem. Anyone have thoughts on any of this? Listed somewhere under "Hall of Wisdom?"

Thanks
    Jim
  13. JimO

JimO Adventurer

Oddometer:
    murf, not really sure. Five or six one evening but there were a couple of shorter sessions. While i don't do web site development, like many on the forum, my career is IT so hours in front of the computer isn't really a chore. Add to this the topic and time flies.
  14. JimO

JimO Adventurer

Oddometer:
    epfister, some great ideas.

On a possibly related note, I think we do need to be careful not to duplicate work that might be elsewhere on the web. There are a few great sites. I saw a brake bleeding FAQ recently with four or five different ways of doing it however it may not have gone into sufficient detail. I think it might have been MicaPeak.

As a first step, perhaps we can collect some links and add these to our FAQ and then decide which topics are missing or weak and develop these ourselves. We may also want to save some of the work at other sites in case those site disappear.

I'd be willing to take the collected links and put them into our FAQ but i'm sorry to say that your topics would too technical for me to develop.

Jim
  15. JimO

JimO Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Dave, unfortunately I don't know why this is happening but I would like to try to duplicate this. If you don't mind, which browser are you using? Could you send a screen capture (Alt+Prnt Scrn)? My e-mail address is jim-oneill@sympatico.ca

Jim
  16. Red Bull

Red Bull Owner - Sonoma Moto - BMW certified Tech

Oddometer:
    Nice work. Only recommendation I can come up with is:
    "How do they work off-road?" (Many are too big or fragile for heavy bouncing off-road. Also many handle bar (grip & lever) protectors can hit the shield. Noticeable missing was the "Touratech" rally shields. All-in-all it is wonderful to have a "best of" on equipment with member comments.
    :nod
  17. joesimpsonpc

joesimpsonpc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    here (in europe) there are a lot of windscreen types, do u wanna receive any addresses???

lamps
  18. JimO

JimO Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Lamps, certainly. Why don't you send me a couple to start with just to ensure that i understand what you're referring to.

Thanks.

Jim
  19. JimO

JimO Adventurer

Oddometer:
    John, good idea - I'll add a blurb at the beginning indicating that off-road factors need to be considered.

Probably obvious but i'm not sure i understand the handle bar protector issue.

I remember consciously deciding to the omit the rally shields but don't remember why, it was probably in a moment of laziness. I'll add the Touratech options.

Jim
  20. JimO

JimO Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Updated the windscreen faq with a blurb about offroad use, reference to the Boxer Design Draft Deflector and added the Touratech, Witec and Boxer Design windscreens. I couldn't find much to say about these screen - if anyone has anything it would be appreciated. I'll sort the windscreens within the page soon.

I haven't received any responses to my subsequent posts in this thread. This needs to be participatory. All i'm asking after are ideas and constructive feedback - no real work should be required for sometime yet if this is a concern.